Why am I not loosing weight?

Options
Hi, everyone!

I'm new to this but have been trying to eat 1,300 calories a day in order to loose a pound a week. Every day i eat under and its not that I'm trying to starve myself but I'm just genuinely not hungry, I don't understand why I'm not loosing weight? I'm 131 pounds and five foot four so i don't know if it is taking me longer to loose weight as i'm not considerably overweight ?

I also feel like i can never fill my calorie budget, for example today i had an apple for breakfast, 80 calories, half a can of soup for lunch, 105 calories. Then for dinner I had a curry, which I know is not healthy but i had loads of calories left. I had

Pataks Original - Jalfrezi Medium Cooking Sauce 500g Jar, 1/4 Jar: 121 calories
Generic - Mushrooms, White, Stir-Fried, 1 Cup Sliced (108 g): 28 calories
Generic - Red Onions Stir Fried, 1/2 cup cooked: 30 calories
Aldi - Pilau Rice, 200 g: 322 calories
Tesco - Olive Light Spread, 10 g: 35 calories
Tesco - Tesco Everyday Value Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets Small , 136 g: 180 calories

So that resulted in 716 calories.

All together i've had 901 calories and i've still got nearly four hundred left.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong as i'm constantly under eating ( even though i'm not hungry- in fact i don't really feel like my diet has changed) and i'm still not loosing weight.

Its only my second week in!

Thank you for your help, I just really don't want to give up on this site

Replies

• LoraAnn86
    LoraAnn86 Posts: 14
    Options
    You're not eating enough. I was always told to eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, then dinner to keep your metabolism up and make sure you get the right nutrition. Just make sure you make the right food choices when doing so. Also the fact that you don't necessarily need to lose much weight it will take a little longer for weight to start dropping off. Good luck! Sorry if this doesn't help but it's helped me.
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    You are eating too many carbohydrates.

It's that simple.

(Very likely, you should be eating considerably MORE calories than that. But the whole issue is carbs -> pancreas - > insulin -> fat cells.)

Read "Life without bread" by Dr. Lutz. Enjoy! You'll be kate moss in a year.
  • hia11rlb
    hia11rlb Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. But I was under the illusion I was not eating too many carbs. For example, today I have had 110 carbs and i still have 73 left? MFP is recommending i eat 183 but do you think thats too much?
  • thejackmary
    Options
    I was also told in Weight Watchers the you have to eat all or most of your calories because if you don't, your body "thinks" you're in starvation mode and will hold on to all the fat. So take advantage and enjoy! :smile:
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Your NET calories is the number that is important....That needs to be at 1200 AT LEAST. Me personally I have to watch my sodium intake as well. I bloat easily. Drink water like it's going outta style!!! I drink so much water everyday it's crazy! lol

Edit: Also, yes you are right - the less weight you have to lose the harder it can be.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Consume things that are higher on calories. Make it apple with peanut butter, avocados, snack on nuts, eat more protein?
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It could be any number of issues from not eating enough "quality" calories to sodium. For one an apple for breakfast is not going to cut it. You need some protein. Try greek yogurt, a protein shake, an 1 egg and one egg white...

Again a can of soup for lunch is most likely high in sodium and lacking in other areas. Try a lean protien like fish, chicken and a couple servings of veggies.

I just started losing again and it is because my Boot Camp instructor told me to up my protein considerably.
    Now I snack on string cheese, almonds, avacado...

I work out at 6am every morning and was instructed to get my carbs (starchy) in, in my after workout snack and in lunch if I'm going to eat them at all. If I feel like eating them I will add 1/3C couscous or rice or whatever to my lean protien and veggies.

This might not work for everyone but it's worth it to take a look at the nutritional value of the foods that you are eating instead of just worrying about keeping calories low.
  • ColtyHan
    ColtyHan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time somethimes too. I don't like to cook much at breakfast or lunch time. I'd try to add something in your first 2 meals to even out your calorie intake. For breakfast you could have a yogurt or some whole wheat toast with peanut butter. For lunch have a sandwich with your soup, or a salad with some grilled chicken on it.
  • lilrivertami
    lilrivertami Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not a professional nutritionalist or anything, but I do study and read a lot about nutrition. I would agree with those who say you are not eating enough, one apple and half a can of soup is just not enough food - and particularly not enough protein. When you eat like that at the beginning of the day you aren't giving your body any fuel to make it through the day. I would suggest adding more protein to your breakfast and lunch, and more calories in general. You don't need a ton more, you are a petite person, but your body needs more fuel. I hope this helps ;)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    OK, the carb debate is exactly that -- a BIG debate. There are people who view carbs as the enemy. Problem is, there is little actual, peer reviewed data that back it up. You do want to avoid refined sugars and starches (any sugar not coming directly from a whole food, like fruit and any white starch) as much as possible. Get the majority of your carbs in the form of fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains. Wheat breads & pastas, brown rice, etc are better for you than white! (Although too much of anything can still be bad). I eat lots of carbs and I am still losing weight; I just try to have a decent balance of carbs, protein, and healthy fat.

How long have you been working at this? For those of us close to our goal weight, it is much harder to lose quickly, and you can't expect to see big losses right away. It's even harder when we put ourselves at too big of a deficit. Eat all the calories MFP gives you! Add a boiled egg with the apple for breakfast, crackers (whole grain!) and yogurt to the lunch, and veggies throughout the day. Nuts are a great source of healthy fats as well as protein.
    At the end of the day, ask yourself this: could I be perfectly happy eating like this for the rest of my life? If not, then you need to change things, because if you are eating so little until the weight is gone, it will come right back. That's why I'm at lose 1/2 lb per week and accepting the slow going.

Oh, and don't forget to add in exercise. Cardio for instant calorie burn and weights for increased metabolism (and shapelier look!). And eat back at least 1/2 your calories, too.