MFP doesn't seem to be working

Options
Hello. I joined MFP 9 days and have been just under or at my calorie goals everyday since. My starting weight was 64.2kg. I don't seem to have made any progress.
I am definitely not eating more and I am eating so much more healthily. I am doing situps every other day for 5mins.My weight over the last 5 mornings have been 63.5kg, 64.6kg, 63.7, 63.4 kg and this morning I weigh 64.2kg.
Anyone with similar experience? Does this calorie counting work?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It does - have a look through the "success" section under topics, and see how brilliantly many people have done.

9 days is a really short time - your body will take a few weeks to adjust to a new regime.

Sit-ups are fine, but I'd try getting a bit more cardio in - a good walk, run or bike ride.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    MFP takes more than a week to work. You may also be retaining water.
    Trust me, if you follow through with it and don't have some sort of thyroid condition, it will work. My ticker is evidence of that.
  • Akijade
    Akijade Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You've gotta be patient. Keep counting the calories, drink more water, and let yourself rest occasionally. It will work, even if it doesn't seem like it right now.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    MFP is just a tool - you are the one who has to make it work.
    Having said that, weighing daily is really not helpful at all - try weighing in just once a week and track your results over 4-6 weeks. If you are accurately logging your food and exercise and sticking to your goals (not too far under or over) you are most likely to see results in that time frame. I know we all want instant results but losing weight just doesn't happen that way - I think of it as being like growing your hair - no matter how much you want it, you can't make it happen overnight.
  • HeHealsMe
    HeHealsMe Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hello, Welcome to MFP,
    My name is Nicolette.
    I started at the first of the year, although my profile only show's a couple of weeks..

First, try not to weigh everyday. I mean, you can, but only go with the weight one day a week..like every Friday. Your body weight fluctuates daily largely by the water it retains. So, if you eat something salty today, drink a lot of soda or water, it RETAINS the fluids..you don't expel (pee) them out, so the next morning, you will be bloated and weigh more. And the reverse also. It is normal to fluctuate in weight 1-3 pounds in a 3 day period, just from water retention.

Also..give it some time!! Golly!! You cannot expect your body to drop 10 pounds in 10 days , when it probably took 2 month's to put the weight ON.
    Much more I could expand on, but bed time for me. Friend me if you would like, I am no expert, like some of these lovely ladies, and gorgeous men, but can support you, as long as you are patient and try.

God Bless
    Nic
  • cgsr
    cgsr Posts: 113
    Options
    It does - have a look through the "success" section under topics, and see how brilliantly many people have done.

9 days is a really short time - your body will take a few weeks to adjust to a new regime.

Sit-ups are fine, but I'd try getting a bit more cardio in - a good walk, run or bike ride.

Great advice, take it!
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    MFP is working. *Someone* is not.
  • babbgirl1975
    babbgirl1975 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

Great advice, take it!

^^^THIS^^^
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    9 days with sit-up every other day {5 days of strength exercise} 36 years getting to where you decided it was time to make a healthier lifestyle choice. Yhea this works but not over night and you will not hit your “goal weight” within a few weeks, unless that goal weight is minimal. Just like any other “diet” and I quote diet because what you are doing here is not a diet but a lifestyle decision. You will need to do some tweaking here and there to find the right combination of caloric intake for you, this is not a one size fits all world. Yes you are burning calories from strength exercise but getting the heart rate up is important. You do not need a gym or expensive equipment and it does not have to be a drag. Take a walk, dance; do an exercise video from the internet or TV; there are DVD’s and gaming systems that are dedicated to healthier living. And find friends on here that will support and advise you as you support and advise them. You are going to stumble a few times before you run down the road, either you toss the towel down and quit or you pick it up wipe the sweat off your forehead and charge on.
  • aamc04321
    aamc04321 Posts: 11
    Options
    I agree 9 days is not enough time. Stick with your calorie goal and remember slow and steady wins the race. Also I'd like to point out that sit-ups are mainly a strength training exercise. That is not going to get you the type of progress you want. Cardio is the key in addition to strength training. Try brisk walking, running, jump rope, elliptical, hiking, anything to get that heart rate up, start at 20 min if you can, 3 days/wk, and add on 5 min each week. But keep it up, stay focused & good job on sticking with it for 9 days, but its got to be a life style change or your results can be discouraging or temporary.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    MFP is working. *Someone* is not.

Well that's a bit harsh. 9 days is too soon to see if it is 'working'. I can tell you beyond doubt that if you are eating a caloric defecit you will lose weight. There are hundreds of people here who will attest to that. Just remember that this is not a 'diet' or a quick fix solution... you will be eating this way (more or less) for ever.

So give it a bit of time, you might find that the weightloss doesnt happen for a while, then one day it'll just start to fall off :)
  • jacqui1612
    jacqui1612 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You need to wait more that 9 days before you can say its not working. Plus at only 64 kgs your really not very heavy so it will take longer to loose weight. Just be careful not to eat too little as it can cause your body to go into 'starvation mode' and you won't loose anything. Good luck on your journey :)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    You didn't put on weight after 9 days so why do you expect to lose it like that?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hello. I joined MFP 9 days and have been just under or at my calorie goals everyday since. My starting weight was 64.2kg. I don't seem to have made any progress.
    I am definitely not eating more and I am eating so much more healthily. I am doing situps every other day for 5mins.My weight over the last 5 mornings have been 63.5kg, 64.6kg, 63.7, 63.4 kg and this morning I weigh 64.2kg.

Any chance you could open up your food diary?
  • daisyhougan
    daisyhougan Posts: 52
    Options
    It'll work but maybe not immediately. If your calorie intake is less than your calorie output, the weight will come off eventually. As to weighing yourself daily, I do too....but I have to keep in mind that there can besome variations from day to day. Also, one thing that was a huge change for me was the amount of exercise I started doing (mostly because I wanted to eat more!). Maybe walking would help?
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    maybe you have you activaty level set higher then it really is therefor it is giving you to many daily calories.
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It does work - just check that you are accurately weighing your food and I would consider. Increasing your exercise a bit as 5 minutes every other day is not going to burn many calories. I have lost 93 lbs by counting calories and doing at least an hour a day of good exercise
  • Cheeey1
    Cheeey1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Loads of good advice..many thanks. I have taken them on board and went jogging yesterday evening and it was great, so freeing....So I decided to go again early this morning while there are no cars, hardly any people about...just me and nature...cue endorphins...yeah, it was so uplifting, absolutely beautiful. Hope I can keep this up.
    I guess i gotta stop worrying and get on with it.
    Anyone here jogging?
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

9 days is not long enough to tell anything. You don't have that much to lose so I will recommend the following

1) Take measurements, get body fat % measured
    2) Incorporate lifting weights into your routine (2-3 times a week is ideal)
    3) Make sure your calories are set to a small deficit
    4) Do this for one month and then take your measurements again.

STAY AWAY FROM THE SCALES.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    As others said, give it longer than nine days.

The other issue could be that you are UNDER your calorie goal every day. You've been given that number for a reason. Eat as close as possible to it.

What's your height?