Toes falling asleep on elliptical

Options
I just got some new training shoes because my old ones made my feet hurt and while these ones are super comfy, they make my toes fall asleep (which is uncomfortable!) when I've been on the elliptical for more than 20 minutes. Any ideas on how to make them stop doing that, 'cause I don't want to buy a new pair of shoes.

Replies

• reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    If I feel like my toes are falling asleep I'll pedal for a few seconds on my toes. That usually gets the blood flowing where it needs to be again. Or I'll lift my feet a little from the foot plates for a few strides until I feel comfortable.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Happens to me also so lift my heels on the down stroke. Its awkward at first but you get used to it
  • purplejoecool
    Options
    I've heard this complaint a lot, and the general consensus is to loosed the laces on your shoes and you should be fine!!!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I was getting this and my teacher said it was cause my shoelaces were too tight. Loosened them and voila!

Also, could be you're not using correct technique you are NOT meant to leave your foot flat on the machine the whole time.
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    loosen the laces?
  • taylmarie
    taylmarie Posts: 161
    Options
    Happens to me also so lift my heels on the down stroke. Its awkward at first but you get used to it

^^^ this. My understanding is that elliptical exercise does not allow much circulation through the foot since they stay planted firm. I got new trainers and tried re-lacing them a bunch of ways until I looked it up. Lifting your feet to simulate normal walking patterns seems to do the trick.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    My mom said that happens to her when she wears Nike's, but not other shoes. It happens often to me.
  • holliph
    holliph Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Have you ever looked at lacing your shoes differently? I run often and had issues as well. Runnersworld has a nice article on alternative ways to lace your shoes. I lace my parallel which helped with my ankles and the tops of my feet hurting all the time. Just a suggestion.
    If that does not help solve the problem I would talk to your doctor especially if it occurs each and every time you are on the machine. You could have a nerve getting pinched by doing that specific movement and the only way to know for sure is either getting a cat scan, or mri. Not cheap tests but having a nerve issue is not something to ignore either.
    I would try changing the way you lace your shoes first and then go from there.
    Holli
  • annie7112
    annie7112 Posts: 2
    Options
    this happens to me and I do even have shoes on. I have found when it starts, to go backwards for a minute and it helps.
  • Melalina
    Melalina Posts: 26
    Options
    I read an article recently that said your toes fall asleep on the elliptical if your foot is too far forward on the pedal. A lot of people plant their feet right up against the front of the pedal. Maybe moving your feet back a few inches in addition to the other suggestions will help ease the numbness.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I read an article recently that said your toes fall asleep on the elliptical if your foot is too far forward on the pedal. A lot of people plant their feet right up against the front of the pedal. Maybe moving your feet back a few inches in addition to the other suggestions will help ease the numbness.

I agree. It happens to me and I think the tendency is for the foot to slide forward as the time on the machine increases. As suggested, try repositioning your foot away from the front of the pedal and be sure to lift your foot periodically in a natural walking motion instead of flat.
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have my feet as far forward as the will go when I'm on the elliptical
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This always happens to me and I thought I was the only one!! I think it might just be my nike shoes and I always have my feet forward on it because im short and I have tried moving my feet back and it feels weird and like my stride and rhythm is out and its annoying. When they start to go numb I curl my toes and the blood seems to come back for a bit and then when I go back to not curling them they go numb again -_-
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Increase the incline (different than the intensity) on the machine a few notches, that will help.
  • jsaunde77
    jsaunde77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Striking more on your toes for a few will usually clear that out. I also echo the laced too tight statement, do you notice pressure on the top of your foot as well? I sometimes get really uncomfortable if I've hulked down the laces a bit too much.
  • tobafa
    tobafa Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Glad to see I'm not alone. I usually stop and shake each foot until it goes away. Hits me about the 12 - 15 minute mark and continues off and on until I'm done. New Balance cross trainers.
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have been having the same problem, and recently tried increasing the stride length on the machine. It seemed to do the trick.