Questioning dairy products and metabolism / snack suggetions

Options
I didn't know dairy slowed your metabolism! That is some of my favorite snacks.. laughing cow cheese or american cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt... all low fat or fat free etc etc. Any snack suggestions besides veggies and nuts? Or whats everyones thoughts on dairy?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I didn't know dairy slowed your metabolism! That is some of my favorite snacks.. laughing cow cheese or american cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt... all low fat or fat free etc etc. Any snack suggestions besides veggies and nuts? Or whats everyones thoughts on dairy?

What source are you using that tells you that dairy slows your metabolism?
  • kristynkayte
    kristynkayte Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Wow...I had never heard that either. I love string cheese as a quick snack. Hmmmm...guess I should rethink that!
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I drink milk daily and just finished an egg salad sandwich now.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I had never heard a thing about that before and it seems like another dieting myth type of thing. Especially considering that I love cheese and yogurt as well and eat it nearly every day and never see any dips in my calories burned per minute in relation to eating dairy vs. times I don't eat dairy.

But I googled it, and did happen to find one thing about it from 2010. I'm still putting it down as myth, or at least in the category of someone did a study and got some results and released it as widespread "knowledge" and that if you wereto research it, there would probably be another study someone that proves the exact opposite. (same category as carbs make you fat/carbs don't matter, eat three meals/eat six meals, fat is good/fat is the devil, breakfast is required/breakfast doesn't matter, etc. etc. etc.)

And even in the one thing I did find, it was specific to whole fat dairy, so all of your nonfat and low fat stuff wouldn't make a difference anyway (other than increased sodium and other fillers to replace the fats). The other two items on the list in the article (on Livestrong) are fried foods and fast food, so take it as you will, but this is what it says (and I couldn't find the actual study that is mentioned only medical articles about some metabolic syndromes and digestive health):

"Foods to Avoid that Slow Down Metabolism
    Nov 18,2010

Whole-Fat Dairy Products

Whole-milk yogurt, cream, sour cream, cheese and ice cream represent foods to avoid and replace with healthier milk products. Seemingly healthy foods that you eat every day or frequently can slow down metabolism gradually, without arousing suspicion about your good diet. If you drink milk daily, note the fat content.

According to the American College of Gastroenterology, fatty foods move more slowly through the digestive system. A continual supply of up to 8 g of fat per 1 cup of whole milk or yogurt, versus 0 g in nonfat milk and yogurt, can cause you to exceed your total fat values and calorie allowances when added to the other foods on your daily menus. Becoming overweight and more sedentary can add to your lethargy.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/311770-foods-to-avoid-that-slow-down-metabolism/#ixzz1uftgrOzR"
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    lol - checked a few more of the google links after I posted the above and found this article:
    http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/diet-mistakes-slow-metabolism/10-youre-not-getting-enough-dairy

"Diet Mistakes that Slow Metabolism

Learn healthy eating tips to stoke your fat burn all day long

Ignite your body's fat-burning furnace
    1. You don't eat enough
    2. You avoid caffeine
    3. Your carbs are white
    4. Your water is room temperature
    5. Your food is covered with pesticides
    6. Your meal lacks protein
    7. Your diet needs to pump iron
    8. You're missing this crucial vitamin
    9. You've had one drink too many
    --->10. You're not getting enough dairy<---

10. You're not getting enough dairy

"There's some evidence that calcium deficiency, which is common in many women, may slow metabolism," says Lakatos. Research shows that consuming calcium through dairy foods such as fat-free milk and low-fat yogurt may also reduce fat absorption from other foods.

Published November 2011, Prevention
    Updated December 2011"
  • nwoolley
    nwoolley Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was at work yesterday when one of my co-workers, a body builder, told me that I should decrease dairy products because it will slow my metabolism. I was in shock because I had never heard that. Later in the day I double checked the info with my trainer and she too agreed that I should limit dairy because of slowed metabolism. Instead turn to veggies and nuts. ( boring to me as a snack) but I do try to incorporate them. So I was just a bit upset because that is really my favorite snacks.. as I said, yogurt, laughing cow, cottage cheese etc. all low fat. I never thought to google it so thank you wolfchild59 for those articles. I think I will start doing a little research. Thanks for everyone's response! Just curious what do all of you eat for a healthy snack?
  • nwoolley
    Options
    I had never heard a thing about that before and it seems like another dieting myth type of thing. Especially considering that I love cheese and yogurt as well and eat it nearly every day and never see any dips in my calories burned per minute in relation to eating dairy vs. times I don't eat dairy.

But I googled it, and did happen to find one thing about it from 2010. I'm still putting it down as myth, or at least in the category of someone did a study and got some results and released it as widespread "knowledge" and that if you wereto research it, there would probably be another study someone that proves the exact opposite. (same category as carbs make you fat/carbs don't matter, eat three meals/eat six meals, fat is good/fat is the devil, breakfast is required/breakfast doesn't matter, etc. etc. etc.)

And even in the one thing I did find, it was specific to whole fat dairy, so all of your nonfat and low fat stuff wouldn't make a difference anyway (other than increased sodium and other fillers to replace the fats). The other two items on the list in the article (on Livestrong) are fried foods and fast food, so take it as you will, but this is what it says (and I couldn't find the actual study that is mentioned only medical articles about some metabolic syndromes and digestive health):

"Foods to Avoid that Slow Down Metabolism
    Nov 18,2010

Whole-Fat Dairy Products

Whole-milk yogurt, cream, sour cream, cheese and ice cream represent foods to avoid and replace with healthier milk products. Seemingly healthy foods that you eat every day or frequently can slow down metabolism gradually, without arousing suspicion about your good diet. If you drink milk daily, note the fat content.

According to the American College of Gastroenterology, fatty foods move more slowly through the digestive system. A continual supply of up to 8 g of fat per 1 cup of whole milk or yogurt, versus 0 g in nonfat milk and yogurt, can cause you to exceed your total fat values and calorie allowances when added to the other foods on your daily menus. Becoming overweight and more sedentary can add to your lethargy.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/311770-foods-to-avoid-that-slow-down-metabolism/#ixzz1uftgrOzR&quot;
  • nwoolley
    Options
    I found that article and other one you posted. I cannot believe I just blindly taken what I was told yesterday as truth! If anything lowfat dairy helps! So I really would like to know what everyone eats as a healthy snack?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

??????????????????
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I found that article and other one you posted. I cannot believe I just blindly taken what I was told yesterday as truth! If anything lowfat dairy helps! So I really would like to know what everyone eats as a healthy snack?

Greek yogurt, veggies with hummus, quest bar, apples with peanut butter, popcorn?
  • nwoolley
    Options
    Thanks for the snack ideas... love hummus and peanut butter :)
  • jakeeiasteen
    Options
    yea i heard of the same if you want to do advance weight loss i would cut out the dairy for a while. i eat maybe 1 cup total of low fat and sugar free icecream a week.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    yea i heard of the same if you want to do advance weight loss i would cut out the dairy for a while. i eat maybe 1 cup total of low fat and sugar free icecream a week.

I'm sorry but did you read the other replies debunking this statement. Dairy actually aids in metabolism and fat burning....
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    Track your Calcium carefully if you are going to avoid dairy.

I think it is one of the best values nutrtionally that I use.

No way I'd give it up based on some random body builder's advice. Do your own research on medical sites like Mayo Clinic or WebMD, not pop-culture internet articles.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I have never heard anything about dairy actually SLOWING your metabolism, either. However, due to the calorie density of most dairy products, you have to limit them, but that is just because they tend to be higher in fat and calories.

On a side note, I actually had a friend of mine that made a good point to me once - that as an adult, you don't really need dairy products. Dairy was intended to feed babies and children and give them the growth calories and nutrition that they need in an easy to ingest form. Humans are about the only species on earth that continues to eat large amounts of dairy after they are grown. Why? Probably because of the non-stop Dairy Farmers of America advertising (got milk?; Milk - it does a body good, I love Cheese, etc).

Once you aren't growing anymore, dairy products are not necessary. The calcium you need can be obtained in other forms if you are eating a well balanced diet:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/236558-sources-of-calcium-other-than-milk/

Oh, and I don't have anything to back this up either, but I also find it hard to believe that dairy SPEEDS UP your metabolism either. Think about it - why would a food intended for growth make your body less efficient (spend more calories to do the same function). I think the only ways to speed up your metabolism is more activity and more muscle mass.
  • cbenzerga
    cbenzerga Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Just add in some different things, don't let all your snacks be dairy. But i've never heard of dairy slowing down the metabolism. I love apples, wheat thins (reduced fat), and one of yours (laughing cow) fruit in general.. nutri grain bars, cashews & almonds (natural raw).