Talk me off the (metaphorical) ledge...

Options
Okay. Since November have been working so hard, being so good, did my low carb diet that totally worked, plateaued big time and then started MFP, eating more and upping the exercise. Lost 60 lbs so far and am not looking back.. however, went to try on the stupid bridesmaid's dress I have to wear in July and the back part doesn't zip up. By a long shot. After taking measurements, hips, bust and waist better than where I was before when I ordered it.. but have actually gained inches through my back. Seriously? Am I the one female who actually CAN bulk up while not even working to do so?

So disappointed! Now I'm not going to run off and find a x-large pizza to work my way though or anything and am still committed, but honestly I'm so disappointed!

I feel faced with considering some unhealthy low calorie (or worse HCG) diet for a month just to try and lose 20 pounds. So unhappy though as I believe the eat more / exercise and do weights way is what I really should do for the rest of my life.

Any advice on coping with current disappointment and dealing with the next month and a half? Not like I can just spot reduce my waist and back.. or does someone have a magical cure?

Okay.. vent done. Thanks :cry:

Replies

• Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    Well I can tell you with certainty not to do HCG (or at least not waste money of the drops). My mother-in-law and sister both went on and talked me into it too. I was very skeptical, but I though of it as an experiment. I decided I would do it for 21 day. I monitored how much I usually ate, which came out to 1700 cals on average a day. By eating exactly 500 cals a day I estimated that if there was no help from the supposed fat-burning drops that I would lose 7 pounds on the diet.

Long story short, I suffered three weeks of being dizzy every single time I stood up. I couldn't sleep a full night through, and I was in the absolute worst mood. At the end of 3 weeks I'd lost 7 pounds.

The drops obviously didn't do ****.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Not saying I will or want to do something like HCG. I WANT to be focused on long term health. But the immediate concern is the stupid dress!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Keep up the great work and have the dress altered or replaced.
  • Klamber26
    Options
    Well you said you haven't actively tried to "bulk up", which I assume means you don't lift weights. Then I would suggest adding that do your exercise routine. Building muscle makes you more compact, not bulky. Just don't give up or resort to something drastic.

I also think that perhaps your original back measurement was taken incorrectly for it have increased. I've never heard of losing inches in some places while gaining in others unless you are bodybuilding on a surplus.
  • Klamber26
    Options
    Have you tried wearing a corset under the dress?
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My back expands as I work out because my lats (back muscles) get toned up! I say - have the dress altered! You are rocking the weight loss!
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    My back expands as I work out because my lats (back muscles) get toned up! I say - have the dress altered! You are rocking the weight loss!

Thanks very much.. I am wondering if that is what is happened with me. I went from doing basically only cardio to doing some weights and the 30 day shred (which includes back work).. just didn't think it would actually increase the size. Am hoping there is enough material to have the dress altered - I'm worried about that even!