What is the best HRM gadget to buy???

Options
Calories burned, steps, HR, and anything else that is good to know. I'm looking to buy one but don't have a lot of money and want the best one I can get for my money.

Replies

• txcraftr
    txcraftr Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Is Fitbit any good?
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT7 and I love it!
  • MRJ717
    MRJ717 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

This!^
  • TOYGRRRL
    TOYGRRRL Posts: 251 Member
    Options

This!^

Me too! LOVE mine! Works right out of the box and gives you the info you need.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 305. It comes with HRM strap. I've added the cadence monitor to my bike and the footpod to my shoes.

Counting steps? Meh...usually inaccurate.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Is Fitbit any good?

I love my fitbit :)
  • ldullman
    ldullman Posts: 4
    Options
    Love my fitbit. Use it everyday.
  • HollyTsab
    HollyTsab Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I just got the FT4 and it was SO easy to set up and use. Got it, opened it, programed my info and worked right out. <3!
  • txcraftr
    Options
    Doe Fitbit let you know how many cals you are burning?
  • mlmanney
    mlmanney Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar and I love it. I think as long as it has a chest strap you should be good.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Calories burned, steps, HR, and anything else that is good to know. I'm looking to buy one but don't have a lot of money and want the best one I can get for my money.

Best one for HR related training stuff, ie gadget - Timex digital.
    Terrible calorie estimates. But since that is the one thing you left off, the other stuff is great for the price.
    Lower/upper audible option alarms.
    Time in zone log.
    Set your own maxHR.
    When workout stops, recovery HR stat is done, how far did HR drop in 1 or 2 min, your setting choice.
    Easy review of workout.
    Can see timer and HR at same time.
    Digital, so little/none interference with others at gym, or from electrical noise.

Con - proprietary signal, machines can't pick it up, so must wear the watch to see HR.

Great training features.

HRM's only good for actual workouts really for calorie counts. If not aerobic, they aren't accurate on calorie burn.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Doe Fitbit let you know how many cals you are burning?

Non-exercise daily calories burned yes.
    If exercise is walking mainly flat, yes.
    As you get faster and jog, or other activities - very underestimated, unless you just happen to go very slow in exercise.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    www.dcrainmaker.com
  • txcraftr
    Options
    Thanks everyone for posting. I'm still not sure which one I want but getting close.
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT40...i love it...easy to set, easy to read and easy to work... originally i purchased a New Balance watch...exchanged it for the Polar and so glad that i did.....
    San :)
  • daisyhougan
    daisyhougan Posts: 52
    Options
    If it helps, I love my Fitbit. It tracks calories burns and steps. Most of my time I do walk but I run and play soccer too. I always worry that I'll overestimate my calories using MFP's estimates----my soccer games might last 60 minutes but I'm probably not running the whole time. I guess I'd rather underestimate than overestimate my exercise.