Need advice about mexican food!

Options
Hey guys! I am going out with my mother and grandmother to a Mexican restaurant tonight for Mother's Day. I love Mexican food but I do not want it to totally ruin my calories for today. The restaurant does not list their nutrition online but I have the menu descriptions. Here is what I am thinking of getting:

Burritos Vegetarianos: Filled with cooked vegetables, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, zucchini, black beans and cilantro. Topped with nacho cheese, lettuce, sourcream and pico de gallo.

Obviously I would ask for no cheese or sour cream on mine. lol But I also have the option of getting one or two of these. Then I could also get a side order of grilled chicken but they do not describe how they grill it (ie. with a sauce or anything)

So I am thinking either two veggie burritos or one burrito with a side order of grilled chicken. What do you think? What else could I do instead that would be low calories?

Their menu is at http://www.lacocinanc.com/962079.html if anyone wants to actually look it over for me and help me pick! That would be awesome!!

Replies

• glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I would go for chicken fajitas: basically chicken and peppers and onions grilled. You can opt not to have the flour tortillas that are usually served on the side anyway, or just limit yourself to 1 tortilla and more chicken/veg, and skip the sour cream.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    You can get an idea by entering the descriptions in the food finder...just hit add food under dinner, enter the descriptions in the search window and find something similar/identical to what you are planning to eat. You'll know in advance pretty closely how much you're looking at. Word of advice, stay away from the chips and salsa...limit yourself to about 10 chips (150 cals.).
  • only_5mom
    only_5mom Posts: 28
    Options
    Tortillas are usually really high in calories, carbs and fat. I usually get the chicken or veggie fajitas and pass on the tortillas or only eat one. The wide variety of salads on their menu looks really appealing. Chips are a killer! They will sabotage your calorie count and they are addictive. For me is better not to even eat one, because it leads to a basket full.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I think chicken fajita or those seafood options are much safer than burrito although you have to watch your portions since we don't know the exact ingredients & the quantity that they put into it.

By the way I love those camarones dishes, mmmmm..:tongue:
  • Nikkilynn32710
    Nikkilynn32710 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I would go for chicken fajitas: basically chicken and peppers and onions grilled. You can opt not to have the flour tortillas that are usually served on the side anyway, or just limit yourself to 1 tortilla and more chicken/veg, and skip the sour cream.

This and if I'm not mistaken corn shells are less in calories and most mexican restaurants serve them ...at least where i live they do.
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I agree on the chicken fajitas, unless you're vegetarian? Wasn't sure if that's why you were opting for the burrito. Our local joint doesn't list nutrition info either. I normally just use an entry in the database for Chili's Chicken Fajita's w/o sides or tortillas. So I just eat the peppers, onions and grilled chicken and skip out on the beans, rice, cheese, sour cream and guacamole. Leaves it lower in the fat/cals/carbs, but still is crazy high in sodium. Just chug some extra water to try and balance that out for the day!

edit: So I'm an idiot, of course if you're thinking of a side of chicken, you're not vegetarian. oops!
  • jsaunde77
    jsaunde77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Fish or shrimp if you can, I usually use the taco bell crunchy taco (170 cal) as a size barometer.

7 Tostidos chips are 140. Salsa is CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP though.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    There is always the "get what you want but only eat half" option. And yeah, stay away from the chips. ;)
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    mexican has a lot of great options and anything cooked on a grill (grilled fajitas, e.g.) will have less oil. seafood is always a good low cal option if you eat meat (better than chicken). i have 3 general rules for mexican restaurants: (1) somehow keep my hands out of the tortilla chip basket before the meal comes (i rarely succeed at this!), (2) skip the margarita - it's sugar water. 2-3 giant beers are better than a single margarita, (3) skip the rice. it's just filler, but it comes with everything! if it's on my plate, i eat it, so i opt for a meal without rice.

my boyfriend and i usually share a pork carnitas dish - not the healthiest meat, but delicious and i skip the tortilla (or just have one) and skip the rice and beans, opting for the delicious pico and guac instead. i can't skip sour cream, it's my fave and i usually have a couple dos xx, but in the end it's way better than many restaurant dinners you could have and you will even get some veggies in!
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I know it's boring but if I were really trying to not blow my diet--I'd get a salad (no cheese or guac, dressing on the side and use as little as possible--half or less of what they give you). Try to get a vinaigrette instead of something cream-based. Paco's salad is probably fine without the cheese--it says grilled chicken and shrimp. But we don't know how they're going to grill it--it'll have more calories than it would if you grilled, but it's still probably not too bad. I don't use salad dressing unless it's diet so if they don't have any good options here I might get a side of salsa and 3-4 sliced avocado (if they have 'em) and throw that on top, but I'm from the SW so I like chiles on everything.

The second best choice is probably chicken fajitas--I would ask for corn tortillas and forgo the cheese, sour cream, guac, etc, as well as the beans and rice. I'd make small chicken tacos and top with salsa. The beans probably have lard or some other pork fat included and the rice is made with lots of oil so neither of these are 'safe.'

Or...here's an idea--be very strict about your diet all day long--I'm not sayin' don't eat, but eat things that are very lean and save up your calories for tonight :smile:
  • catpow2
    Options
    I meant 3-4 slices of avocado--not a whole avocado.
  • catpow2
    Options
    Yeah, and STAY AWAY from the chips and the booze. Have a beer instead of a margarita. Small margaritas have like 400-500 calories--yikes!! Ok, that's it. Have a good time!!
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I saw this listed in the MFP database:

"Chipotle Vegetarian Burrito - Flour Tortilla, Black Beans, Fajita Veggies, Tomato Salsa, Corn Salsa, Guacamole - 680 Calories"

That sounds similar to what you are thinking of so that gives you an idea. If you are thinking of getting the chicken on the side for protein I wouldn't worry about it. The above has 21 grams of protein.

My normal order at a Mexican restaurant is chicken tacos. A traditional taco (the kind with two 4" corn tortillas) is about 240 calories. Two tacos and some chips is a reasonable dinner.

Last night I ate at a Mexican restaurant and did something a little different. I got a chicken breast in salsa verde sauce with beans and rice which I estimated at about 750 calories total. It was great!
  • ajelove
    ajelove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It is always so hard when you go out. I always just order what ever I want (not fried) and then put enough to cover an appetizer plate for my dinner (example one tortilla with 2 strips chicken and a spoon full of beans and rice) and the rest I get a box. I also usually count out 10 chips and dip lightly. And for drinks...see if they have "skinny" cocktails or light beer.
  • BlackLabLover
    BlackLabLover Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The Grilled Chicken salad looks like the way to go if you aren't careful what you eat throughout the day. Chicken is tricky - even the grilled chicken could be loaded with sodium. Also - you *could* do extra cardio today... 1 mile = ~100 caloires
  • rmarie1017
    rmarie1017 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I asked this just a couple of days ago. We took my mother-in-law to a Mexican restaurant for Mother's Day. There were a few good options suggested to me, such as chicken fajitas and chicken tortilla soup. I ended up getting the fajitas and ate them with salsa and about a Tbsp of guacamole without the tortillas. The chicken and veggies were grilled, so it did not ruin my calories for the day :smile:

Also, I have heard to stay away from the refried beans as a side because a lot of restaurants add lard to boost their flavor. If beans are a must, ask for black beans instead of refried.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Best bet: grilled chicken or chicken fajitas. avoid refried beans, if you must get beans ask if they have beans a la charra. Tortillas are high in calories. Ask for corn tortillas over flour. Remember that you can't make enchiladas without dipping the tortilla in hot fat.
    Other possibilities: Calodo de Res (beef vegetable soup) or Pozole (a stew with hominy) if they are on the menu. In a pinch you could look and see if they have a breakfast menu all day--migas a la mexicans (scrambled eggs with chills, tortilla chips, tomatoes and onions) come in @ 400-450 calories if you don't eat the beans and rice they come with.
  • Dozrzz
    Dozrzz Posts: 245
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses guys! Now I am thinking the chicken fajitas....The only reason I was originaly leaning towards the veggie burritos was because I thought being "veggie" they would have fewer calories but I don't think I realized how many calories were in the tortillas.

So maybe chicken fajitas with corn tortillas?
  • Dozrzz
    Dozrzz Posts: 245
    Options
    They do have a side order of grilled mushrooms....I do LOVE mushrooms. I wonder if I could get those instead of rice and beans???? What do you think?
  • erogers85
    erogers85 Posts: 32
    Options
    I guess they may add pork fat or something to the beans, but if the beans are vegetarian they are probably a good healthy side. I don't eat meat so I eat a lot of beans- they have carbs but are also an excellent source of fiber and protein and very low in fat.