Girl with lupus, trying to lose prednisone weight

Options
Hi there. I'm 23 years old and I'm a lupus warrior. Two years ago, I had a flare and was treated with prednisone (standard for flare-ups). The downside of that medication is that it can cause massive weight gain and a condition called "Cushing's syndrome", which I developed, that amplifies the weight gain and and fat storage on the face and upper body. In the span of one year, I gained over 100lbs.

Earlier flares had caused smaller bursts of weight gain, but nothing like the 100lbs burst. Before I was ever given prednisone I was 18 and 105lbs. Before prednisone, I was always made fun of for being too skinny. I have a lot of anger about my situation. The medicine caused my weight gain, it couldn't be helped, and that makes me feel powerless.

But I'm ready to fight back now. I'm ready to be proactive and quit feeling powerless. I've lost 13lbs so far with MyFitnessPal and I want to keep following this path I've started. My goal weight is between 120-150. That is when I felt the best and looked the best.

But for me, this is about my health. I used to dance as a kid; I want to dance again. I know I can get there.

I look forward to moving forward and getting to know some of you. This seems like a great place. =)

Replies

• Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Great progress so far! I've been on pred twice so far in the past year, and know how much it can just suck.
  • kissesdahling
    kissesdahling Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm sorry to hear you had to go on pred too. It's no fun. I hope whatever situation caused you to have to take it is improved too!
  • Bikerjewelz
    Bikerjewelz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Mine was brain surgery, bet I did pred. As well.. 30lbs my first two weeks on it. Tool me 2 years to lose everything I gained. Not easy. Best of luck!
  • AllieCatz
    AllieCatz Posts: 26
    Options
    Same story here, not overweight until prednisone. Since I'll probably never be able to go off of it I need to get control of my weight - I gained 60 pounds in 2 years.

Like you, kissesdahling and Ashley, I have Lupus and feel much better and able to handle my symptoms on prednisone but it's still difficult for me to be very active. Exercise getting my heart rate up is just not possible and the longer I stay inactive the worse it gets. I really need help figuring this out and I'm so happy to have found others going through the same thing!

Allie
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi. Obviously, you already know to ignore EVERYONE who says it's just "calories in, calories out" or "it's just math". You know better. You KNOW it's more complicated than that. Just blow raspberries at the computer when they post their ignorant blather.

That said: there are people who understand your scenario. If there isn't a "group", start one.

I totally get what you're going through. I only had to do it briefly. VERY briefly. But I FELT the loss of control over my body that ensues.

Best of luck!
  • AllieCatz
    AllieCatz Posts: 26
    Options
    I did a search and wasn't able to find any groups so I took your advise and started one. In the short time I've been here I've seen a lot of members dealing with prednisone weight gain and my hope is that we can support each other. Here's the group and I hope you all join.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/5656-prednisone-weight-gain