P90x Yoga

Options
TXHunny84
TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
I was curious about if when those of you who do the p90x yoga where a HRM and log the calories the HRM says or go by what MFP says for 90 minutes of yoga. It's not really a cardio workout and Tony doesn't say to wear a HRM but I wore mine today because I wanted to see what the calorie burn would say. MFP says 90 minutes of yoga in 283 calories burned and my HRM says 650!! That is a HUGE difference!! Could that be right when half the yoga you are sitting and stretching?...

BTW I am 5'6" 161lbs F 28yr and I wore a Polar FT4

Replies

• kooldill
    kooldill Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    heart rate monitors should be your best bet
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    I would go with your HRM. YogaX is no joke!
  • gmgburton
    gmgburton Posts: 11
    Options
    I would go by your hrm.. I can personally say "enough with the downward dogs !!!". I end up and up puddle of sweat....
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    i have a polar f6...i burn 180 cals. during yogax...i hate that workout!! its forever long and burns nothing in my book...arrgghh, it does feel good though!!
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    P90X yoga is so hard (of course, I'm terribly inflexible)! I sweat worse than when I run. I say your HR monitor sounds right!
  • terryswade
    terryswade Posts: 11
    Options
    I wear my HRM for all of my P90X exercises. For Yoga X I'm at 600 cals. X me and kep:smile: it up.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    WOW! Really??... I was thinking it was too high? Awesome!! :) Thank you everyone!
  • ClassicPearl
    ClassicPearl Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Great to know! I was unsure about doing the Yoga this Sunday, but hey -- if she can burn 600 calories, I'm curious to know what I can do!
  • nessvsgiygas
    nessvsgiygas Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    WOW! Really??... I was thinking it was too high? Awesome!! :) Thank you everyone!

It definitely seems that way. That's yoga90x for you.

I love that session so much that I would even do it on my rest day! Keeps you sweating, focused on balance and form--it's a hell of a workout!

And everyone could use a bit more hip-openers.
  • fatimaaamir
    fatimaaamir Posts: 11
    Options
    Since the results vary so much from person to person, really makes me wanna go out and purchase a HRM.
  • HorganMom3
    HorganMom3 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I burn 450-500 on p90x yoga! Wear the HRM... It's guesstamation, if its wrong, will be closer to correct then an "average" rate posted anywhere. It's gonna end up different for different people. My friend hates it and only burns bout 150 cals or so.. me I bust booty and love it!
  • carriebays
    Options
    Have you seen this link? http://p90xcalories.com/
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My HRM said 378 for me and i thought I was working myself pretty hard. I'm 5'7" and 160lbs. My husband burns twice that and he's 6" and about 195.
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Weird how different this is for everyone. Even though I find this very challenging due to my lack of flexibility, my heart rate stays really low for this workout - I looked at one point and it was 44. Today I only burned 177 calories and was in my target heart rate zone for less than 1 minute. I actually think that I would burn more calories going for a leisurely walk. But I will keep doing it because it is good for my flexibility. I just wish it wasn't so darn long. FYI - I am 5'9 and 136. My resting heart rate is in the mid- 40s to low 50s.