Cardio question

Options
I'm a little confused. I've seen people say that cardio is the way to lose fat and then I've seen people say that it can slow your metabolism. Can anyone explain this to me? I get that any exercise is better than none for general health and fitness but at this stage I have less lbs to lose and would like to tighten up my body, be less wobbly basically.

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    It isn't going to slow your metabolism.

Cardio is fine just don't overdo it.

But from experience, and studies, weight training is the best way to lose fat and improve your body composition and health.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options

Cardio is fine just don't overdo it.

But from experience, and studies, weight training is the best way to lose fat and improve your body composition and health.

QFT

Great screen name btw. Deads are awesome.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

But it also isn't going to make you lose fat.

Losing weight is about maintaining a moderate caloric deficit (i.e. diet). Losing fat is about combining that moderate deficit with high protein intake and heavy lifting. The high protein + heavy lifting will help you retain the muscle you have while the caloric deficit will help you lose weight. Losing weight + retaining muscle = losing fat.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Losing weight is about maintaining a moderate caloric deficit (i.e. diet). Losing fat is about combining that moderate deficit with high protein intake and heavy lifting. The high protein + heavy lifting will help you retain the muscle you have while the caloric deficit will help you lose weight. Losing weight + retaining muscle = losing fat.

bingo
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I've honestly never heard that cardio slows your metabolism. And I read a LOT of fitness/training articles.
    For me what's been working is- cardio Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday (either run 3 miles, zumba, or both) and do strength training Monday, Wednesday, Friday (and sometimes still run the 3 miles, depending on how busy I am that day). I started out going just cardio, but then once I added the strength training, I REALLY saw improvements, not only when it came to the scale, but in my body too.
    I hit my 20 lb. loss mark this morning, actually, and I don't think I would've gotten there this quickly without strength training. There were a couple weeks when the scale didn't move, but the inches were still coming off when I measured. I credit that to gaining muscle. People are always afraid that strength training will make them "bulk up" or make them huge. Not the case. For me, I now have awesome toned arms and legs, and my shoulders are pretty great looking too (if I say so myself =] ). I'm totally satisfied with the program I've made for myself.
    Cardio is great for you, but you need to combine it with strength training for an over all fit. Think of it this way, have you ever seen a cross country/marathon runner who looked like they could pick up a 20 lb. weight, let alone actually work out with it? =)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to "tighten up" then you need to focus on weight training, with cardio as a second.

The gist of cardio only slowing down your metabolism is that when you eat at a calorie deficit you run the risk of losing lean muscle as well as fat. If you lose lean muscle, your metabolism slows down. If you add weight training into your program you can protect your LBM and your metabolism.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't know who told you that cardio (aerobics) will slow your metabolism, but the opposite is true. Both aerobic exercise and strength training will burn fat and improve your metabolism. ALL exercise is good when done and fueled properly.
  • FattieBeGone
    FattieBeGone Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'll have to start adding in stregth training then! I'll try to up my protein too but I'm a vegetarian and so the obvious sources of protein aren't an option for me, and God knows I eat enough eggs but I'm sure I can add in more protein.

Thanks.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If all you do is cardio while in a deficit you will lose muscle and your metabolism will slow as a result. Strength training and a high protein intake helps to preserve your muscle mass so most/all of the weight you lose is fat. Fat weight is not a significant contributor to metabolism, muscle weight is, your BMR will decline as your muscle mass does (and will increase as your muscle mass does).
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    There have been a few threads around here about running and its effect on weight/fat loss. Basically the idea they pointed out was that people that do more cardio have some sort of hormone response that makes them burn less calories doing the same activities. I think it was thyroid hormones, but not quite sure.
  • RecklessRascal
    Options
    I started at 210lbs, went down to 145, and now I am sitting at 165.
    Cardio is a wonderful way, and in no way slows down metabolism.
    If you go with HIGH INTENSITY INTERVAL TRAINING cardio, it jacks up your metabolism for up to 48 hours, but usually 24.

Weight training would also benefit you.
    Start with moderate weight, high reps. about 15-20reps or more.
    The higher you keep your heart rate and the longer means high intensity which means more calories burnt.
    But you should ABSOLUTELY do High Intensity Interval Training every other day 3 times a week.

If you have ANY questions, feel free to message me.
    I could give you facts, instructions, and diet help.
    I've gone from out of shape to fitness freak.
  • RecklessRascal
    Options
    There have been a few threads around here about running and its effect on weight/fat loss. Basically the idea they pointed out was that people that do more cardio have some sort of hormone response that makes them burn less calories doing the same activities. I think it was thyroid hormones, but not quite sure.
    And by chance are you talking about the human body adapting to the physical demands.
    When you do it for so long you hit a plateau, where results come harder.
    When that happens you just kick up the intensity.
    FYI, you should always raise the intensity.
    Keep pushing yourself!!!