My First 5K tomorrow!

Options
So I have had the goal of running a 5k for almost a year now. I have had injuries and surgery that has delayed and on the spur of the moment decided to run my first tomorrow! I know this is a small thing to so many of you but what advice or help can you give me for tomorrow? Anything and everything is appreciated. I was so excited when I signed up and got the bib today. Then tonight I told my husband that we need to be there at 4 race at 5 and his response was that he had yard work and wanted to know if I really wanted him and the kids there or if they could come at the end. I'm so mad, I just told him to do what he wants. :( I want a picture to remember this and wanted them there for the support...

Replies

• good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    just take your time and strive to complete. that will be agreat motivator for you. Don't change your eating routine because it could mess insides up. and Have Fun. Best of luck, hope to hear how you do!!!
  • Kgreenlaker
    Kgreenlaker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Start at a nice comfortable pace then pick the pace up after mile 1. I made the mistake of going gangbusters at my first 5k and barely finished. Also one of the reasons I got hooked on 5k races was that there were so many people cheering you on at the finish. Very motivating. Hopefully your family catches on.
    Good luck
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    First, this is a big deal to many people! I ran my first a few months ago and I am so hooked. I just did my 5th a few ago. I don't bring my family. They really don't care. What has made a huge impact is my friends. I started running with 3 friends from work and we do the races together. We help each other finish. My girls are 13 and they have been in track for 2 years. They started running with me as well. They smoke my time but my goal is to finish. My hubby thinks it is stupid to run unless someone is after you. So, I don't want him ruining my excitement. Everyone who runs is very kind. Ask someone to take your picture! I bet they would! Best of luck to you!
  • Iwanttosucceed2
    Iwanttosucceed2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Just pace yourself, watch your breathing, and focus on the finish. Also watch what you eat tonight and tomorrow morning so you don't have to worry about GI issues. I started running 2 years ago and have been running ever since- it gives me incentive, goals, and a way to keep the weight off. My husband never attends my races either, but I still give it 110% of my best effort regardless of whether or not I have anybody waiting for me at the finish line. Leave us a post afterwords and let us know how you did! I was hooked after my first 5k finish 2 years ago and have successfully completed other races of longer distances including a half marathon. Have fun!
    :flowerforyou:
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    Agree with the PPs - don't try anything new, pace yourself and most of all, enjoy it! Remember to smile and soak up the atmosphere! Good luck!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    When my family attends, it's usually only at the finish. A few times they've caught me somewhere out on the course, but it's no big deal if they're only there for the finish. I try to tell my wife - "Here's when I expect to be crossing the finish line." Then I give her a time about 15-30 minutes earlier than expected (in case, as usual, she's late, or as isn't usual, I'm faster than planned). The more I race, the less they show up, and now I basically just do my thing then go home and hope somebody notices I'm actually in the house. But in YOUR case, I think it's perfectly within bounds to let your husband know it's HIS job to be here, here, here, and there at this time, this time, and that time. With kids. And "Let's Go MOM!" signs. And flowers at the finish line sure would be a nice touch. Not to mention a "We're proud of you Mom!" post race dinner somewhere. Sit him down and seriously tell him just exactly how important this is to you. If need be, hit him over the head with it (Sometimes men don't grasp things so quickly. Plus, non-runners can really struggle with this. He's got a double whammy working against him. Poor shmuck.).

Some advice:
    1) Bring either a change of clothes, or towels for your car seat for the ride home. Nothing worse than a stinky car that smells like your stinky butt-kicking victory. If the race has a shower facility, feel free to use it.
    2) Your first race is something you'll always remember. Enjoy it, enjoy it, enjoy it.
    3) There are always going to be studs, speed freaks, and grizzled vet war horses. Let them do their things, and you do yours. If you find yourself around them before the race, walk away and find a group that seems like scared newbies. Those are your race day buds. Find people to talk to, pre-race. Hearing other peoples' stories and/or sharing yours can help take the edge off your own nerves. However, hanging out around the stud racers will have the exact opposite affect.
    4) Drink lots of water pre-race, and make sure you have a nice lunch. You don't want to run out of energy mid-race. Bonking is the pits.
    5) Did I mention have fun and enjoy it? Truly, there's nothing like race day. It's a magical mystical moment.
    6) Calories immediately after. It'll help you recover better.
    7) That all over body pain Sunday morning? That the feeling of victory baby! Some advil and a little tlc will work wonders. Past that, some days there's no better feeling than that post-victory burn. It reminds yourself of the butt-kicking job you did the day before, tearing that course to shreds.
    8) Enjoy yourself and have fun. That's what race day is for. Joy and fun.

Hope this helps!
  • AmberCHM
    AmberCHM Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I have no advice; just want to wish you the best of luck!!
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm excited, nervous and who knows what else right now. Going to leave in about an hour and half to get there early.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I had a great run! Time wasn't great but it wasnt about the time. It was about finishing it without walking. I can mark this off my bucket list now. So glad I did it. Thanks for the encouragement!
  • Moeincognito
    Moeincognito Posts: 126
    Options
    I'm so happy for you that you got it done! WELL DONE! : D
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    WAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!