What SHOULD my goal be?

Options
So, I'm 7.2 lbs away from my goal, and I've been doing a lot of thinking. My husband has been quite supportive through this whole process, and is very proud of what I've done, and I love him for it- but. He mentioned last night that my new body has taken some getting used to (mostly he misses my old butt), though he did say that he would rather miss a few little things and have me in my present healthy (and HAPPY, that's the key) state. Then this morning a coworker who has ALSO been extremely supportive mentioned that I seem smaller every time she sees me, and asked if I was at goal (we're close enough that this wasn't inappropriate). I told her that I'm almost there, and she said she gets the psychological benefit of hitting a number, but that she thinks I look fantastic now. She wasn't being judgmental or trying to talk me out of anything, it was just an honest statement of her opinion. Those two conversations, so close to each other, really got me thinking- do I really NEED to lose that last 7 lbs?

I chose the number 160 because I wanted something in the "healthy" BMI range, and not too close to the top end so I didn't have to worry about accidentally drifting back into overweight. I'd been planning for my maintenance range to be between 155 and 160. But do I really NEED to take off that last bit? My current 167 is in the "healthy" range, my waist is 29 inches, I comfortably fit into a size 8 in any store (a 6 in the ones that vanity size), and I think I look "right" as I stand now. On the other hand I'm so CLOSE to that goal, and it would be a cool psychological victory to hit it. Would changing my goal be giving up? It doesn't feel like it- since that number was arbitrarily chosen it just feels like a reassessment.

So now I'm considering staying in the "weight loss" calorie range until I hit 165, which would probably be in the next couple of weeks. After I hit that number, I could increase my calorie count to the maintenance range for a 155 body weight. I'd continue to work out, focusing more on strength training versus pure cardio, and just see what happens. Ideally, I would just very slowly drift down that last 5ish lbs into that 155-160 window. But if I stayed right at 165, I wouldn't mind that, either.

What do you think, MFP? How did you determine your end goal? Did it change as you saw your body approach it? What does maintenance look like for you?

Replies

• awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I think that you have definately thought enough about these 2 conversations and I think that what you have decided towards the end of you post would be healthy for you to do. Maintain your current lifestyle and stay active and make good choices. If you are comfortable with your body now, why not focus on maintaining what you have worked so hard to accomplish? Good luck in the "new chapter" of your journey.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Jess - I had one of these the other day... some one told me that I looked good enough to stop. But, I'm not healthy enough for my taste. Brad actually said last night that my hips were feeling bony... but it's not going to stop me.

I agree that you should take these conversations into account, but you should still do what you feel is best for you. If you feel healthy and happy, and that you could easily maintain, stop here. If you think your goal will satisfy and you'll still feel healthy, happy, and that you can maintain, then go to your goal.
  • leebaser
    leebaser Posts: 38
    Options
    Great problem to have, says the guy with120 more lbs to lose :). It's always alright to change ones goals. You've hit "healthy BMI" that's a victory no matter how much lower you originally desired.

However, I do caution you on paying much attention to what OTHERS think you should weigh or look like