Butternut Squash Gnocchi...mmmm

Options
rachi20024
rachi20024 Posts: 229 Member
Hello all I came across this recipe for Gnocchi which required a acorn squash but I used a Butternut squash it was very yummy:

1 squash halved and seeded
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 c white flour

1) Use knife to preforate squash cook in microwave for 10 minutes or you could roast in oven.. I recommend that you put 2 tsp of water in where you deseeded the squash it keeps moist. Scrape flesh into bowl,stir in garlic,salt,egg and whole wheat flour. Add white flour gradually until you get sticky dough with manageable texture. Turn dough onto a floured suface and roll into ropes. Slice dough into quarter sized gnocchi.

2) Bring water to a boil in large pot add gnocchi to water 1 at a time until they are all floating on top.

Makes 8, 1/2 cup serving

Recommendation that if you don't like the taste of wheat flour use all white. Enjoy:drinker:

Cal 138.6
Fat 1.1

Replies

• selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! I love butternut squash.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I"m bumping this, cuz I have about 17 HUGE butternut squashes from my garden! Sounds yummy!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I love it when people post recipes that I have all the ingredients for :wink:
    My mother has a special way of cooking gnocchi, this would be perfect! They use olive oil and pine nuts I believe? There might be some other things too.

Totally trying this!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I am going to try this and be naughty and have them with a sage brown butter sauce. YUM!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe!
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    YUMMMM!!!! Bump
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Made this tonight! Very, very good. Only things you're gonna want to consider when making it...

1) if you half/seed the squash before you microwave/bake, make sure you cover it with a moist paper towel so it doesn't dry up.
    2) You don't need to get that crazy big of a squash. I got the largest I could find, and it threw off the water content.
    3) Its was pretty sticky dough, and it didn't seem to get much less sticky - even with an extra cup or so of white flour added. I basically put a ton of flour down when I rolled it out so it didn't stick to my table. I considered it managable when I could pick up the ball of dough without 50% or more sticking to the bowl, and when I could pull my hand off of the dough without the ball splitting in half, lol. It was very sticky!

Totally worth it though, so so good!
  • nicolet04
    Options
    :drinker:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Made this tonight! Very, very good. Only things you're gonna want to consider when making it...

1) if you half/seed the squash before you microwave/bake, make sure you cover it with a moist paper towel so it doesn't dry up.
    2) You don't need to get that crazy big of a squash. I got the largest I could find, and it threw off the water content.
    3) Its was pretty sticky dough, and it didn't seem to get much less sticky - even with an extra cup or so of white flour added. I basically put a ton of flour down when I rolled it out so it didn't stick to my table. I considered it managable when I could pick up the ball of dough without 50% or more sticking to the bowl, and when I could pull my hand off of the dough without the ball splitting in half, lol. It was very sticky!

Totally worth it though, so so good!

Thanks for the tips, I haven't had time to try it yet but hopefully next weekend.
  • sabbles
    Options
    bump
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    Yum! I love gnocchi and squash, so I'm betting I will really love gnocchi made with squash! This is definitely going on my list of meals for next week. Thank you!
  • mel_istheshit
    Options
    Just marking this so I remember to make it! :smile:
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy. :happy:
  • sabbles
    sabbles Posts: 37
    Options
    i made this last night. very good! thank you so much for posting!! i can't wait to make it again.

some tips:

i bought an average sized butternut squash and it took about 15 minutes in the microwave. after cooking, we only used about 3/4 of the squash. even with only 3/4 of the squash, i needed at least an extra cup of white flour. next time i will definitely up the whole wheat flour by at least 1/2 a cup, and then use 1/2 or 1 extra cup of white flour.

i would suggest crushing the garlic or cooking the minced bits before adding to the dough. if you don't like garlic, you may only want to use one clove.

also, this recipe makes a TON of gnocchi! plan accordingly :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    tagging for later. I am trying another recipe for crock pot stuffed peppers today....I bought some basil and pine nuts, I am thinking a bit of pesto may be in order for these yummy gnocchi...:love:
  • jblow
    jblow Posts: 7
    Options
    thanks
  • quinnybear
    Options
    tag for later
  • hbarber85
    hbarber85 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Sounds tasty! Will try this week! =]
  • godblessourhome