same weight for 3 days?

Options
OTchic
OTchic Posts: 205 Member
hi guys i know i am obsessing over this so i thought instead of freakin out there is a good reason for my weight to stay the same. i don't want to jump into conclusions that i am doing something wrong and i plateud or stalled. i eat 1200-1400 cals drink water eat veggies you know the whole bit!

the way i think of it is 3500 cals is a pound well in 3 days i haven't burned 3500cals so thats the reason? i weigh myself daily and i can't help myself!

anyone who has had the same weight for a couple days & can comment on this i would appreciate it!

i have been working out since Feb and haven't seen this happen ever!

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Because you may have seen a fluctuation that just happens to equal the same amount?

Because weight loss is not linear?

Because weighing yourself everyday can show these sorts of things?

Just cause?

I can see the same weight for 5 days in a row and then lose 2 lbs the next day.
  • OTchic
    OTchic Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Like I said I've been doing this since feb n never seen this happened so I figured I stalled. Makes me feel happy that I could see a weight loss in a couple of days too. More than that I am glad it is normal :)
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay the same or even go up a pound for three weeks or so. Then, suddenly, I'll lose 5-6 pounds. Stick to your guns, it'll come off again.
  • Ventnorman
    Ventnorman Posts: 45
    Options
    Well the only thing I can say is don't weigh your self every day ! Just pick one day and time a week for your weigh in and stick to it . Good luck .
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    The scale can drive one crazy. You could be retaining water due to normal hormone changes, or from higher sodium intake, and that would be reflected in your weight. I once had a 3 pound change from one day to the next. No way I ate 9500 excess calories in a day. Don't pay too much attention to the scale. If you have to, weigh yourself weekly, or even monthly.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. To not have stayed the same for a few days since February is probably more unusual than the fact you have stayed the same now. I've weighed every day since January, and most weeks there is a period of a few days where I stay the same. Then, a couple of pounds might come off. Some days it goes up too, even though I've not done anything different. It's just the way our bodies work – weight fluctuates constantly due to different amounts of food in your body, hydration, digestive processes etc. Imagine the fluctuations you'd see if you were weighing yourself in ounces!
  • chunk1691
    chunk1691 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    ive stayed the same for about 6 weeks but ive stopped worrying because i can see my shape changing and im losing inches.
  • islaybower
    islaybower Posts: 57
    Options
    Three days? I've only just changed weight after being the same weight for SIX WEEKS. As others have said, it's much more unusual to have changed every day than to have stayed the same for 3 days.

Give it a couple of weeks, and if there's still no change maybe think about mixing up your exercise or calories a little, but it sounds like what you've been doing has worked really well so far, so don't rush to change it.
  • 41degsouth
    41degsouth Posts: 40
    Options
    Your body has to use 3g of water to store every gram of glucosol. Therefore, energy stored as glucosol weighs more than the same amount of energy stored as fat. As I understand it, your body stores carbs and protein as glucosol if they are not burned immediately, and stores fat as fat...

When you first start creating a moderate calorie deficit, it is common to see a rapid weight loss over the first week or two, which is burning off those glucosol stores... people call this losing "water weight" because 3/4 of the actual weight loss is the water no longer needed because the glucosol it was being used to store has been burned.

As you go ahead, you then start burning more fat. But what happens on any day is going to depend on the order you do things. If you have a low glucosol store balance, and eat a low percentage of your day's calories during the day while being active, you body will burn fat stores. Then, later in the day you consume the remainder of your day's calories, including a good portion of carbs. Your body has already fueled itself while you were doing the earlier activity, so this energy is stored away, including by replenishing those glucosol stores. You've successfully reduced your body fat percentage that day, but due to the weight in the water with the glucosol stores the next day you may have put on as much as a pound or two. You've made progress, but the scales won't show it at that point. Of course, that pound or two will burn off just as easy as the initial glycosol stores, but in the interim your weight change is confusing.

I weigh myself every day, which I personally think is better than less frequent weigh-ins that could fall on a high or a low day. The key if you're regularly weighing yourself like this is to be aware that a week or more of little change on the scales is not something to be worried about if you're continuing to track calories in vs. burned. When I look back at the same day of the week one or two weeks earlier, I nearly always find that the net change across this period is *exactly* as predicted, despite the variable pattern in between. So don't fret... just keep with the program! :)
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Think you meant to say "glucose" - glucosol is something very different :smile:
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I plateau for around 9 days every 2 or 3 weeks, then it comes off quicker than I expect... Been at it for 6 months and it's been like that the whole time. Stick with it and it will come off!

Stay strong!
  • SewingLynx
    SewingLynx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Are you a lot overweight or just needing to lose a little bit of extra? Sometimes with being a lot overweight your body will plateau and that does stall. Remember, it diet-land, 3 days really is nothing. Just keep going. But if you're working on losing that last bit of extra, it's likely that your body is just adjusting or gaining muscle. I wouldn't worry about it too too much either way. Especially if you're not overeating and you're not missing workouts. Chances are it's just a hormonal thing or a water weight thing. I think you'll be fine.

I actually refuse to own a home scale because of obsessive weighing. :o)
  • kobashi
    kobashi Posts: 164
    Options
    Are you a lot overweight or just needing to lose a little bit of extra? Sometimes with being a lot overweight your body will plateau and that does stall. Remember, it diet-land, 3 days really is nothing. Just keep going. But if you're working on losing that last bit of extra, it's likely that your body is just adjusting or gaining muscle. I wouldn't worry about it too too much either way. Especially if you're not overeating and you're not missing workouts. Chances are it's just a hormonal thing or a water weight thing. I think you'll be fine.

I actually refuse to own a home scale because of obsessive weighing. :o)

I don't obsess as much as I miss the instant gratification. At one point, I was losing .6 lbs a day, now it stays the same for a few days and then goes down after 5-6 days. I still use the scale every morning, but not as a guide just for my own knowledge. I don't let it get me down.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm on maintenance now, but when I was losing, it was pretty standard for me to go a week or two with no change or even slightly up, then suddenly there would be a significant drop. This was the way it went for me the whole time. Same for my mother and sister. I was in no rush, though. I wanted to lose slowly and in a sustainable way. I wasn't doing any crash diets where I would be expecting weight to be falling off dramatically and constantly. I did notice that the closer you get to goal, the slower you lose weight. Hope you keep your expectations realistic. Just be patient and hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • seraphinaglitter
    seraphinaglitter Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I find the same thing as Jennw29 :-)

Don't worry, keep persevering. I make sure only to log my weight officially here every 1-2 weeks, but measurements more often, that way I get a better record of progress, and not one that demotivates me.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, can't help myself! I know my weight will go up / down / the same, but overall the trend is down. I have stayed the same weight or gone up for a week or so, then suddenly it starts dropping again, especially if I up my exercise.
  • deepfuture
    deepfuture Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Really interesting to read everyones comments , i've had all the same issues , no weigth loss for ages them 2lb in 2 days etc .. good to know.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    If you have been working out since Feb.... That may be your issue! Over-exerrcise. Take a day off. I was forced to rest due to a torn tendon in my ankle. I bumped my calories up a bit and completely rested. I lost 2 pounds in 3 days. My body obviously needed a break.

Some other advice...

Don't look at the scale everyday! If you ate too much sodium, etc. you maybe holding onto water weight. I do weigh everyday but I use it to figure out how my body reacts to food. Too many carbs, sodium, etc. it has helped me tweak my diet but I don't obcess. Heck, I am up 1/2 today but I had spagetti and garlic bread for dinner.

Make sure that you are eating enough as well. Calculate you BMR and TDEE. Don't eat below BMR. Www.fat2fitradio.com is a good place to start.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself all the time. People give too much credit to the scales.

Here is a good article to read: http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-strategies/help-why-does-my-workout-cause-weight-gain
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Why you should ignore the scales

Deb155lbs-300x286.jpg