exercise isn't the problem, but diet is

Options
Vodkha
Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
I am seriously feeling down today. I tried on some clothes today that I bought late last summer. They still fit even though I have lost almost 35lbs! WTF! I feel like this weight loss is going sooooo slowly, and it is depressing. I have no problems exercising. I am much more active than I was when I weighed 260lbs, but diet is a big problem. I do so well for a long time, and then allow myself to have a treat and that leads to trouble! I know this is a lifestyle change, but maybe I need to allow no treats, nothing! I know I can do this, I have lost about 90lbs before, it's just such a daily struggle. I wish I had a healthy relationship with food!

Replies

• Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am anxious to see what your comments are, I am in the same boat with ya! My workouts are good, but my eating is slacking some, I weigh 221 and currently eat 1800-1900 per my personal trainer...but lately I have been giving into stress eating...my trainer is a no-nonsense kind of person and says well...dont do it.... I do have my things I try not to stress eat but I am under more stress than normal right now and not trying hard enough to stop the stress eating...but I have been better the last 2 weeks and still no better results with the scale.
    My trainer is on Vacation right now, when he gets back I need to pick his brain, but I sure it will be a more cut and dry answer.
  • Tywana
    Tywana Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am with you... I am the same way..Sorry :sad:
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I personally don't allow treats as I know they are my weakness. When I am thinking I really want one I just think of my goal, I go look at myself in the mirror and see how far I've come and I just say no as a result.

Everyone is different for me I know that carbs and sweets are a slippery slope so I just say no!

Don't feel discouraged? Are you doing any exercise to tone? I didn't see a difference in clothes till I started 30DS and started shaping my body while losing.

Keep at it the changes will happen!!!
  • caitlinlws
    caitlinlws Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I am also in the same boat...perhaps we can start some kind of group to support each other?
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    You just have to figure out your priorities. Do you want that treat now, or do you want to be healthy for the rest of your life? I don't believe that you have to cut out all treats all the time -- some people do, but I think most people do all right with moderation. So have a treat today, and eat healthy food the rest of the week. Have a small square of chocolate in the evenings instead of a cupcake with lunch and a sundae after dinner. It's all about cutting back, not cutting out. Or, you don't have to. If you'd rather continue eating the way you're eating, that's a valid choice, but you have to live with the fact that nothing's going to change. If you want things to change, you have to make that change happen. You can't expect different results from doing the same thing you've always done. :)
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. My exercice/food is fine...still no change in size here. Just slightly in certain areas, but still wearing the same size as last year.
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    i burn between 800 and 1800 cals a day... but food??/ I am crap too :( sorry can't help... but I can be your friend and tell you off..if that helps lol x
  • aniamakesitcount
    Options
    I understand your problem because I am struggling with the same thing: I could do my best while working out and stick to it, but when it comes to stick to my diet... Everything is going well until I allow myself to eat a 'bad' thing. My blood glucose level goes up.. and I binge. I know it's a lifestyle change and that it's impossible that I'll always eat 100% healthy, but sometimes I think that it could be the only solution. Moderation is the key, they say. But it's really dificult.
    But maybe you eat too less carbohydrates or fats? Healthy fats like avocados, nuts and seeds, you know what I'm talking about.
    I hope you'll find the solution, I have my fingers crossed for you! :heart:
  • Tywana
    Tywana Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I was 267 in 2004 when pregnant with my third child. I am down to 173 and it has been such a roller coaster. I have been trying to loose 20 more lbs over the last 3 years or more and I can't... I'll be good for a bit and then I'll fall off again, IDK what to do:explode:
  • sdevan45
    sdevan45 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You've lost 34 lbs. Don't beat yourself up because you've already done good. As for slipping, hell,we all do it. Just pick yourself up, shake yourself off, and start all over again. I found it helps to build some slippage into your diet so you don't feel guilty about it. I allow myself some bad stuff several times a week -- I just do it with moderation.

My hat's off to you.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...Have a small square of chocolate in the evenings instead of a cupcake with lunch and a sundae after dinner.

Excellent idea. I don't deny myself treats. I just moderate the amounts and frequency of them. I splurge on the best quality dark chocolate I can find and have a square each night. It's strong and flavorful, so I really don't want more than a taste, but it really takes care of my chocolate needs for the day. :drinker:
  • denisekh88
    denisekh88 Posts: 53
    Options
    I am the same too. I exercise most days twice a day and have only lost 20 pounds in 3 months...it's so frustrating!
  • cowgirlup327
    cowgirlup327 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It can be so hard to completely cut all those treats out of your diet forever, but on the upside, there are so many healthy substitutes that maybe you can find a healthy alternative. If you like potato chips, try making kale chips. Pull the leaves of curly kale away from the stem, cut into chip-size pieces, spritz with olive oil and sprinkle on a little sea salt, then bake until crispy - healthy, salty, crunch snack. If you like chocolate, try carob chips. Air popping corn (or even putting some kernels in a paper lunch bag, folding the top down and microwaving) with cut out so many calories and unhealthy additives that normal microwave popcorn has. Mist the air-popped corn with olive oil and sprinkle on a bit of sea salt. Instead of ice cream, eat a couple spoonfuls of reduced fat or fat free Cool Whip. The serving size of 2 tablespoons of the light Cool Whip only has 20 calories - way better than the 100-200 in a single serving of ice cream! You could even try making your own granita or water ice from blending berries with water and then freezing. If you can pin-point those foods that you crave but will likely set you off track, look for a healthy alternative for when you get the urge for a treat. Maybe to get yourself on track with eating, you could try a week-long juice cleanse or just raw foods, and then re-introduce only the healthy foods into your diet.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I am the same too. I exercise most days twice a day and have only lost 20 pounds in 3 months...it's so frustrating!

That's over a pound a week. That's actually an excellent rate of loss. Slower, steady losses like that are easier to maintain than faster, less healthy losses. Keep it up!