Food = Comfort

Options
2»

Replies

• abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    My kids are occasionally rewarded with food. My biggest one is when we go to the grocery store. If your good while we are in the store you get a candy while we are bye the registers.

At this very second I am at my sons baseball practice. They brought a bunch of candy bars and have told them they get them as rewards for a good practice.

Food truly is something that controls a good portion of our day. I will for sure start being more mindful with my kids.

It's really not something I ever thought about until recently...but yea, I think we have a really weird relationship with food.
  • andrewinsuresal
    Options
    I tend to let my kids just cry it out and get over it...I will reward them with something like that from time to time though..."If you'll keep the living room clean all week we can go get ice cream on Saturday." or something to that effect.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I definitely never had a bad "relationship" with food. I don't quite remember if I was given snacks habitually like that, but I do know that we never really had "snacks" in the house. We hardly ever had chips or candy. To be honest, we probably didn't have much fruit either. We were more of a microwave burrito or pizza family, lol. But I'd say given those facts, and the fact that I really don't have that type of relationship with food it could support your point too, but the opposite effect. That not being comforted with food has led me to not seek comfort from food.

If my relationship with food was bad it was just that I would eat if I was bored or something. I'd go so far to say that it boggles my mind when people eat purely because they're sad, because I don't think that's ever happened to me. I don't get it.

My downfall was that I just started cooking for myself at a young age, was allowed to pack my own lunch, and dinner was always frozen and boxed food. Oh, and lots of soda.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I definitely never had a bad "relationship" with food. I don't quite remember if I was given snacks habitually like that, but I do know that we never really had "snacks" in the house. We hardly ever had chips or candy. To be honest, we probably didn't have much fruit either. We were more of a microwave burrito or pizza family, lol. But I'd say given those facts, and the fact that I really don't have that type of relationship with food it could support your point too, but the opposite effect. That not being comforted with food has led me to not seek comfort from food.

If my relationship with food was bad it was just that I would eat if I was bored or something. I'd go so far to say that it boggles my mind when people eat purely because they're sad, because I don't think that's ever happened to me. I don't get it.

My downfall was that I just started cooking for myself at a young age, was allowed to pack my own lunch, and dinner was always frozen and boxed food. Oh, and lots of soda.

That's a good point, too. I started cooking dinners on and off at a young age because both of my parents worked full time and had hour long commutes with traffic. So there was a lot of mac and cheese, hot dogs, etc because what else is a 14 year old really going to be able to cook? :laugh: I'm just not really getting into trying new recipes and such...but I'm still not much of a cook, so my repertoire is still somewhat limited. There are still days I think of just cooking some hot dogs and mac and cheese because it's so easy, but I try to make myself do something healthier, even if it's just scrambled eggs. Thanks for the thoughtful reply!