disappointed

Options
i had a relatively good week.
i was only about 4 points (weight watchers) over for my whole week.
i exercised 5/7 days, drank more water than i did when i started (4 weeks ago).
i did have a heavy supper, but like i said i was only over 4 points for the week.
i figured being over by a mere 4 points would be the difference between a 2 pound loss and a 1.5 pound loss, or similar,
instead, i gained .8.
i know .8 isn't a huge amount, but i really feel i deserved some kind of a loss.
so i feel a bit down about this.

just looking for some encouragement.

Replies

• santosateos
    santosateos Posts: 49
    Options
    Im here for the same reason more or less, i gained like 5 pounds in one week, it seems like a lot though, and I wasnt over eating
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Ditto. I pulled a muscle this week and wasn't able to exercise (it was in my back) and I gained 6 pounds. This gain is such a bummer and I was going to post for sympathy but decided to post to your thread that...

...Life Happens!

We encounter hurdles that seem to sabatoge our efforts and we have to just learn to deal with them. Deal, accept and look to the upcoming days/week when we know we won't have that hurdle to overcome because the last one is still so fresh in our minds and we DON'T like how it made us feel.

I hope you're feeling okay about the gain and know that you CAN take it off and you WILL ;-)
  • goblynn
    goblynn Posts: 152
    Options
    Don't worry about it. We are going to have ups and downs during the weight loss process. More important than the .8lbs is that you are making better choices and stayed really close to your goal.

This past week I stayed under or close to my calories and gained a pound, things just happen. .. don't sweat it. :)
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Everyone will eventually have a gain on a good week, it happens. Just the same, everyone will get a loss on a week that is not particularly good as well lol. You should not be disappointed with yourself over it, sometimes it just happens. WW is a good program(I'm not currently on it not have I been in about 10 years) but they will give you the tools to make a lifestyle change that you can continue. Which is something a lot of other programs do not. Your workouts are not wasted if you don't see it on the scale, you may see it other places! Like maybe your pants fit a little better, or someone you know tells you how great you look! Those are the victorys that matter most :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    You weight is going to fluctuate. It's not the daily or weekly numbers that matter but the long term trend. Get off the scale for a month, focus on hitting your calorie and exercise goals, then weigh again. When I started at 218, my weight routinely fluctuated a good 5-10 lbs per day depending on how much salt I had, how much water I drank, and how many carbs I ate.

Carbs can make you retain water, but it's not a big deal. The smaller you get, the smaller those fluctuations are. Sadly, women fluctuate a LOT more than men do from our hormonal cycle. It sucks, but just keep focusing on meeting your goals every day.

I think this would help also: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I also had a gain this week and did everything right. I am tring to not let it get me down. I think it is water and hormonal thing KWIM.
  • caytee118
    caytee118 Posts: 55
    Options
    If your drinking more water than your use to sometimes your body holds onto it and if you ate a heavy dinner last night and you haven't had a bowel (is that how you spell it) movement yet than it could be wrong check again next week at the same time okay :D Also don't worry I had a bad week but exercised like I do normally so it shouldn't have made as huge of a difference but the scale says I went from 116.6 to 119, but I'm going to check again tomorrow morning and see if that's right :D Good Luck!
  • norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Don't stress too much.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,247 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not a straight line. It varies sometimes up. Sometimes down. The goal is overall having it go down. To the OP, .8 pounds could be something as simply as water retention. Even to the other person who gained 5 pounds in the week, that would require eating 17500 calories over not your daily calorie goal here, but over your maintenance calories. I highly doubt you ate that much unless you define a good week very differently than most people :-)

In both of your cases I am guessing water retention for one reason or another. I would suggest drink lots of water, and keep going. I would also remind you that weight loss is different than fat loss. You can lose fat and not lose weight for various reasons. That is why measuring yourself is so important. Often measurements will change when the scale is not moving.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    i had a relatively good week.
    i was only about 4 points (weight watchers) over for my whole week.
    i exercised 5/7 days, drank more water than i did when i started (4 weeks ago).
    i did have a heavy supper, but like i said i was only over 4 points for the week.
    i figured being over by a mere 4 points would be the difference between a 2 pound loss and a 1.5 pound loss, or similar,
    instead, i gained .8.
    i know .8 isn't a huge amount, but i really feel i deserved some kind of a loss.
    so i feel a bit down about this.

just looking for some encouragement.

One thing I wanted to point out: You feel like you "deserved" some kind of a loss. I understand what you mean, but I'd like to see you move away from that thinking. This isn't about good and bad, rewards and punishments, and what you "deserve." The universe doesn't owe you a loss, any more than it owes you a gain. Most likely the gain you saw was water weight, or maybe you weighed in at a different time of day and had more food in your stomach weighing you down, or whatever. And even if it happened to be fat, which I doubt, it's still not a make it or break it thing. It's not a punishment for bad behavior. It's just a number on a scale. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't make it more important than it is.

Shake it off, and stick to the plan of getting healthy. :)
  • Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You are doing great. The scale always varies. Sometimes you hold water sometimes you have gained mucsle its smaller than fat but it weighs the same.
  • glynisvarlack
    Options
    Remember that a journey to health is a marathon, not a sprint. We take it one day at a time and concern ourselves with the END result. We simply learn from our mistakes - take what works and do more of it and get rid of what doesn't work. You can do this! Life will throw you a curve from time to time. Sometimes, you have gain when you should have had loss. It can depend on so much more than eating and exercising. Did you sleep well? Enough sleep makes a HUGE difference. Are you under a lot of stress? Stress triggers body mechanisms that make losing weight difficult. Try to relax and enjoy this ride. Don't worry. Things will improve!:smile:
  • lisalv1234
    lisalv1234 Posts: 3
    Options
    Those D*MN hormones!! As women, I think we're more likely to see those unexplainable ups and downs. Don't give up!!! Remember that the true measure of a person is how they react when things are down, not when every thing's going great! I bet that in another week or so of following the rules, you'll see a big drop! Keep goin' girl!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Ditto. I pulled a muscle this week and wasn't able to exercise (it was in my back) and I gained 6 pounds. This gain is such a bummer and I was going to post for sympathy but decided to post to your thread that...

...Life Happens!

We encounter hurdles that seem to sabatoge our efforts and we have to just learn to deal with them. Deal, accept and look to the upcoming days/week when we know we won't have that hurdle to overcome because the last one is still so fresh in our minds and we DON'T like how it made us feel.

I hope you're feeling okay about the gain and know that you CAN take it off and you WILL ;-)

Just an opinion, but if you injured yourself then chances are a good bit of your gain was that injured area, whether from retaining fluid to heal or just because it was swollen/taut/whatever. I do a lot with my upper body and when I weigh with sore muscles I tend to have gained something versus when I go in without sore muscles regardless of how much I've exercised that week.

Especially if the injury was in your back, that can affect so many more areas than that which would mean more sore muscles, more water retention, etc.
  • LorryGuthrie
    LorryGuthrie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You know my routine, hun, and this last week I gained about 5lbs. Of course in the past day or so I have already lost half that. Whenever I mysteriously gain, I just start looking extra hard at my logs and see what's the difference. Sometimes there is no difference and it comes off as quickly as it came on. When I get discouraged, I remind myself of my bigger picture, how it all is coming off gradually, just not in a linear way. More like three steps forward, two back...five steps forward and one back. Overall, I am still moving forward.

**still got my pom poms shakin' for ya girlie!!!!!!!!**
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    WOW!!
    all of your responses are so incredibly supportive and helpful.
    you have all helped me to look past this and focus on having a great week ahead.

i am going to work on changing my mindset from 'deserving' a loss or not 'deserving' a gain.
    i think that advice is so HUGE!
    i never really looked at weight loss any other way before - i've always had the 'deserving' mindset.
    what a wake up call!
    it really is about the long term and making positive changes.
    thanks to every one of you for helping me remember that.
    86282 Posts: 8
    Options
    Did you eat anything with high salt content? That can make you retain water resulted in gaining weight when you had an awesome week.
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i had 2 grill ems - i'm not sure of the content, but i would guess them to be high in sodium.
    i also have been a bit constipated, so i think that is playing a part in this as well.