Floating poop

Options
I believe someone posted the other day something about if your poop floats it means you're pooping out fat. Well I looked at my poop this morning and I have to say I got a little excited when I saw some of it floating because I figured I had pooped out some fat. :bigsmile:

Replies

• mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I believe someone posted the other day something about if your poop floats it means you're pooping out fat. Well I looked at my poop this morning and I have to say I got a little excited when I saw some of it floating because I figured I had pooped out some fat. :bigsmile:
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Seriously, lets not talk about that! YUCK!!!!!!!!!
  • diegelmansm
    Options
    It mean that there's fat in your poop yes, but what it really means is you took in too much fat for your body to absorb. Sorry to burst your bubble on that one.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Perfect Poop

A bulky stool that is as soft as toothpaste and floats is the perfect poop. It has many health advantages, and fiber is the key to it all:

soft stools pass through the colon more easily and quickly that those that are hard as rocks

there is less straining therefore less chance of getting diverticulitis (small colon hernias) and decreased risk of hemorrhoids

high fiber diets lower blood cholesterol and fight obesity - keeping thin reduces risk of diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease

fiber contains vitamins and minerals, but has few calories - it fills up the stomach and reduces the hunger reflex

Floaters or Sinkers?

In our western culture, "sinkers" are by far the norm when it comes to poop. Please don't drive yourself to distraction trying to achieve a "floater" every time you have a bowel movement. You'll get ulcers for crying out loud! And you can overdo the fiber in your diet if you add too much, too soon, so increase your dietary fiber slowly.

But, if your poop consistently floats, there's a chance you might have a malabsorption problem - a dysfunction of the GI tract that affects the body's ability to digest and absorb fat. Acute gastrointestinal infections can also result in increased gas content in the intestines, due to rapid movement of stool through the GI tract. Or, possibly cystic fibrosis, celiac disease, biliary atresia, abetalipoprotenimia could be responsible - all of which cause too much fat to end up in the stool, and all of which require medical attention.

So take all things in moderation - including your quest for floaters. Increase your dietary fiber, decrease the fat, and do get an annual physical exam that includes a colon checkup. Then sit back and relax - on the throne!

http://www.ourgardengang.com/bmstools.htm
  • Rachel89
    Rachel89 Posts: 68
    Options
    haha:laugh: you guys are funny! All this poop talk
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Very strange convo:indifferent:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • healthychic
    healthychic Posts: 298
    Options
    ewww all these comments are gonna make me puke!! haha

thats good to know though, i will have to check out my poop next time i visit the bathroom

hahahhah
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Poop actually floats for a number of reasons. People with celiac disease know that if their poop floats it is a bad sign for them generally. Otherwise, it can float because of fiber - good or because of fat - good or bad depending on where the fat came from!!

btw - if this kind of talk grosses you out don't read threads with "poop" in the title :laugh:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Perfect Poop

A bulky stool that is as soft as toothpaste and floats is the perfect poop. It has many health advantages, and fiber is the key to it all:

soft stools pass through the colon more easily and quickly that those that are hard as rocks

there is less straining therefore less chance of getting diverticulitis (small colon hernias) and decreased risk of hemorrhoids

high fiber diets lower blood cholesterol and fight obesity - keeping thin reduces risk of diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease

fiber contains vitamins and minerals, but has few calories - it fills up the stomach and reduces the hunger reflex

Floaters or Sinkers?

In our western culture, "sinkers" are by far the norm when it comes to poop. Please don't drive yourself to distraction trying to achieve a "floater" every time you have a bowel movement. You'll get ulcers for crying out loud! And you can overdo the fiber in your diet if you add too much, too soon, so increase your dietary fiber slowly.

But, if your poop consistently floats, there's a chance you might have a malabsorption problem - a dysfunction of the GI tract that affects the body's ability to digest and absorb fat. Acute gastrointestinal infections can also result in increased gas content in the intestines, due to rapid movement of stool through the GI tract. Or, possibly cystic fibrosis, celiac disease, biliary atresia, abetalipoprotenimia could be responsible - all of which cause too much fat to end up in the stool, and all of which require medical attention.

So take all things in moderation - including your quest for floaters. Increase your dietary fiber, decrease the fat, and do get an annual physical exam that includes a colon checkup. Then sit back and relax - on the throne!

Thanks for the info. Most of the poop sunk. This is the first time I've notice any floaters. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sorry about grossing anybody out.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I remember seeing Dr. Oz on Oprah & he said that it was good to have floaters. From this discussion I can see there might situations where that's not true. Great thread :laugh:
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Perfect Poop

Floaters or Sinkers?

Thanks for the info. Most of the poop sunk. This is the first time I've notice any floaters. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sorry about grossing anybody out.

Very welcome :bigsmile:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    TOO FUNNY:laugh: :laugh: