I'm a binge eater... how do I stop?

Options
I can be amazing at eating well for so long. Weeks of healthy balanced eating.

Then one teenie tiny slip up, like a handfull or doritos at lunch can send me into a downward spiral.

I don't know how to prevent this from happening. I have always struggled with binge eating and I have yet to find a way to stop. Anyone do this? Or have advice for me?

Replies

• cabg6
    cabg6 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Could you plan a day each week when you allow yourself to binge guilt free?
    I am reading some books that say this is good for your weight loss (and your attitude as well).

I'm going to give it a try. I'm trying to cut back on carbs and eat more protein but I have some tapioca pudding in the fridge that's calling my name. I'm going to binge this Saturday. Until then I'm being good and staying on track.
  • turcbbop
    turcbbop Posts: 19
    Options
    this is my biggest problem!! everytime i give myself some binge time i ruin it!! then i have to start all over again!! i have no idea what to do about this! im scared to let myself have a cheat meal!!
  • ktsail
    ktsail Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am a binger, as well. I know that after a binge, I am supposed to get right back on track with the next meal, but that is just about impossible for me to do! I binge and then i'm on an eating tear for a few days.

My suggestion would be to either get rid of the trigger foods or to allow yourself a pre-portioned amount. If you do binge, chalk it up to a mistake and move on. Make a good choice with your next meal.

Of course, I wish I could take my own advice!
  • kb_CG_wife
    kb_CG_wife Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I choose to go out of my comfort zone, mealwise, and then everything goes down the drain. I then notice differences in my attitude, I'm lazier, I have a harder time getting out of bed, workouts are more like a chore than fun. I don't get it, and it sucks
  • kb_CG_wife
    kb_CG_wife Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am a binger, as well. I know that after a binge, I am supposed to get right back on track with the next meal, but that is just about impossible for me to do! I binge and then i'm on an eating tear for a few days.

My suggestion would be to either get rid of the trigger foods or to allow yourself a pre-portioned amount. If you do binge, chalk it up to a mistake and move on. Make a good choice with your next meal.

Of course, I wish I could take my own advice!

I coudn't have said it better myself
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Me me! Same here! I will be on a roll and making progress then bam binge city! There is no such thing as a controlled portion here. If I have one bite of something like chips or sweets I will binge all day! and probably the next day. I have to treat it like a drug and am an addict. Sounds extreme but in my case its true. I guess we have to want to be healthy MORE than we want those foods.
  • bazuukajoe
    bazuukajoe Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have this problem as well. As cabg6 said, I allow myself at least 1 "cheat day" a week where I binge guilt free. Of course the next day I'm up 3 to 5 pounds but this is all water weight. To gain one pound I would have to eat over 6,000 calories for the day (which is a lot even for me) so as long as I stay below that I'm fine.
  • jackiecroberts
    jackiecroberts Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Here are a few things that I have figured out about binge eating,
    1. binge eating makes me feel good for a few minutes and then I feel horrible about myself.
    2. Binge eating gets me further and further away from my goals.
    3. Binge eating usually happens because I did not plan my evening meal and I am "hungry" for crap.
    4. I usually binge because I mistake my sleepiness at night for hunger.
    5. Binge eating is really tough to conquer, I read every book I could get my hands on.
    6. "Think and Grow Thin" was a great book for the emotional standpoint of over eating.
    7. Talk to people when you feel the need to binge.
    8. If you are truly hungry, have a piece of fruit.
    9. You are not a failure because you slipped up, just pick yourself up and keep on going.
  • estrellita19
    Options
    Yeah, I choose to go out of my comfort zone, mealwise, and then everything goes down the drain. I then notice differences in my attitude, I'm lazier, I have a harder time getting out of bed, workouts are more like a chore than fun. I don't get it, and it sucks
    i do that all the time as well but i have also notice if im focused on not binge eating i start craving the sometime foods as well especially with everything going on like work school and kids but what is helpful to me is that i consider exercise time as time to look foward to since its a little me time && what better way than doing something good for me help this helps && that im not rambling on && on lol
  • dajero1
    dajero1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Figure it out...let me know. Stay positive. AND DON'T TAKE THAT FIRST BITE. And if you do take that first bite, quickly put it up and go for a walk. Good Luck
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this constantly. I have certain trigger foods like pretzels, cheetos, cheddar chips that I have to pretty much completely avoid in the house. I can have a few at parties or in front of people, because I don't binge in front of others.

Other foods like sweets, I have to be really cautious about and not eat immediately when I crave them, just promise myself that i can I have some at the end of the day or whenever. Sometimes I still want it and have some, but I'm less likely to binge because I got past the initial mad craving.

I can't say I don't binge sometimes, but I do it far less often and I'm still making progress.
  • CUT3ANDS3XIAN0R3X1
    Options
    I used to be a bigggg binger. Lol. It was a disaster. I didn't necessarily completely stop. I'll just say that I cut over half of my binging episodes out and what you eat when you binge is crutial. One of the foods that curbs my binging is WATERMELON. It is super good for you, 80% water, and fills you up completely! Also, if you get some light yogurt and dip strawberries in it, that will fill you up. These foods are good for you. Find things to do that will keep you busy. Before you eat anything, try to ask yourself three questions: WHY do I need this? Is this healthy for me? and Will I feel TERRIBLE about myself after eating it? If anything negative comes to mind with these questions, FIGHT the urge to binge. Every time you want to binge, brush your teeth, or go outside for a walk or hit the gym. Chugging a glass of water goes a long way too. There's lots of alternatives, but I feel like I'm writing a book. Goodluck!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Could you say a bit more about what you mean by bingeing? It means such different things to different people.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    If you eat this way, you will be too full to binge on anything!

* March 2012 - Began following the Eat To Live 6 week plan. It keeps me satiated all day long with no cravings! :-)
    => 453 grams raw non-starchy veggies (1 lb.)
    => 453 grams cooked non-starchy veggies (1 lb.)
    => 4 fruit
    => 1 cup beans
    =< 1 cup starches
    = 1 oz. nuts/seeds
    = 1 T flaxseed
  • thranowski
    thranowski Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I read in a magazine to ask yourself if what you are about to eat is worth it to you. As in, say you are looking at that cookie that is 120 calories. Think of it as, is this cookie worth 15 minutes of hell on my exercise bike? Is it worth that much time you are going to spend on that bike tonight? I don't think so! Not for one cookie that's going to take two seconds to eat! I've tried it, and it usually works for me.
  • MissC787
    MissC787 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I am not the only one!

I did save my binge this time for my Birthday. (It was the 9th.) Now Mother's Day is tomarrow. I am thinking I will not binge on Mother's Day, and try my best not to. Let's hope I can stick to it.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Take up intermittent fasting.
    Shoot for 16/8 or 20/4.
    Thats 16hours fasted and 8 fed or 20 hours fasted and 4 hours fed.
    Then when you eat you can have larger meals.
    Stay within your calorie goal and you are golden!
  • robinxhope
    robinxhope Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to get back in track since I went on a few trips/vacation through April. Eating out a lot is a trigger for me. Plus I do a day night rotation that makes me tired 4/9 days so my guard is weakened. I really struggle with binge eating. The problem with letting myself have a day here and there is that I can REALLY blow it and then I have a really stressful day at work a few days later and I throw the towel in. I can pack it away and I feel pretty sick. Things like cheese, candy, ice cream and alcohol are my weakness. And I get food bombed at work all the time.

That being said. I've lost weight and kept it off. The following are some of my coping strategies:

Build muscle while reducing fat. A lb of muscle burns something like 3 times as many calories or more in an hour then a lb of fat. Also your metabolism burns hotter after a tough workout. You CAN boost your metabolism.

I don't stock high calorie foods in the house that I enjoy. Like cheese. My husband is really supportive of this thankfully.

Sometimes I pre-chart my meals and I have a food scale.

I watch shows about fitness and weight loss to keep inspiration in my face all the time. I read books about magazines about nutrition, nutrition density, low calorie diets and high energy promoting foods.

I am ever searching for low calorie amazing recipes, food and healthy desserts. Like I recently found a 90 calorie coconut popsicle that is so yummy.

Log it even if you astronomically blow it. It's important to be accountable. And it's humbling to know others see it. Don't hide it.

I'm prepared to battle this the rest of my life.

Anyways, keep up the good fight and I trust with time you will get better at it. Even if there are relapses. Overall you will get stronger. You are young too. One of my biggest regrets this far is spending the second half of my 20's overweight. Friend me if you want support.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Me me! Same here! I will be on a roll and making progress then bam binge city! There is no such thing as a controlled portion here. If I have one bite of something like chips or sweets I will binge all day! and probably the next day. I have to treat it like a drug and am an addict. Sounds extreme but in my case its true. I guess we have to want to be healthy MORE than we want those foods.

This is the problem I have. I think I'll just have a little of 'something' and the next thing I know the kitchen looks like new york after godzilla laid waste to it! I also have little will power to say no to a cake or biscuit or crisps and then its a downward spiral to stuffing my face, not just for a meal but for a day...or two....or three.

Like you i have to treat those 'bad' foods like a drug and i'm an addict too and not have them in the house and try to avoid going to the shops - I don't even have the will power not to buy them!

I know people say everything in moderation, or a little bit of what you fancy does you good, the problem is my brain doesn't recognise moderation or 'little bit' at all. Even when my brain recognises i'm full, I still keep eating because 'its almost the end of the packet'.

I don't know how to make the urges stop - its almost like i'm not in control of myself - not that i'm trying to shift blame and say its not my fault. I know it is.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I can have a few at parties or in front of people, because I don't binge in front of others.

Yep thats me too. I always think people are thinking, 'look at the fat girl putting all that food away', so i tend to go the other way and not eat at all.