Is is ok to eat a snack at night?

Options
I've read so many conflicting articles on this, I don't know what to believe. Some say you should eat your calories before 6pm, others say it doesn't matter WHEN you get in all your calories for the day. I tend to drink a protein shake around 8pm, otherwise I get hungry and end up splurging on junk food. The protein shake keeps me from doing that. So is it ok, or not?

Replies

• Kayley
    Kayley Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Perfectly fine in my opinion, especially since it's a protein shake. :smile:
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    dont worry about any of that. Your body doesnt have some magic clock inside saying "oh crap ate past 8, gotta stop burning cals and put on weight" lol. As long as your insides your cal needs or at, then you will be just fine
  • kasebrad
    kasebrad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter when you eat, as long as you're still meeting your daily goals. I snack at night too because I can't sleep on an empty stomach.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Sounds like that's working for you...why question success? If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    If im hungry at 1am, I'm hungry at 1am.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Total myth about gaining weight because you eat too late. The ONLY shred of truth that has to it is that when you eat, you fuel your metabolism, and if you eat too close to bed, your metabolism is up and going, and you MAY not sleep as well. Not getting enough quality sleep can be a contributor to weight gain because it stresses your body. However, everyone's body is different.

That being said, if having your protein shake at 8pm keeps you from mindlessly snacking on junk food, I say keep havin' it so long as you've got the calories left for it!
  • GSCPostBaby
    GSCPostBaby Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I HAVE to eat at night. I eat many small meals so I have to have an after dinner "meal", which is usually a protein shake or and apple and peanut butter and a half ounce of dark chocolate. Yes, I said it, dark chocolate, arrest me.
  • Suziq1023
    Suziq1023 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't go to sleep well if I'm hungry. I save a special 100 calorie splurge for my bedtime snack and it's working for me.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have a 150 calorie ice cream sandwich every night, It hasn't hurt me any.
  • JennBona
    JennBona Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have a nighttime snack every night...just make sure I have the calories for it and try to make it a healthy choice :)
  • LaylaEC
    LaylaEC Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I always have a snack at night....I try not to make it anything too starchy like bread or cereal....I have to otherwise I would be like you and want to eat junk!
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I love to snack! I'd be sad if I didn't get one or two at night...
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I don't listen to the times that others say. I do what my body needs me to do- as should you.

I try not to eat after 7, but if I am hungry, I eat.

I have a tablespoon (or 2) of semi-sweet chocolate chips every evening when I am having my down time (I keep the bag in the freezer). It seems like a small thing, but it keeps me from going crazy... I love chocolate. :)

If that shake helps keep you from being hungry and binge eating then I say keep it up! :)
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I've read so many conflicting articles on this, I don't know what to believe. Some say you should eat your calories before 6pm, others say it doesn't matter WHEN you get in all your calories for the day. I tend to drink a protein shake around 8pm, otherwise I get hungry and end up splurging on junk food. The protein shake keeps me from doing that. So is it ok, or not?

calories can't tell time.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits your calorie intake and macros that you have set pertaining to your goals it's fine.
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I eat one of my biggest meals normally after 10pm it fits within my calorie amount and I have lost weight doing so...

I eat when it fits into my schedule so sometimes I get home at 10 and have to cook dinner so it gets late but I have been fine.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter when you eat, as long as you're still meeting your daily goals. I snack at night too because I can't sleep on an empty stomach.

this
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    About 85% of my daily calories come after 10pm.

Late night eating has only gotten a bad rap at people tend to eat their normal calories in the daytime, AND THEN eat more at night, and blame the weight gain on the late night eating. All it was was that they ate a calorie excess through the entire day.

As long as you allow for the late night calories, it really doesn't matter.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    it's fine