Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard

Options
Anyone drink this as a meal replacement?

Favorite flavor or flavors?

I use to drink shakeology but looking into more affordable options, mother of 6 kids 1 income tight budgeting.

( currently no exercise do to major wrist surgery last week)

And shakeology people no I don't need a coach and no I don't need but this shake don't have compared too shakeology .. And no I don't need shakeology is cheaper then McDonald posts... Thank you

Replies

• harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to the cookies and cream cause I like my whey shakes a little sweeter, but the chocolate is good too. If you haven't already, check out Bodybuilding.com. They have as good a price as any on the OM gold standard and they have a bunch of flavors. Been wanting to try the chocolate coconut. If you're not completely sold on the OM gold, you could try the muscle FX Gold FX whey. Not as many flavors but it has a nutrition profile that is extremely close to the OM and it's about 5 bucks cheaper for the same size. I like the taste of it as well. Hope this helps.

BTW, nice back bend...Looks painful! LOL
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I am drinking it as I type this.

Not a meal replacement for me but it could be if you added a bunch of crap =)

And by crap I mean not crap.
  • georgiag111
    georgiag111 Posts: 424
    Options
    I'm partial to the cookies and cream cause I like my whey shakes a little sweeter, but the chocolate is good too. If you haven't already, check out Bodybuilding.com. They have as good a price as any on the OM gold standard and they have a bunch of flavors. Been wanting to try the chocolate coconut. If you're not completely sold on the OM gold, you could try the muscle FX Gold FX whey. Not as many flavors but it has a nutrition profile that is extremely close to the OM and it's about 5 bucks cheaper for the same size. I like the taste of it as well. Hope this helps.

BTW, nice back bend...Looks painful! LOL

Thanks for the info and not painful but... I'm double jointed so that helps lol !
  • georgiag111
    Options
    I am drinking it as I type this.

Not a meal replacement for me but it could be if you added a bunch of crap =)

And by crap I mean not crap.

Thanks was planning adding crap like banana and possibly peanut butter. I figure protein will help a ton with my bad joints and repairs
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I drink it only after a workout unless I am out of time and I need something quick so I also put some oatmeal in it =]
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I know ur not into shakeology, but sounds like u were at some point, Im coming to the end of my 1st bag & have been taking it bc of neck/nerve/joint pain to see if it helps. I think it has, was wondering if u felt like it helped with your joints ?
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I only like the Vanilla Ice Cream flavor but mixed w/ almond milk and PB2 (powdered peanut butter). Now that I tasted Syntha-6 Chocolate or Vanilla I'm hooked b/c it's smoother and taste better although more calories per serving.
  • Alonnea
    Alonnea Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love banana cream. I don't use it as a meal replacement just after a workout but if you added things to it I'm sure it would be plenty filling.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I always get the chocolate because it is less disgusting with water only. (pretty damn good in a smoothie too)

DO NOT get strawberry! I have a HUGE one in my pantry I'm forcing myself to drink everyday until I run out. It's pretty dece in fruit smoothies but if you intend on mixing with water or milk, you've been warned. :(
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I only like the Vanilla Ice Cream flavor but mixed w/ almond milk and PB2 (powdered peanut butter). Now that I tasted Syntha-6 Chocolate or Vanilla I'm hooked b/c it's smoother and taste better although more calories per serving.

God Syntha 6's vanilla ice cream *drool* :D. If only it wasn't 400 calories for two scoops compared to ON's 240!
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Double Chocolate. I love it.

Also love their Cake Batter flavor. THAT is yummy!

I have found ON to be the best to cook with because it mixes so smoothly.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex Strawberry Swirl. 130cals, 30g protein from multiple sources. Better for meal replacement than Gold Standard but still needs some supplements as GS does. Just got this flavor tonight and it is much better than the vanilla. Syntha is good stuff with fiber included, protein also from multiple sources for varying rates of digestion. It's relatively inexpensive and the flavors are the best. Only one I haven't liked much is chocolate mint. They are in the 200cal per scoop range with about 22g protein.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    cookies n cream and coffee flavours. yum yum yum
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I'm a natural chocolate kind of girl, but cookies and cream and cake batter are pretty ridiculicious

Honestly, for meal replacement I would do chocolate, vanilla, and banana flavors so you can just add whatever junk you need to make it a MR. I usually do peanutbutter & banana in the chocolate, berries in the vanilla, and everything and it's mother in the banana. The banana also makes superb breakfast pancakes.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I drink it everyday. Right now I have double chocolate and I add strawberries.
  • jamszy
    jamszy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've tried Double Rich Chocolate and Cookies & Cream. The Double Chocolate was better tasting I thought.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    Double chocolate. I buy it by the 10lb bag.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gemmaldavies
    gemmaldavies Posts: 379
    Options
    Don't go 4 vanilla ON 100%whey. The cookies n cream ain't bad.
    I've moved on to their choc pro complex which is really good & has more benefits n protein.
    Also I use the platinum hydro whey by ON which is great after workouts. The other ones r my breakfast with skimmed milk
    & snacks. Good luck.
  • georgiag111
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! I appreciate it
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I love Optimum Whey, but to be fair I have only tried Optimum and MuscleTech - Muscletech being from a grocery store here and I was not fond of it's mixing ability, flavour and general texture.

As for Optimum, flavours I have tried (or are currently using are) - Chocolate Peanut Butter, Mocha Cappuccino, Strawberry, Banana Cream and that's it. As for flavour wise, my ratings are as follows:

Mocha: 10/10 with Water OR Milk
    Chocolate PB: 8.5/10 for Water OR Milk
    Strawberry: -0.0/10, Disgusting with everything/anything, I ended up only trying one scoop and gaging through it. I sold it locally for less than half price.
    Banana Cream: 9.5/10, Delicious with milk, good with water

I usually use either strictly water, or I throw in some 1% milk, or I go half 1% Milk, and half water, for some flavour and creaminess, but less calories. I *Just* bought a used blender from a local thrift shop @ $5.00, So I never tried blending until last afternoon. It was DELICIOUS and cold and creamy, post-workout. I ended up using 1 1/4 Scoops of PB Flavour, 8oz (1cup) 1% Milk, and 3 icecubes, it no only doubles flavour but volume from the liquid of the ice. I wanna try some PB and a Banana sometime, but I just need to go out and buy such.

I recently found this site about Optimum Whey Smoothie recipes and such:

http://www.optimumsmoothie.com/

You should check it out.