Digestive issues with protein

Options
Helgazon
Helgazon Posts: 23 Member
Hi all, trying to eat 90g protein at least a day since I'm doing weight lifting (New Rules for Women). It helps with hunger for sure, but I'm finding that even though I drink TONS of water and consume 30 g fiber a day, I'm struggling with constipation. Also my mood is better if I eat more carbs (avoiding processed carbs). Has anyone else wrestled with this? If so, does it settle down in time when your body gets used to more protein, or how have you overcome this? I really want to keep up the protein for the weight training etc., I'm convinced it's an effective way to go, but I hate feeling gummed up like this! Thanks for any advice and hope that wasn't TMI.

Replies

• nattielove
    nattielove Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Oat Bran apparently helps!
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    What types of proteins are you eating?
  • amys07115
    amys07115 Posts: 10
    Options
    One thing you might want to take that you can get at your local vitamin shop is a digestive enzyme. This helps to process all that protein!~
  • audreygonzy
    audreygonzy Posts: 169
    Options
    bump! I've always had intestinal issues (just had my first endoscopy:|) and I'm hoping to find what foods help and hinder.
  • riadastfu
    riadastfu Posts: 69
    Options
    It's a side effect of too much protein.

Just up your fiber, even if you have to take fiber supplements.
  • Helgazon
    Options

All kinds-- meat, egg protein powder (avoiding wheat and dairy), eggs, nuts, beans.

And thanks for the digestive enzyme tip, will look into that. Still very keen to hear from anyone who has had this same problem and solved it. I take psyillium in water, and sometimes chia seeds in water too.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Coffee helps me. More fiber and more water.
  • Helgazon
    Options
    It's a side effect of too much protein.

Just up your fiber, even if you have to take fiber supplements.

I do make sure I get 30 g. a day of fiber. Do you take more than that?
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite with protein :( I get crazy mad stomach cramps and the runs ..I've had a barium enema xray which should nothing wrong with me and I have another type xray next week.

It mostly happens when I eat red meat so I rarely eat it anymore and am very careful with all other meat. I'm ok with eggs,protein bars, legumes though
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options

All kinds-- meat, egg protein powder (avoiding wheat and dairy), eggs, nuts, beans.

And thanks for the digestive enzyme tip, will look into that. Still very keen to hear from anyone who has had this same problem and solved it. I take psyillium in water, and sometimes chia seeds in water too.

The type of meat you're eating may be your culprit. Red meat in particular has very complex proteins and can stick around in the body for days or even weeks after you've eaten it. Some people can process it fine but your stomach may just be having issues, I had similar problems until I cut back on pork and beef.
  • Helgazon
    Options

The type of meat you're eating may be your culprit. Red meat in particular has very complex proteins and can stick around in the body for days or even weeks after you've eaten it. Some people can process it fine but your stomach may just be having issues, I had similar problems until I cut back on pork and beef.

Thanks for that tip! I'll try laying off the red meats.
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking lots of water. If you need a gentle stimulant, try a cup of senna based tea, like Celestial Seasonings "Laxatea" or "Super Dieter's Tea" (which is a stupid name for the tea, because the only weight it helps you lose is backed up waste). Usually if I have a cup of Laxatea before bed I will be able to go sometime the next morning... Its very gentle though.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. Especially if you are getting a lot of fiber as well, as that also requires increased water intake.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Water, fiber help. But for digesting protein, I find that emulsifying proteins with egg yolks works effectively for preventing gas and constipation (so long as you get adequate hydration and fiber). Lecithin (in egg yolks) is a common food additive used for overcoming digestive issues.
  • 247momma
    247momma Posts: 14
    Options
    I have suffered from constipation with an increase in protein. I ended up adding colostrum to my long list of other supplements and within a few days it really started to help. I used Symbiotics Colostrum Plus. I suggest starting slowly because too much too soon can cause bad die off. Once I felt like my pipes were clean (sorry to be so graphic) I backed off a little and now things are fairly regular.
  • Helgazon
    Options
    I have suffered from constipation with an increase in protein. I ended up adding colostrum to my long list of other supplements and within a few days it really started to help. I used Symbiotics Colostrum Plus. I suggest starting slowly because too much too soon can cause bad die off. Once I felt like my pipes were clean (sorry to be so graphic) I backed off a little and now things are fairly regular.

Wow, I've never heard of colostrum before as a supplement. How did you come to try this? Thanks for the tip.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 tbsps of Metamucil (psyllium fibre) with 2 glasses of water everyday. It really helps!
  • Wisewoman888
    Wisewoman888 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Have you ever looked into vegetarianism? It might help your moods, your constipation and your inability to process protein. Lots of athletes are either vegetarian or vegan (being vegetarian you can still consume eggs or fish and the protein is lighter on the gut).
    Google vegetarian body builders and athletes. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!
  • JeanineLaymon1970
    JeanineLaymon1970 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had Gastric bypass in Dec 2011, so I have to do 60-80 mg of protein daily. That in addition to my lack of green leafys causes a problem. I take 2 colace one in morning one at night (no laxative) and for bfast I have a yogurt mixed with allbran cereal. It helps things move along! hope it helps!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and have been my entire life. I used to get constipation, stomach aches, sharp lower intestinal pain, cramping anytime I would consume more than 30-40 grams of protein.

Something that has been an absolute god-send for me is "super enzymes" by Now vitamins. There are many brands out there that sell digestive enzymes. These enzymes help break down fats, protein, and carbohydrates so they are more easily digested.

I am now able to consume 110+ grams of protein a day without that problem and I really can't recommend it more.