My friend recommends I take MSM....

Options
She said it is the new vanity drug and does wonders for nails and hair! It is methylsulfonylmethane. Any ever use it. Any benefits or side effects?

Replies

• suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    MSM is included in the supplements that I take for my joints. Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM. I haven't heard anything about it for hair/nails etc.
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    If you are taking any kind of medication check with your phamacist or dr. just to be sure it wont interact with your meds.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    The company I work for offers a supplement with MSM so I am quite familiar with its benefits. I will provide the information from our data sheet as it explains it best (I am not trying to sell anything, just inform about the benefits of MSM):

"MSM is a biologically-active form of the mineral sulfur. Sulfur is the fourth most plentiful mineral in the body and is found in every cell. Sulfur plays a particularly important role in tissue structure. As a form of sulfur, MSM contributes to healthy joints and adds to the benefits of glucosamine. MSM is naturally present in the body and in protein foods such as meat, fish, poultry, eggs, milk, cheese, nuts, and legumes.

Research has shown that individuals with arthritis are deficient in MSM, and supplementing with MSM can reduce inflammation and repair joints and tissue.

In addition to joint and tissue repair, MSM may benefit in other areas. Over 12,000 patients with the following conditions have responded positively to oral MSM: allergies, arthritis (rheumatoid), acne, cancer (breast, colon), constipation, burns (thermal), brittle or soft nails, diabetes, lupus, and muscle soreness and pain."

If you really want to benefit your hair and nails though...go with an Omega 3 supplement. Way better and proven to work...as well as help with brain health and skin.
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Well, I give it to my horse, and she has beautiful hair and nails :laugh: ... Actually, it is in her joint supplement, and that seems to keep her pretty happy so, who knows? Worth a shot!
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people on a long hair forum I'm a part of take it for mainly hair. I take it for hair. Also the reason I keep taking it is because it helps my joints not to creak so much...I'm 20 but my joints make me sound like I'm 70. lol I haven't noticed if it's made a difference in hair/skin/nails though.
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I take MSM in powdered form daily for my joints and myofascial tissue issues with my legs. I take 1 TBS mixed in my protein drink which is a fairly large dose. Yes . . . my hair and nails grow like crazy!

The only side effect I know of is when taken in large dosages it can cause a laxative effect on your body. This will pass once your body gets used to the dosage.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    As long as you have no shellfish issues its great for joints.
  • PamRow55
    PamRow55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been taking it for at least 10 years now. I believe it does what they say. I know that every time I run out and I don't take it for a while my sciatica nerve pains me. I'm 59 and I believe it has helped to keep the face wrinkles at bay and the daily aches and pains to a miminal.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know it came in an edible form, but my mom and aunts have sworn by the cream/lotion for years to help with rosacea and sensitive skin issues.
  • mindyrosy
    mindyrosy Posts: 38
    Options
    thanks!
  • s41e6
    s41e6 Posts: 15
    Options
    Yes, it's good for your hair/skin/nails/joints. There are also MSM soaps and creams you can buy. I didn't care for any of the creams, but I do like the soap.
  • hyerlevo
    hyerlevo Posts: 16
    Options
    I've been taking it for about 15 years on and off. I started because i had knee problems..couldn't hardly walk without pain. Now I am pain free! I also know it's good for hair nails and skin.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you will need to take it with vitamin c as well since MSM absorbs better with C.

emergenc has a variety with MSM called joint health. i've been taking it regularly for the past 2 months and it really helps get rid of the knee pain i was starting to get from being overweight and running
  • molsoncomo
    molsoncomo Posts: 1
    Options
    took it, noticed nothing. no improved hair or nails or reduced joint inflamation. But that's just me.