Trouble with stress eating

Options
Hi Everyone! I'm relatively new to My Fitness Pal. For a while I was doing well, being careful with my tracking and exercising. The past week I started a new position and have found myself eating excessively. I'm guessing that it's stress. I want to get back on track with my tracking and exercise. Have any of you struggled with eating excessively when stressed? How have you overcome this particular challenge?

Replies

• Greensherbert
    Greensherbert Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yeah I deal with stress eating all the time. You either have to work out your problems or preoccupy your mind.
  • MashaSK
    MashaSK Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    That's my problem too, especially in office...The only way to get busy and well some sort of meditation...I try to drink more water and count till 20 It does not always work though
  • dawnamorse
    dawnamorse Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't feel alone or frustrated. Stress eating is really common or, as I like to call it, "eating my emotions" (which usually tastes like a chocolate brownie or cupcake ;) )
    Rather than grab a snack, try drinking water :) I keep water with me everywhere I go. This helps with the desire to eat :) Or, if you are going to stress eat, be sure to have healthy snacks that don't pack on calories (cucumber slices, apples (<--which make you feel full), etc.
    Other than that- finding a healthier way to deal with the stress is always good too :) Best of luck!
  • rocketass99
    rocketass99 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have been known to go to my refrigator open the door and say food will fix me. Lol. Not. For me I have to ask myself a couple of things. 1. Are you hungry. If the answer to that is no. Question 2. What are you trying to fix. That's when I'm in a physobabble mood. other wise I just try to distract myself. I tell. You the one thing that has really helped me the most. Looking at this site. Making comments to people that are on my friends list about how good they are doing. Getsb me out of self.

Good luck its a tuffy
  • jmilian825
    jmilian825 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hi there I wanted to let u knw I have and still struggle with stress eating there are a few improvements I have noticed. First don't have junk foods easily around especially when ur starting to feel stress otherwise you will just reach n eat. Second have people u can go to that make u feel accountable that way if u do cave it will curb a bit or they may talk into something healthier. Keep good food that u can munch on that are healthy n can comfort some like granola cereal or yogurt fruits. This are some of the things I'm learning help me when im having a stress eating attack. And I still have times where I fail and all i can do is pick myself up and try again to do better the next day. Ur not alone : )
  • Indy36
    Indy36 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi every body. Thank you everyone for your insights. It was kind of funny. Just posting about what I was feeling helped me get back on track. Even though I know that other people struggle with the same feelings, it doesn't really feel real unless I put my thoughts out there and hear from other people.