run it or walk/run 13.1mi

Options
mmk137
mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
I've posted this in a half marathon group, but so far I have had no response, so I thought I would try the general boards.

In your 1st half/marathon did you run it all or did you run/walk?

the reason I ask is because one of my goals is to do a 1/2 marathon. The half marathon I plan on doing is the Melbourne Marathon in October, so I have lots of training time to build up my distance.
I currently run 10km in about 65mins.
I recently found a training program with the aim to do a half marathon in 2hr20mins. I was looking closely at it today and 'race' day is run 4 mins walk 1, repeat x amount of times.
Now I'm contemplating to do the half marathon this way, or just to train to run the whole thing.

Thoughts?

Replies

• mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first half this past weekend. I ran with my cousin, we ran slow, walked through the water stations and on just a couple of the bigger bridges (they are big hills).
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of training for my first 1/2, in October too; and I plan to run it fully bc that's what my program has me doing. You'll find what makes you comfortable during your training. I've seen some do a few walk intervals. As long as you cross the finish line is all that matters. Good luck!
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I did my first this Sunday. I ran almost all of it, and had to walk a little bit due to a bad calf cramp.

With you 10k pace, I think you might be able to run t he whole thing. Also, you have plenty of time to train and build up your endurance.

Which plan were you looking at? I used Hal Higdon's Novice 2 plan.

Good luck!
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    IMO, you have plenty of time to train to run it the whole way.

BTW, this is a cool site for predicting paces and figuring out training paces:

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/site/calculator

It's just a guide of course, not gospel. But given your current 10K time, if you get your weekly mileage up to 25-30 miles per week, I'd think you would have no problem running the whole Half Marathon.

Also, some good training plans here:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

Disclaimer: I'm currently in training for doing a HM, in February. Above opinions based purely on research and talking to runners :D
  • TJamesChristensen
    Options
    I guess I did my first half backwards, by the time I did it I had already run 3 marathons. So it was never a problem worrying about finishing. I will say that I like to approach everything with the attitude that I will finish the entire event without having to walk. Of course that doesn't always work out and sometimes you are faced with walking/jogging. There is no right or wrong way, its all about you mentally and physically. If you think you can handle training to run the entire race then go for it, and if not then there is nothing wrong with walking. That's the great thing about training/running the event, if things aren't going the way you thought then you can always change it up.
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The short walk intervals can be very useful if you get fatigued or crampy on race day. I ran a half several years ago and used the walk intervals in finished in 2:18.

Depends on your goal...I don't get hung up on walk vs. run and I don't feel like i "failed" if I walked some in a race. I have some of my best times, even in 5K distance, if I do a 15 second walk break around the beginning of mile 3 or if a very steep hill. My HRM also suggests I get just as good of a workout with the walk intervals because I run harder after the quick breaks (actually it suggests a better workout and calorie burn).
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Either way is fine. I have done marathons both ways and had good races both times. If you are going to do it with walk breaks each running portion will have to be a somewhat faster pace than if you ran it the whole way. However, the walk breaks make that faster running pace easier to maintain over the distance.
  • TerresaJ
    TerresaJ Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first 1/2 marathon about 3 weeks ago. I trained by running 7 to 10 miles once a week and shorter runs or walks on the other days. I also knew that the course was going to have hills so I did hill training.
    My goal was to run the whole thing without stopping and to not be last. :) I figured I would be somewhere between 2 hours 30 minutes and 2 hours 40 minutes. This was based on my times when I was training.
    My time for my 1/2 was 2 hours 26 minutes and 44 seconds! I did not stop running the whole time. Needless to say, I was pleased. :)
    Hope this helps some......and good luck!!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I ended up walking the last 7km of my first half but that was because I had a problem with my IT band and recording a DNF was not an option.

If you can already comfortably run 10km and the race is in October you have plenty of time to train to run the whole distance but if you prefer to do a run/walk that's cool too - I've seen runners turn in some pretty impressive times using a walk run (you run intervals will typically be at a faster pace).

I ran a half in January (all running) and I've got a half coming up May 27th - I plan on running the whole distance.
  • willismack2
    willismack2 Posts: 84
    Options
    I like to run the whole thing except walk through the aid stations. Usually these breaks came about every 2 miles in the races I've done. I also train that way during long runs, taking a drink/walk break for about 30 sec every 2 miles. Seems to work ok,.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'll be running my first half in a week.

I'll be doing a 5/1 run walk. I expect to complete it in 2:30:00
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half this past Saturday.

I ran the whole thing. My first goal was to complete it, my second was to not walk, my third was to get between 2:30 and 2:40 and came in at 2:29:48.

It is up to you on what method you do.

I know people who do the run/walk method and swear by it.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I run the whole time in all of my races. Once I start walking, I can't start running again. I admire those who can b/c sometimes I would like a walk break, but just can't do it. Starting up after walking is too difficult for me. But, if it works for you do it. Many people do. But if you can run the whole way, then I don't see any reason for walking.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    thank you to all that replied. it has been very helpful.

my aim is to run the whole thing. I've got the hal h program bookmarked, so I'll be doing that.

Thanks.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    thank you to all that replied. it has been very helpful.

my aim is to run the whole thing. I've got the hal h program bookmarked, so I'll be doing that.

Thanks.

Cool, good luck!
  • RunningAggie
    Options
    I follow Jeff Galloway's run/walk/run method. It's the only way I would be able to cover such long distances and it keeps me injury free. I'll be doing my second half this July and then the WDW marathon in January using this method. Do I wish I could run the whole thing? Yes. But doing the walk breaks keeps me strong to the finish. You'll find what's best for you. It's all about crossing the finished line!
  • catweazle12
    catweazle12 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    During my first half marathon I ran for 10 mins then walked for 1 min. I hated that race. I found the timed run/walk thing too rigid and was stressing me out even though I had trained that way!
    Second half I did with a different friend, we ran/ walked but only walked through the water stations. We didn't walk through them all, totally flexible and was a much better race for me.
    We did the same for our first full marathon in 2009. I completed my 5th marathon last Sunday, stopped twice, once to help someone out (poor girl was cramping) and the other to use the porta potty.
    So in the end I'd say, train to run straight through but if on race day that's not what you feel like doing then listen to your body and walk some.
  • ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    We used jeff galloways running plan in the sense that we did the distances he recommended. But I didn't walk as much as he said to...
    That said, when I did my first half, I allowed myself to walk at every water station. That was PERFECT. It forced me to takea break, not choke on my water, and it really invigorated me.

I finished in 2 hrs 35ish (that included a bathroom break ).

I am doing another one in september and I am about about to start training again, I will still walk, but hoping to increase my running pace!

good luck!!