Zucchini Bread

Options
kroger7
kroger7 Posts: 124 Member
Tried this last night and it is soooo good. Even my dad, who claimed he ate enough zucchini in his hippie days, tried it and loved it! It's from bettycrocker.com, which I love because they include the nutritional info for all their recipes. Enjoy! :flowerforyou:

=======================================================================
"Healthified" Zucchini Bread

Prep Time: 25 min
Total Time: 2 hours 35 min
Makes: 2 loaves (12 slices each)
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 medium)
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup fat-free egg product or 3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups Gold Medal® whole wheat flour
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottoms only of 2 (8x4-inch) loaf pans with cooking spray.
2. In large bowl, mix zucchini, applesauce, oil, egg product, vanilla and sugar until well blended. Stir in all remaining ingredients except walnuts until well blended. Stir in walnuts. Spoon batter evenly into pans.
3. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 1 hour.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes.aspx/healthified-zucchini-bread

Replies

• vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this recipe! If a person does NOT have whole wheat flour do you use 3 cups of all purpose flour then? Have lots of zucchini and have been making bread with my fave recipe but it is not very low cal. ,it is toooo good and we can't seem to eat it fast enough! Thanks again!
    vhuber
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    I make a lot of zucchini bread and I love this recipe because it uses whole wheat flour and apple sauce. Thanks for sharing
  • kroger7
    Options
    If a person does NOT have whole wheat flour do you use 3 cups of all purpose flour then?

Yes, I didn't have whole wheat either so I used 3 cups all purpose and it turned out great! I think the whole wheat would add a nice texture though, but it's hard to find around here :laugh:
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    If a person does NOT have whole wheat flour do you use 3 cups of all purpose flour then?

Yes, I didn't have whole wheat either so I used 3 cups all purpose and it turned out great! I think the whole wheat would add a nice texture though, but it's hard to find around here :laugh:

The whole wheat flour is what increases the fiber and makes it more healthy. :flowerforyou:
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I will save this and print it out to add to my recipe collection. :)
  • everyday
    Options
    Looks close to a banana bread recipe I use from Runner's World, it calls for regular white flour, but I use w/w flour YUMMY!

Thank you for sharing :smile:
  • msmeghan
    Options
    I am going to try it. I love zucchini bread and I have so much from my garden right now. When I make it, I add a tsp of ground cloves, gives it a really great flavor!
  • mbmomof4
    mbmomof4 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Sounds delish!!! Thanks for the recipe!!! :heart:
  • sabbles
    Options
    bump
  • kroger7
    Options
    Hey guys, I made this again today, but I'm at my place at school now and only had 1 loaf pan....so I divided the rest of the mixture into muffin cups! They didn't take as long to bake, about 30 min, and I left one cup empty so there are 11 servings, just like the bread. Just another way of doing it! :drinker:
  • LindaMee
    Options
    mmm...sounds great!