I need SUGAR in my coffee!!!!!!!!

Options
I've cut out refined sugar completely out of my diet for obvious reasons, so I'm trying to find an alternative because as hard as I've tried I just can't stand the taste of bitter coffee. Is there anything out there that won't cause brain cancer or have a funny taste? Have you guys tried anything that's pretty close to the real thing?

Thanks!

DesperatelySeekingSugar :sad:

Replies

• amicklin
    Options
    Well, there are a few options out there. You may have to do some taste testing and trial and error.

-Agave nectar
    -Honey
    -Truvia
    -Stevia (bottle or granules)

Hope this helps :happy:
  • Lyndo
    Lyndo Posts: 95
    Options
    I use sugar twin
    I add just a touch of that powder because it taste like i added 2 spoons full !!! So be careful not to put the whole little pouch! :flowerforyou:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Try Raw sugar, or cane sugar. It goes through very little processing and is still sugar. I use cane sugar that I pick up at a bulk food store. Brown sugar is good as well, more natural than refined white.
  • getfitter2009
    Options
    I used to have to have 4 sugars in my coffee, i now have to teaspoons of honey, which is much healthier, and tastes pretty much the same as sugar. I know have cut out white sugar (granulated) out of my diet completely. I guess the only sugar i eat is hidden in some if the food i eat, even though i eat much healthier foods now.

I also find that after a few weeks, i no longer crave for sugar.

I hope this helps,
    Good Luck on your journey
  • Rosebud1956
    Options
    I use Splenda, and have been for a few years. It is just like sugar and made from real sugar, just a substitute.
  • Demetria
    Options
    blackstrap molasses or honey or sugar in the raw, yeah that have some calories but they are minimally processed and actually have some additional nutrients like antioxidants, minerals.

Demetria
  • etey7
    etey7 Posts: 44
    Options
    try muscovado sugar.. 15 cals per serving.. it's minimally processed.. sort of a brown sugar but with a little bitter aftertaste.. really great on coffee for me cause it enhances the coffee flavor but still sweet... or you can use Splenda.. I think it's closer to the real thing..
  • LostInOhio
    Options
    I have tried cheap coffee (work) and more expensive coffee (starbucks and home) and I find when I go to the grocery store, if I spend a couple extra dollars on a bag, the coffee seems to be less bitter to me, so I drink it black. Maybe try a more expensive blend from a local store or in the grocery store and I don't necessarily mean Starbucks.

BTW, Costco's own personal brand is prepared by Starbucks and I can't personally taste the difference.
  • seawolve
    Options
    I really like splenda in my coffee, as a matter of fact I use splenda in everything I used to use reg sugar in.
  • Kait_liiin
    Kait_liiin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree that quality coffee is a must. Also, if sugar is your concern and not fat, I put 2 tablespoons of 10% blend cream which really cuts the bitterness.
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I really like using equal...to me it tastes just like sugar. I always get it in a tub, though, because for some reason it tastes different in the little packets :huh:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    In addition to the comment about quality of the actual coffee grounds, try buying a light roast as opposed to a medium (Starbuck's House Blend) or dark (French roast) because the taste tends to be more mild and it actually has more caffeine than the darker roasts. Flavored beans are almost always a light roast or most of the higher quality beans will tell you on the bag how dark the roast is. If the flavor is still too much for you try adding a little milk like another poster said. I think it helps cut bitterness as much as sugar.
  • SulisVioletWings
    Options
    Forgive me if I am wrong but I do not think splenda is a true natural sweetner made from sugar... maybe before it was processed into something unreconzable but I would never call it natural. I wish I had a link to a write up that I have read about this in the past. Also as I know you were asking about real food so it would not include the low calorie sweetners like equal or sugar twin etc.

There was a great post already about

honey
    aquave syrup
    stevia

Also I think the coffe bean idea is a great one as the better the quality the better the taste. You might even like it black when you try it. I would reccomend a fair trade coffee brand.

Hope you find exactly what you are looking for!:smile:
  • cwvanek
    cwvanek Posts: 111
    Options
    Sugar in the Raw is great. It's natural un-refined sugar.
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Try Agave--you can get it on amazon.com. It enters your system differently that sugar. Slower and less likely to add fat. Google it for more info

:smile: :wink: :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Try Raw sugar, or cane sugar. It goes through very little processing and is still sugar. I use cane sugar that I pick up at a bulk food store. Brown sugar is good as well, more natural than refined white.
    I use raw sugar and love it!
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    Sweeteners with caloric value that affect blood sugar levels:

Sucrose (white refined table sugar, Sugar in the Raw)
    Sucanat (less sweet than sucrose, but similar structure)
    Honey (a high fructose content natural sweetener)
    Agave syrup (similar to honey)
    Brown rice syrup (similar to honey)
    Glucose syrup (less sweet than sucrose, produces a lesser rise in BG levels)
    Dextrose / dextrins (also less sweet than sucrose, lesser rise in BG levels)
    Fructose powder (derived from fruit, a high reaction on BG levels...AVOID!)

Sweeteners that are low to no calorie value and seem to have little to no affect on blood sugar are:

Stevia (derived from the leaves of the stevia plant)
    Xylitol (derived from birch)
    Sucralose (Splenda - NOT a natural sweetener)
    Aspartame (Equal, etc - NOT a naural sweetener)
    Saccharin (Sweet N Low - NOT a natural sweetener)
    Maltitol (Not a natural sweetener)

Many low cal sweetener options may also be called "sugar alcohols" as they're derived in part from sugar or corn.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

I agree with this if you are not senstivie to sugar.
  • jaminsmonster
    Options
    I have tried Xylitol (derived from birch) & liked it. It may be little more expensive but a small amount go's a very long way :)
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Unless there is a compelling health reason not to use it, just go with the sugar and be sure to count it into your overall caloric intake. Sugar gets a bad rap just because people use it to excess. For normal healthy people, it really is better than all the substitutes.