Can't get off the sofa :(

Options
Although I really love yoga, ballet, walking, cycling....but I can't seem to make myself go to classes or a short run. I even pay for a term and want to go, I just don't go. I just prefer to watch tv and I don't really know why.

I'm 5'8'', 84kgs and want to lose 10kgs. I eat well, cook everything from scratch, don't eat takeaways or junk food.

Any suggestions to get me off the sofa would be muchly appreciated!

PS this is my first forum post ever :)

Replies

• kindra3434
    kindra3434 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    you just have to keep telling yourself "the more I move, the better I will look and feel, I'm not gonna accomplish anything until I move"
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I've found that if I exercise first thing in the morning, I'm more likely to do it. There is a sense of accomplishment that I've done it; it's out of the way. I should admit that I really don't like exercise. Once I get comfortable on the sofa, it's very difficult for me to get up and get at it. I sit and think about it all day, because I know I need to do it. I have to force myself, but then I'm glad I did.
  • sav22
    sav22 Posts: 6
    Options
    thanks, they're simply but effective words :)
  • sav22
    Options
    you just have to keep telling yourself "the more I move, the better I will look and feel, I'm not gonna accomplish anything until I move"
  • CABA01
    CABA01 Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi,
    you should set a small goal daily. I started with 20 minutes walking or 30 minutes gymnastic a day with a German Fitness Page that has 300 Gymnastic Videos from 6- 60 minutes, from easy to difficult. For shure there exsists also an US Website with online courses. To go to a fitness studio is also not my thing. TheVideos you can do whenever you feel like it.

But fresh air and a walk is also good!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Even without exercise you should be losing weight if you are under your calorie goal. That being said, if you want it bad enough you WILL make yourself get off that couch and go for a walk.

If you don't want to miss those tv shows then buy a stationary bike so you can ride it in front of the tv instead of sitting on couch.
  • silico
    silico Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I had this problem, I found removing obstacles helps. For example, change into exercise clothes when you get in BEFORE you sit down, then its just go out the door to exercise not get changed and all that.
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    For each bit of exercise you do, reward yourself with some TV time. No exercise, no TV. Be generous at first, but slowly make yourself do more exercise for smaller intervals of TV time.

Not only will it get you more active, it will pare down your TV viewing to things you really like! It's amazing how much stuff we watch that we don't really care for all that much, when we let ourselves. :)
  • UhOhItsKylie
    UhOhItsKylie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You're not alone- I found it really hard to make myself get moving in the beginning too.

Most people would reccomend working out first thing in the morning - that way it's done and over with, and you'll go through the rest of the day feeling accomplished. Personally, I work out best in the evenings, but it's also hard some days to get up and do it. A few things that help me are putting on my workout clothes as soon as I get home from work. It just helps me get in the right mindset that I AM going to work out later. Also, if I'm feeling particularly lazy or tired, I'll tell myself, "I'm just going to run for 15 minutes. If I'm still tired, I'll stop." Almost every time I keep going longer. Even if I don't, it's still 15 minutes of exercise I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. :)
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I used to have that issue, I'm not sure but I think everytime I watched TV nothing was happening : I wasn't burning calories, and I saw not any results.
    Was it such a big deal ?
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    simple. Take the TV and put in storage for a month. May seem drastic, but without the hypnotiser in front of you calling you back to the couch with it's alluring siren song, you will find ways to keep yourself from banging your head against the wall in boredom. One of those things includes....Movement.
  • icrant
    icrant Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Although I really love yoga, ballet, walking, cycling....but I can't seem to make myself go to classes or a short run. I even pay for a term and want to go, I just don't go. I just prefer to watch tv and I don't really know why.

I'm 5'8'', 84kgs and want to lose 10kgs. I eat well, cook everything from scratch, don't eat takeaways or junk food.

Any suggestions to get me off the sofa would be muchly appreciated!

PS this is my first forum post ever :)
    Sell the sofa!!! ... :laugh:
  • taylmarie
    taylmarie Posts: 161
    Options
    It can def be hard, I can have a tendency to be a bit of a lazy bones and watch movies, read books etc. But, I notice that if I just get moving right away first thing in the day I tend to be more motivated and active. I wanted to read my book this morning but instead or got right up put my sneakers on and took my son out for a hike. I find that if I sit down and get settled I will prob hang out :( Just got to get up and get going.

I do not allow myself any tv until after dinner for the past year and it makes a big difference. I used to watch lots! Now my hubby and I watch maybe 2 or 3 hours a week. Maybe set a time frame where t.v. is allowed? Seems kind of lame, but it will just help you form new habits.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    There is only one person who can get you off your sofa, and that is you.

If you want to see what dedication can do have a look at this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448&feature=youtu.be
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    how about realizing that you are lucky to be able to get off the sofa.
    you are lucky to have a fully functional body.
    there are people that really can't get off the sofa, or get up at all, etc.
    don't waste what you have!
  • sav22
    Options
    This is the MOST AMAZING video!! THANK YOU!!
    There is only one person who can get you off your sofa, and that is you.

If you want to see what dedication can do have a look at this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448&feature=youtu.be
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Maybe look at gyms that have tv. Mine has about 12 hanging up that you can watch while working out.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I get this a lot too. I give myself a 'treat' after I go for a walk. I sit down, watch tv and lounge around.
    Thats all I think about when I am exercising, that when I'm done I can be lazy again.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I used to have that issue, I'm not sure but I think everytime I watched TV nothing was happening : I wasn't burning calories, and I saw not any results.
    Was it such a big deal ?
    Did you try watching fitness shows?
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have news for you: yes, you can get off the sofa.

:)