Food Poisoning or Intolerance to something?

Options
rebecky27
rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this. It happens to me about 4-5 times a year, usually when I go to chain (sit-down-and-be-served) restaurants, which doesn't happen very often.

About 30mins to an hour after I eat, my stomach starts to rumble and churn and I just know I'm in trouble! It's happened to me after eating at Applebee's, Ponderosa, Friendly's and the bowling alley I used to belong to a league in. I first noticed it after eating red meat, switched to eating only chicken, and it still happens.

Oddly enough, I've never had it happen at a fast food chain, until today. I had the Chicken, Apple, Pecan salad from Wendy's and sure enough..an hour later....rumble, rumble!

I was thinking that it would be crazy to have food poisoning this frequently...so maybe I'm allergic to some type of food preservative? I've tried googling symptoms, but didn't come up with any thing really firm...

Replies

• FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Uhmmm...speaking from the unpleasant experience of having had food poisoning twice in my life...mine went well beyond just stomach rumblings and churnings. Do you ever vomit during these "spells?" I suppose there are all degrees of food poisoning. I'd think it's more likely that there's some type of food/s that don't sit well with you. ?? Just a thought.
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    No, no vomiting. It is similar to the symptoms I had one Thanksgiving holiday, when most of my family was ill after eating a Turkey my grandmother prepared. She had stuffed the turkey the night before and it sat in the fridge..ugh...my symptoms were mild compared to other family members as I didn't have much turkey....
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    This used to happened to me when I would eat sweet potatoes. I went 30 years with no problems with sweet potatoes and then for like 2 year I could not eat them without major rumblings.

I had some sweet potato fries the other day and no problem, but it wasn't very much, so I don't know.
  • jillyjelly
    jillyjelly Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    years ago I found out that i am lactose and tolerant but if i eat a small amount of dairy -I am fine. my suggestion try to find a common ingredient in all the food you eat and if it worsens go to the doctor. my other sign of having this was losing A LOT of weight in 1-2 days and I mean more than usual