Does anyone have salt cravings....

Options
I haven't been on mfp in a while, but im trying to get back into my regimen......

The problem I have been experiencing is these badddd salt cravings.....can anyone relate or help???
Since I have these cravings I would eat olives or lemon slices with sea salt sprinkle on them. The problem is the salt increases my weight and lemon erodes the enamel on your teeth. so both are bad for me.

Replies

• ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    How's your sleep? I know that when I get too little sleep (as in, for example, the last week and a half of finals) I crave salt intensely. I looked it up and apparently it's common (though I don't recall the reason the study gave for it). Just be aware of it so you don't overdo it.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I have addison's disease (adrenal gland failure) and I crave salt all the time - I eat either pickles, jalepenos, or lemons covered in sea salt. My doctor says it is normal and will not hurt me and that by me drinking 30 glasses of water a day I am flushing out the sodium so your body may be needing the salt if you are working out and drinking a lot of water.
  • BlueStar1989
    BlueStar1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I crave salt too, but I work it in through my food. A little salt is something your body needs. I have some pretzels with peanutbutter or some other salty snack once a day. I watch sodium and potassium so that it balances out over time. Don't feel bad about sodium because your body uses it just don't eat to much. Cravings are the body's way of telling you when you need something.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing with lemons and limes! I thought I was the only one that did that! I sometimes use Morton's lite salt instead of regular salt- it's 50% potassium chloride which helps your body flush out sodium. The taste takes a little getting used to, but it seems like a legit compromise to me.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I crave salt more than sweets, My downfall is ruffles potato chips. I could seriously sit down and eat a whole bag by myself. And ditto on the olives, I love them! That's the ideal snack for me, anything salty, but boy do I retain the water. I pay for it dearly the next day. I had a serving of potato chips last night (oh, ok, so I had 2!!) and today my calves are retaining water bad.
  • greenemoe
    greenemoe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies....I do pay for the salt intake the next day too. I need to make an appt with the MD to follow up on this. I only drink water and herbal tea with no sugar so maybe its not that bad...