Are Diet Cokes slowing me down? More water?

Options
I love diet cokes. I probably drink more than I should. Think it's slowing down my weight loss? I only have about 15 lbs to lose. I"m losing 1-2 lbs a week. I drink very little water and never meet my 8 glass minimum. Have you noticed an increase in weight loss when you drink more water? I appreciate your input! Thanks!

Replies

• Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't of thought something with little to no calories is going to stop someone from losing weight.

I could understand if someone wasn't eating enough which would stop you from losing weight. Are you sure you are eating enough?
  • ajelove
    ajelove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Carbonated drinks cause bloating, Also I've read about diet drinks making your crave carbs and other sweet things. http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-sodas-and-weight-gain-not-so-fast
    I also seem to retain water whenever I drink sodas or beer.
  • KBecks
    KBecks Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Work on drinking more water, and when you are thirsty, reach for the water first before your Diet Coke. If you drink a glass of water and still want your Diet Coke, then try that... at least you will be getting more water.

Good luck!
  • IamJacksColdSweat
    IamJacksColdSweat Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love diet cokes. I probably drink more than I should. Think it's slowing down my weight loss? I only have about 15 lbs to lose. I"m losing 1-2 lbs a week. I drink very little water and never meet my 8 glass minimum. Have you noticed an increase in weight loss when you drink more water? I appreciate your input! Thanks!

You are probably losing weight slowly (which, btw, 1-2 lbs per week is GREAT and recommended) because you are only 15lbs away from your goal. Someone who is significantly heavier than you (like myself, for instance. I have 72lbs until I hit my goal) might lose weight a little faster because they have more to lose, although most weeks, I lose around 2lbs myself.

You are doing a great job as it is if you are losing 1-2lbs a week. That being said, you probably want to up your water intake but the diet cokes themselves shouldn't be slowing you down as long as the rest of your food intake is in check.
  • DAMNCHARLIE
    DAMNCHARLIE Posts: 569
    Options
    I love diet cokes, especially Coke Zero, but yes I agree you should consume as much drinking water as you can:drinker:
  • missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't consume diet soda. It's just not healthy for you. Try drinking water different ways. I love soaking cucumbers and strawberries in it, I also consume more water when it's room temperature versus cold.
  • beccacarlton
    beccacarlton Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    with only 15lbs to lose, you're doing well at 1-2pounds a week. a lot of people see no weight loss related effects with drinking/not drinking diet cokes. if anything, you could retain less water initially, but some don't want to give it up. i still drink them occasionally as well.

so it's preference, but also consider the health factors, it's a bunch of chemicals that will in the long run do some funky things to your body.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I've heard that drinking room temp/warm water is better than cold. Why is that? I personally don't like it that way, I always have to have my water cold to enjoy drinking it.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Google some articles re:diet soda and weight loss.Next, ask yourself that question again.
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Every time I cut my diet coke habit I immediately drop 1-2 lbs. So something in it makes me retain water. Now, notice I said "every time." :smile: It's a recurring cycle. I'll break the habit for a while, then think, I'll just have one, then it will slowly creep back up where I'm drinking more soda than water and I'll have to start the process over again.

Water will help your weight loss and your overall health. Our bodies need it. It has been my experience that if you increase your water intake you will usually see an increase in the rate at which you lose.

But if you are losing 1-2 pounds a week, then you are doing great! So I would says its really up to you on whether or not you want to cut back or not. But more water would help, IMO.
  • steinbok
    steinbok Posts: 82
    Options
    Forget the D.C's. Ultimately, they make you more hungry and are full of chemicals you would not want to put in your body. Water or tea is 1000% better.
    The only sweetener that should be considered (if you're going that route), is stevia, nothing else.