Am i eating too much? what can i cut?

Options
HI. I'm stuck, alot of my 'friends on MFP eat like 400-600 cals etc a day. I however am eating atleast the minimum if not often over and i feel like i am eating way too much. i barely under eat as i tend to eat tons in the evening. Can anyone help me as too what to cut out etc because i try to eat healthy/balanced meals but my calories are always too high so what should i cut out? i have porridge in the monring because oats are good for you etc.. but my breakfasts are like 300 cals and alot of people on here dont seem to eat breakfast. should i do the same? agr help! i just want to know what i am doing wrong thankyou!

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Dump the people eating 400-600 calories per day and find other friends who eat normally and who have had success.

Eating at least 1200 calories is a good thing, not a bad one.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    HI. I'm stuck, alot of my 'friends on MFP eat like 400-600 cals etc a day. I however am eating atleast the minimum if not often over and i feel like i am eating way too much. i barely under eat as i tend to eat tons in the evening. Can anyone help me as too what to cut out etc because i try to eat healthy/balanced meals but my calories are always too high so what should i cut out? i have porridge in the monring because oats are good for you etc.. but my breakfasts are like 300 cals and alot of people on here dont seem to eat breakfast. should i do the same? agr help! i just want to know what i am doing wrong thankyou!
    First: don't eat like your friends. :smile: Eat to fuel your body. A 300 calorie breakfast is totally reasonable.

It would help folks give you suggestions if you opened your diary.

PS: I eat about 1500 calories and I'm losing weight.
  • emptyplate
    emptyplate Posts: 62
    Options
    I think i've set it to public if you get a chance to lok that'd be brilliant! it really helps to know you eta 1500 and still loose weight. the 400 cal thing is so triggering because it really makes me feel so fat in comparison and i know it isn't healthy but agr! haha
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I think i've set it to public if you get a chance to lok that'd be brilliant! it really helps to know you eta 1500 and still loose weight. the 400 cal thing is so triggering because it really makes me feel so fat in comparison and i know it isn't healthy but agr! haha

Yeah, sounds like some of your friends have eating disorders or some kind of mental hangup on food. You need to get away from that and focus on people who are fit and healthy who can help you reach your goals.

Do you have any fitness goals besides dropping a few pounds?

If not, I'd suggest setting up a few to work towards. The number of the scale is really irrelevant as long as you're fit, healthy, and happy with yourself. Nobody sees that number but you.
  • karen0080
    karen0080 Posts: 64
    Options
    Don't eat like your friends. I think you need to eat more. Eat closer to your BMR don't go under 1200 calories. Looking at your diary I would add more protein It will help keep you fuller. Drink water it helps wash the bad things from your body. Please don't eat like your friends. You will lose if you eat right and log everything. It helps keep you accountable for what you eat. :wink: Eating breakfast is important. You are 18 and your body needs the fuel to function. You didn't put the lbs on over night and they don't come off over night. Watching what you eat and exercise is the most simple way to lose and the best.
  • Chantal34
    Chantal34 Posts: 128
    Options
    I can't imagine trying to live off of 400 calories a day..your friends might have eating disorders.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Dump the people eating 400-600 calories per day and find other friends who eat normally and who have had success.

Eating at least 1200 calories is a good thing, not a bad one.

Exactly.
  • walkner88
    walkner88 Posts: 165
    Options
    Wow the things your "friends" are eating is so bad I thought this was a joke at first. Always always always always eat breakfast. Oatmeal is good but I do recommend something with a little more protein. This has been proven to keep you full for longer throughout the day as well as prevent snacking. A good example is eggs. Second of all with balanced meals and snacks even the 1200 calories mfp gives most women is way too low. You may want to tell your friends that the 1200 is already factoring in a hefty deficit for weight loss so dropping below even that is very unhealthy. Over a long time of doing this (not immediately like some will claim) your body will lower your metabolism and you will be prone to holding onto the fat in foods. If you want to lose weight in a healthy way I do recommend doing a checkup with your doc first and they'll tell you similar things about your calories but may have some great information about groups or gyms in your area that can help. Feel free to add me or any other healthy eater as your friend on here.
  • StrawberryRainclouds
    Options
    We have eating disorders..
    Delete the ones eating 300.
    I'm in recovery though so I'm eating the correct amount and being HEALTHY ^_^
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    trollolol
  • nheilweil
    nheilweil Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary and you aren't eating too much and there's nothing I'd cut and it looks like your achieving your goals.

My only recommendation would be to add more protein! Try to have some protein at every meal, including your snacks. And focus on eating healthy foods, as you do, like salads (watch the dressings) and veggies!

And I'm suggest what everyone else has said -- don't follow the advice of folks eating so few calories! :-)
  • emptyplate
    Options
    We have eating disorders..
    Delete the ones eating 300.
    I'm in recovery though so I'm eating the correct amount and being HEALTHY ^_^

Thats brilliant! congratulations! <3 im genuinly so happy for you <3
  • deltadrew1
    deltadrew1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm not trying to be critical or nasty but I had a look at your profile and it's very pro-ana (even down to your username).
    Looking through your food diary, it's evident that you've started to restrict quite severely lately. If you know anything about ED's, as I'm sure you do, you know restriction leads to binge, binge leads to restriction, restriction leads to binge etc. It's a cycle.
    Keep your calories at a healthy, maintainable amount and you'll be more likely to loose steadily as opposed to a lose/gain/lose/gain situation. Try not to be so hung up on the bodies of your friends and their intakes, especially friends coming from a pro-ana perspective, or you'll be on a quick road to destruction.
  • Cravenamanda
    Cravenamanda Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request, I eat from 1700-1900+ per day:) Even with that I am losing weight! I can not go without food.
  • stephaniebrowning
    Options
    Your friends have a problem!
  • emptyplate
    Options
    Thnkyou so much everyone!!! i really needed this good advice. sometimes its jsut hard to try and focus on healthy eating when it seems that everyone is eating less and is thinner - i know they aren't but you know what i mean? - thankyou <3
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    Thnkyou so much everyone!!! i really needed this good advice. sometimes its jsut hard to try and focus on healthy eating when it seems that everyone is eating less and is thinner - i know they aren't but you know what i mean? - thankyou <3

I think you might find this useful: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies

I wrote it a while back to help some of the new people here and to share my own experience, but it's still valid.

Good luck to you, and just stay healthy.
  • StrawberryRainclouds
    Options
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I looked at your eating for the past week and I think you need more veggies, good source of vitamins and minerals. Also, don't be afraid to get that variety of protein into your body, such as eggs, yogurts, turkey, etc. The protein will help you feel fuller longer and you need it for recovery from exercises. Take some type of vitamin daily and Do Not Be Afraid to eat!!! You will be fine!!! Sometimes one of my breakfast meals are 400 cals. Just eat wisely and you will do okay. That being said, it won't kill you if you eat pizza of something not as nutritious once in awhile. We all do, we are human!!! Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. Best of luck to you. My name is Norman.