Options

Replies

• aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    From Webster:
    veg·e·tar·i·an   [vej-i-tair-ee-uhn]
    noun
    a person who does not eat or does not believe in eating meat, fish, fowl, or, in some cases, any food derived from animals, as eggs or cheese, but subsists on vegetables, fruits, nuts, grain, etc.

pes·ca·tar·i·an \ˌpe-skə-ˈter-ē-ən\
    noun
    : one whose diet includes fish but no meat

And, by the way, Quorn products do not contain soy. Please do your research before you respond to a post.
    Same dictionary has:

4. consisting solely of vegetables: (vegetarian vegetable soup.)

The vast majority of my meals ARE VEGETARIAN (vegan), but if you really cannot abide referring to me or people like me as having mostly vegetarian diets, that's fine. However, people have the right to decide how they should talk about their own diets.

And since the OP was asking about how to get enough protein, I was speaking to her, discouraging her from soy-based meat substitutes and encouraging her to try whole-soy products for soy-based protein sources. Don't really care about Quorn, I'm sorry. :)
  • lauramonster
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I'm a vegetarian and I plan on going vegan again soon, but I wasn't the greatest at it the first time around, so I could use some help. Feel free to add me :)
  • lauramonster
    Options
    From Webster:
    noun
    a person who does not eat or does not believe in eating meat, fish, fowl, or, in some cases, any food derived from animals, as eggs or cheese, but subsists on vegetables, fruits, nuts, grain, etc.

noun

And, by the way, Quorn products do not contain soy. Please do your research before you respond to a post.
    Same dictionary has:

The vast majority of my meals ARE VEGETARIAN (vegan), but if you really cannot abide referring to me or people like me as having mostly vegetarian diets, that's fine. However, people have the right to decide how they should talk about their own diets.

And since the OP was asking about how to get enough protein, I was speaking to her, discouraging her from soy-based meat substitutes and encouraging her to try whole-soy products for soy-based protein sources. Don't really care about Quorn, I'm sorry. :)

Pescatarians are considered vegetarians.
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    I'd like to go vegetarian. When I first moved out on my own I couldn't afford/never bought meat and I never really missed it. I can afford meat and stuff now but I think it'd be a great idea to officially go vegetarian. Mind if I add some of you to check out your meals too?
  • BlackmetalCoffee79
    BlackmetalCoffee79 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm also vegetarian. Been so for almost 2 years. Don't know how great my foods look every day, but feel free to add me if you wish. :)
  • kay155
    kay155 Posts: 3
    Options
    hi check out sight- more apples a day . com or on Facebook...protein sources : nuts- beans- quinoi-soy-tofu...good luck kay155...
    i am a flexitarian aiming for vegan choices 1st.
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 15 months and have never felt better! My husband (who is a pescatarian) and I eat a lot of stir fry with rice or rice noodles.

If you are interested in meat substitutes, for extra protein, try the Quorn products. They are delicious!!!! And there are so many varieties!

Only quoting you because you mentioned Quorn, they have egg whites in them...so not good for Vegans. Just in case someone didn't know that :smile:
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian here...limited ovo/lacto...usually more Vegan than anything. I also have issues with going for processed "meat substitue" style foods...mainly because I have 3 kids and very little time. One of my kids is veg also...but, since I cook all of the meals, my family is also mainly veg :wink:
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I'm a strict vegetarian, by which I mean I rarely eat animal products, but try not to obsess over whether the bread in this or that place might have something in it I'd rather not eat. I also eat candy at work sometimes. Work in progress, if you will. :)

Feel free to add me if you'd like! (any of you, for that matter)

And just to weigh in on the conversation, I don't consider pescatarians vegetarians. But I'm not here to proselytize, so I'm ok with people who eat meat, as long as they're not rude to me about how I eat.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I eat vegetarian about 70% of the time. I don't feel any real strong conviction to eliminate meat entirely, but I definitely feel better actively limiting my meat. I generally try to eat meat only at dinner, it at all.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan. I get my protein mostly from setain (make my own), tempeh, quinoa, lentils, and beans. I occasionally indulge in fake meats, but only the ones made by Tofurky as they use whole soy. Since I weight train, I also have one smoothie with protein powder per day. The protein powder I use is a mixture of hemp and pea protein, and I mix it with high-protein organic soy milk.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    From Webster:
    noun

noun

Same dictionary has:

Pescatarians are considered vegetarians.

No they are not:

http://www.vegsoc.org/page.aspx?pid=698. Extract:

The Vegetarian Society defines a vegetarian as: "Someone who lives on a diet of grains, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruits with, or without, the use of dairy products and eggs. A vegetarian does not eat any meat, poultry, game, fish, shellfish* or by-products of slaughter."

There are different types of vegetarian:

•Lacto-ovo-vegetarians eat both dairy products and eggs; this is the most common type of vegetarian diet.

•Lacto-vegetarians eat dairy products but avoid eggs.

•Vegans do not eat dairy products, eggs, or any other products which are derived from animals.

Eggs: Many lacto-ovo vegetarians will only eat free-range eggs. This is because of welfare objections to the intensive farming of hens. Through its Vegetarian Society Approved trade mark, the Vegetarian Society only endorses products containing free-range eggs.

ETA: and see definition in first quote above
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    If you do a search of vegetarian under 'groups' - a list of groups will come up - it would probably be a good idea to join a few - they have some folks really 'up on' nutrition and should be helpful with recipes and diet in general
  • mollydubs
    mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why someone saying they are "mostly vegetarian" is so offensive that you all have to google dueling definitions and act like being a vegetarian is some special club. People can sort of describe their diets however they like and if this person is "mostly vegetarian," she's acknowledging the fact that she is not 100% vegetarian.

But please, google more definitions. It's fun/not-at-all-an-over-reaction.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I'm not sure why someone saying they are "mostly vegetarian" is so offensive that you all have to google dueling definitions and act like being a vegetarian is some special club. People can sort of describe their diets however they like and if this person is "mostly vegetarian," she's acknowledging the fact that she is not 100% vegetarian.

Not sure if that was partly directed at me. I was not objecting the the 'mostly vegetarian" comment (I don't have a problem with it) - just clarifying that a pescetarian is not a vegetarian.

ETA: did you have anything to add to try to help the actual OP?
  • ScreenGem
    ScreenGem Posts: 52 Member
    Options

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE. There is Waaaaaaaaay too much venom being spewed at that nice lady due to a very innocent comment. For a very short time (a few months) I used to be one of "those vegans" who tried to defend the definition and be on a pedestal. Who cares! Let people grow and come to their decisions on their own. I've been veggie for over 12+ years, just started eating the occasional fish 1-2x's/mo. What does that make me now, if 98% of my diet is vegan? Not vegetarian, vegan. Guess what,...I don't care about a label anymore. I'll do me, and I want all of you to do you. Lets go forward being a little more loving toward each other. That's really what the creator intends from humanity and that's what the planet needs more of.
    Thanks!

BTW: pleasure to meet you Sarah...my friend. :tongue:
  • MFPUser39552
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian! All the food I eat is sooo boring, anyone that wants to add me that has a few nice recipes that would be great :) I basically live off eggs and cereal, booooring! So much easier to stick to a diet when there's variety! :)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan, love having vegan friends, add away! :) Just don't take this weekend as any kind of good diary nutrition and macros wise, I've been sick and am not eating normally. :)
  • steinbok
    steinbok Posts: 82
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, and sometimes vegan. Check my food diary. I try to vary it up a bit. Breakfast is a rut, but I really look forward to that mix every morning.

Am trying to completely eliminate any grains in my diet. It's been two days now. Probably will periodically add them.
  • cocoa_cutie513
    cocoa_cutie513 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Come August I will have been a vegetarian for 2 years. I eat an extremely light amount of dairy. Currently more clean eating. I am also embarking on gluten free. I try to avoid faux meats and soy as much as possible.

I received a vegan meal plan from my friend, and vegan figure competitor Claudia Lailhacar. On day 3 of the meal plan and I'm feeling great!