cardio without using feet

Options
Does anyone have a suggestion, other than swimming, for a cardio workout that would not use my feet? I have 2 neuromas on each foot and after a normal cardio session, it feels like I'm walking on razor blades. Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• tarnbop
    tarnbop Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    At my local gym, there's a machine which is like a bike for your arms... not sure what it's called or how 'cardio' it is... I know it helped build up my arm muscles too....

How about lying on your back and cycling your legs? No pressure on your feet, but same kind of movement....
    Hope you get better soon!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    At my local gym, there's a machine which is like a bike for your arms... not sure what it's called or how 'cardio' it is... I know it helped build up my arm muscles too....

How about lying on your back and cycling your legs? No pressure on your feet, but same kind of movement....
    Hope you get better soon!

Think it's called an ergometer. It does provide decent cardio if you work it... like a stationary bike. Because it's not weight-supporting it won't burn as many calories as, say, elliptical or running, but it will do while you recover.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a rowing machine?

Not sure how friendly it is on the feet as you do use your legs, but it is definitely better than running, walking, elliptical, etc.

Good luck!
  • tarnbop
    tarnbop Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Think it's called an ergometer. It does provide decent cardio if you work it... like a stationary bike. Because it's not weight-supporting it won't burn as many calories as, say, elliptical or running, but it will do while you recover.

Thanks! I knew what I meant, but just don't know all the names of equipment!
  • Denfks
    Denfks Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a bad knee...no lunges, squats, or impact...so I do an upper body cardio on the punching bag with no weight on that knee. I beat the crap out of that bag, and my husband is amazed at the amount of sweat. I tell him that he better not get out of line or else! :) You might be able to modify a boxing routine from a seated position...a stool or something??
  • makeitbetter
    Options
    My wife has foot problems too. You can try a recumbent stationary bike. It's the kind you sit in like a chair.
  • Wilson336
    Wilson336 Posts: 76
    Options
    A home option would be a low-weight/high-rep upper body workout (maybe even resistance bands). Low enough weight that you can keep it up for 15-20 minutes (alternating exercises) without stopping. It's definitely not ideal, as your largest muscles are in your legs, and the demand to get oxygen to your muscles is what cardio is all about...but at least it is something.
  • midkid123
    midkid123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas, I will see if my gym has the right equiptment to try some of them.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Could you just get an arm scuplting/upper body video & work on that ? Something like a video would be a good investment to get over your "hump" or request different ones from your library before you buy one. Im going to library this morning to pick up jillian michaels killer buns & thighs - yikes ! i requested it & it took 4days to come in. ill keep it for a week then either renew for another week if its something i like - or go out and buy it. At home videos are great workouts !
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    swimming, rowing machine, kayaking, wheelchair racing, boxing
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Boxing. Straight up. If you learn how to punch correctly, it can actually burn more calories than when you run. Also helps to make your bones more dense, strengthen your shoulders, and "harden" up your arms.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I used to do kundalini yoga, and a lot of it was sitting down but very much a cardio workout. Lots of arms and abs with hard focused breathing. You should check it out.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    If you go on YouTube and search "Chair Aerobics" you'll come up with a lot of free segments... A lot of them are hilariously low budget and full of weird public access TV effects, but it's a low-cost, low-equipment option! :)
  • HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have neuropathy in my feet so I run in pool, use water weights and a noodle. Surprisingly effective. I'm losing inches and weight.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a suggestion, other than swimming, for a cardio workout that would not use my feet? I have 2 neuromas on each foot and after a normal cardio session, it feels like I'm walking on razor blades. Any advice would be appreciated!

I am a spin instructor. Yes my feet hurt ALL THE TIME so i can't really run. However I have been spinning 4 years and honestly its one of the best cardio devices out there.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You can sit in your living room and do punching drills and get a great cardio workout. The other suggestions are all great too, but when I had a broken toe and torn ligaments in my ankle and had to have knee surgery, punching drills were my go to exercise to keep my cardio up. Warning, though, anytime you add arm movement to an exercise, it elevates the heart rate more then lower body activities alone but you aren't using as much muscle mass for the activity so a heart rate monitor will give you an artificially elevated Calorie burn estimate.
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a rowing machine?

Not sure how friendly it is on the feet as you do use your legs, but it is definitely better than running, walking, elliptical, etc.

Good luck!

^^^^^I was going to suggest this one as well!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Rent a kayak on the weekends from REI or some such place.

Its awesome!
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Pushups, situps and crunches burn a lot of calories, the combine aerobic workout with strength training, and you do not need any equipment
  • mikewpg1ca
    mikewpg1ca Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you have access to a set of ropes at home or at your gym, but if so, I've recently started to do the occasional undulating rope workout. They make for a great HIIT workout and will have your heart rate elevated in no time at all. It's all with your arms.

Here's a few videos from one of the companies that makes them. http://calropes.com/