Low impact exercise for knees?

Options
kympow
kympow Posts: 145 Member
Does anyone have good exercises that are easy on your knees? One of my knees is bone on bone and I get injections every few weeks (too young for replacement).

I usually walk alot between 10-12,000 steps per day. I need to incorporate new activities.

Thank you for any suggestions ;):flowerforyou:

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Bicycling? Even spin classes might not be too bad for you.
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Physique 57 has a line of dvd work outs that are all low-impact. My Sister-In-Law finally talked me into trying them out since I'm giving up my gym membership soon and want something that will still kick my butt in my living room.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I have crappy knees as well, so I stick to the elliptical for cardio, and once the weather gets warmer I'll start swimming- that is really much easier on your knees and still gives a good workout.
  • Chocolatewoman
    Chocolatewoman Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My left knee has started hurting me so I would like some low impact exercises as well.

I, too, walk a lot and use Leslie Sansone's Five Really Big Miles DVD and that doesn't hurt my knees.
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My legs are two different sizes so I have to be very careful. I am a swimmer. Most nicer/bigger clubs have pools and it is one of the best exercises you can get. I swim laps and it burns a ton.
  • Andybeth
    Andybeth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try water exercise, aerobics if available but just walking in water will really ease your knees and does amazing things for core strength.
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Like you I have knee problems.(Compliments of a drunk driver pushing me knees into the dash). I like swimming & water aerobics, Kayaking, walking my dogs and walking tapes with Leslie Samsone, Zumba Gold with modifying some of the moves.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I walk and do yoga. Yoga has changed the way I feel! I have muscles that I never had before, and I never have the old aches and pains that I used to have. Good luck in your journey:-)
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't have knee problems, but do have hip, ankle, and lower back joint problems. I am looking into DDP Yoga, which is a NO impact form of exercise that helps strengthen, heal, and increase flexibility. A short explanation :

"DDP Yoga is not traditional yoga, it’s a hybrid workout that incorporates some traditional yoga movements and adds dynamic resistance, active breathing techniques and power movements to make for a more challenging and results oriented workout.

The main benefits are body fat loss, lean muscle growth, and improved cardio levels all without placing undue stress on the joints. A valid comparison to yoga is they both provide increased flexibility and core strengthening."

From what I've researched, it can be very intense (but you can adjust it as needed), help to heal injuries and improve limitations. It is NOT yoga per se, but uses the body mechanics of yoga.

For more info, and a truly inspiring story of what can be accomplished, watch this video (it sure helped me to count my blessings :) --

http://www.ddpyoga.com/site/index.php/en/about-ddpyoga

Good luck!
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    The right side of my hip is out of alignment and it causes my knee and ankle on that side to be in more pain. I'm able to run, but if its really bad, the elliptical is nice. The other suggestions that I read before mine sound good as well.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    someone told me of www.exercise.com check it out see if you can find something there. Hope it helps.
  • kympow
    kympow Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the helpful tips. I am definitely gonna to check out some of these ideas... I wish I knew how to swim...but I don't. but think the water aerobics would be great. I have alos looked at recumbent bikes as there is less stress on the knee verses regular bikes.

I am excited to get moving and exercising...
  • MomMel65
    MomMel65 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had a torn meniscus a year ago on my right knee, and my left knee had been acting strangely since I started my gym membership. I was using the elliptical trainer and the treadmill at the gym, until I met with the gym's trainer (I use Planet Fitness), who told me that the ellipticals kill his knees and hips which is why he uses the Arc Trainer. I'd tried that machine once, and could NOT get the hang of it, but he showed me the trick... and that's to move with the hips. The elliptical would leave me with sore calves, sore knees, and a killer left hip pain. Now, I avoid the elliptical like the plague, and work that Arc Trainer for 30 minutes, get an awesome sweat, burning incredible calories, and the kicker is NO PAIN. ANYwhere. It's completely impact resistant, gives an amazing calorie-burning workout, and I don't need to eat a hand-full of Aleve after my workouts!! If your gym has one, try it, but maybe have the trainer show ya how to use it first. I'm sure I looked like a complete idiot the first time I tried i without knowing what I was doing. Best of luck with your knees :wink: