Is this normal?

Options
cydonian
cydonian Posts: 361 Member
I've been using MFP for about 9 months now to track my food, and stopped using it so much once I got the hang of it. I've stuck to a 1,200 calorie diet. In the last 2-3 weeks, I've been working out doing speedwalking/jogging and bike riding 4-5 times per week. I usually burn 150-250 calories per session. I've noticed my stomach getting flatter and my hips look a little leaner, but I have got MAJOR swelling in my fingers and my feet. I couldn't wear my wedding bands today because it literally hurt to wear them. Is this normal? I've seen on other posts that some water retention is normal when you begin working out.

Replies

• Lauren2113
    Lauren2113 Posts: 13
    Options
    Some swelling IS normal after exercise. It could be caused by a number of things. Keep track of your sodium intake. Some people crave salty foods after a workout because their body wants to replace the electrolytes it's lost, but many people tend to over do it and end up with some water retention. Also if you are doing moderate to vigorous exercise with out any cool down period your blood can pool in your limbs. If you slow down and decrease your intensity for 10-15min and allow your heart rate to slow gradually at the end of your workout it should help. Smoking, working out in high temperatures, and high blood pressure can all cause excessive swelling as well. To help reduce the swelling after working out elevate your feet above heat level and gentle message your hands. If it's really bad you can use a mild diuretic like watermelon, eggplant, parsley, a splash of lemon juice, cranberry juice, or my favorite, green tea .If it continues or is very severe make an appointment with your doctor to rule out kidney, heart, liver or thyroid, or vascular diseases.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I did end up rushing into getting ready for the day after my workout today, that could have caused the painful swelling. I drink a lot of water and usually keep my sodium under 1,500mg. I will also try to drink cranberry juice more often again, I was a while ago and I stopped for some reason.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I know that when I walk or run outside, my hands get swollen, but I do not know about whether or not it's normal for them to stay that way when not exercising.