How much is a cup of Water?

Options
If a glass or cup is considered 8 oz. I'm drinking 12-20 cups of water a day (6-10 16 oz. bottles of water/day) depending on how hard my workout is.
Is that right? Or is a "Cup" or "Glass" considered more than that.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Landon

Replies

• jro1
    jro1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I go by 8oz, so your figuring sounds right to me.
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    yes....8oz is correct
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I would watch drinking that much water everyday unless your workout hardcore everyday. You need to be pumping gatorade or something to replenish your electrolite levels. You dont want to end up with Hyponatremia.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    yes 8 oz is correct, a good way to calculate your water per day is divide your weight in half, then add 8 oz for every hour of exercise and 8 oz if you live in a dry or very humid region. Remember that you also get water from any milk you drink, fruits or veggies you eat, decaf beverages etc. True you don't want to end up with hyponatremia but gatorade is really only recommended for a high intensity workout going longer than one hour!
  • casamelsmom
    Options
    Every day you should drink 1/2 your body weight in oz. If you exercise, you should drink more, but as a rule of thumb, 1/2 your body weight is easier than # of glasses.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I would watch drinking that much water everyday unless your workout hardcore everyday. You need to be pumping gatorade or something to replenish your electrolite levels. You dont want to end up with Hyponatremia.

This is virtually impossible to do unless you down an absorbent amount of water in a very short time.

The kidneys are built to handle up to 15 liters of water per day, so that is a lot of water to consume - unless you consume it all in a very short time period.

I drink upwards of almost 200 oz of water some days and I don't work out hard core at all, most days I don't even exercise any more.........

You would be better off eating a banana and have some protein with a little salt than to drink that sugar filled gatorade crap.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Every day you should drink 1/2 your body weight in oz. If you exercise, you should drink more, but as a rule of thumb, 1/2 your body weight is easier than # of glasses.

this is very true as I have been told the same thing by numerous people before.
  • twilight1542
    Options

This is virtually impossible to do unless you down an absorbent amount of water in a very short time.

The kidneys are built to handle up to 15 liters of water per day, so that is a lot of water to consume - unless you consume it all in a very short time period.

I drink upwards of almost 200 oz of water some days and I don't work out hard core at all, most days I don't even exercise any more.........

You would be better off eating a banana and have some protein with a little salt than to drink that sugar filled gatorade crap.

I agree. I drink way more than 64 oz of water a day & am not worried about it because my urine is always at least slightly colored.
  • Landon669
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I appreciate it.
    Landon