Tonsil and adenoid removal...?

Options
Has anyone ever had their tonsils and/or adenoids out?? Getting the procedure done on the 24th, so I am less than two weeks away and starting to freak out. I was told that in the 2 weeks, on average patients lose anywhere from 10-15 pounds in the two weeks you're put on bed rest. I was told that I can't go near anything like yogurt, ice cream, pudding, mashed potatoes since they all have dairy. I am basically only cleared to have fruit smoothies (with just ice, juice and fruit), snow cones, water ice and jello. I'm a little nervous about this diet plan, especially because I am going to be on antibiotics AND pain meds.

If anyone has any advice on diet, pain control, anything it would be greatly appreciated!! thanks!

Replies

• JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    When I had mine out it was outpatient surgery. I ate pudding and soft things for three days and then went back to my normal life. It's like having a sore throat for a couple of days. You're going to do great!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I've had mine out and so has my son, both of us were back to normal food within a few days. As always, follow doctor's orders, but I think if you feel up to it then do it......drink lots of water and the "coughing exercises" really do help so do them!
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice (sorry) but I am curious... why do you have to have them removed? I have been having this swollen feeling in my throat, right behind my tongue, for a couple of months off and on and my doctor thinks it might be my adenoids. I have to see an ENT. What symptoms did you have that let you know there was a problem?
  • Michelle333
    Michelle333 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had them both out and sinus surgery at the age of 24. I did lose 10lbs and was an out patient. Just had liquids and then started with soft food.
  • ashleygx26
    ashleygx26 Posts: 140
    Options
    @Jen - I have had sinus problems my entire life. Had tubes in my ears when I was a baby, and within the past 5-6 years I get strep anywhere between 6-10 times a year. It's ridiculous. I'm immune to about 5 antibiotics because I am on them all the time, and recently i have developed tonsil stones. They are about as pleasant as they sound. I finally caved to see an ENT and they want them out... I have a feeling they're pretty bad because I know doctors don't like taking tonsils out anymore. Just BE PREPARED when you go for your ENT appointment. They take a "nose scope" with a device that goes through your entire sinus cavity. I wish someone would have warned me. It does not hurt AT ALL. It was just the shock of the procedure.
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    JBsCrazyGirl Posts: 337
    Options
    i had an emergency tonsillectomy which included the adenoids.
    It was different in a sense that had lost 10lbs in only 3days before hand from being dehydrated.
    I did not want anything before, and I REALLY did not want anything after and when I did start trying to eat food.. it had no flavor to me. I also had other things going on though..
    My boyfriend had a planned operation. He was off for a few days but than started eating the recommended foods and started to feel a lot better.

You are not going to want to eat anything else during that time, but trust me, its's one of the best things you can have done!
    Dont be nervous, and dont freak out. its all good. :flowerforyou:
  • cassblue21
    cassblue21 Posts: 207
    Options
    I had mine out a year ago. It was AWFUL! I got sick on the pain meds, so if you feel ill the first day or so cut back on the pain meds puking makes it all worse. Trust me! I did lose 6 lbs in 5 days afterwards. I was eating normal food within a week. But it took close to a month to completely heal. But on a plus side it took away my sweet tooth for a month! Only savory things were good. See if you can have broth or really cooked mushy mac and cheese if you crave it after a couple of days. I am sure things will be fine and you won't have near the issues I did. But I also do not regret getting them out at all! Good luck with everything! :)
  • Cwilbanks12105
    Cwilbanks12105 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I had mine out when I was a kid. Obviously the recovery is different for child vs adult but mine was horrible. I was told I'd get to eat all the ice cream I wanted, but they left out the fact that I wouldn't want to eat anything. And yea I lost about 20lbs.

Just out of curiosity, why can't you have dairy?
  • shady1987dre
    shady1987dre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever had their tonsils and/or adenoids out?? Getting the procedure done on the 24th, so I am less than two weeks away and starting to freak out. I was told that in the 2 weeks, on average patients lose anywhere from 10-15 pounds in the two weeks you're put on bed rest. I was told that I can't go near anything like yogurt, ice cream, pudding, mashed potatoes since they all have dairy. I am basically only cleared to have fruit smoothies (with just ice, juice and fruit), snow cones, water ice and jello. I'm a little nervous about this diet plan, especially because I am going to be on antibiotics AND pain meds.

If anyone has any advice on diet, pain control, anything it would be greatly appreciated!! thanks!

I got my tonsils & uvula removed back in January. im not going to sugar coat it it was HELL. I could not eat ANYTHING cold or soft. But i had to force myself to drink so it would not scab up. Pain meds did nothing. I was supposed to take it every 4- 6 hours i was taking it every 2 hours. But i got through it and lost 20 pounds also. Also i did not poop for about a week and a half exlax became my best friend. It took me over a month to get better and get back to solid food.

But it was wroth it i now breath better and it cured my sleep apnea. Also stay in the hospital overnight. I chose to go home after i got it done. That was a bad idea.
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    The only advice I can give you is just follow the doctor's orders on behalf of your diet, etc. You can't eat solid foods for a few days and only soft/liquid things cause your throat will be sore. Try not to talk too much either (obviously haha). Good luck! I had my tonsils taken out when I was like 8 or something so I don't remember much.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    The Boy had them out when he was four. Best thing ever! He was puny the day of the surgery, but was doing pretty well by the next day. About a week later (on Thanksgiving Day, poor baby) he was a little puny again. I guess the throat had scabbed up and was a bit sore. He has only had strep one time since then. It was this year, so it was the first time in 5 1/2 years. This was also a very potent strain. Even the hubs got it and he's only had it one time in the nearly 14 years we've been together. If the pain meds make you queasy, ask the doctor if you can get some zofran or phenergan. Rest and fluids are very important. It will be worth it.
  • amurph25
    amurph25 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 15 years ago back when I was about 6.... so I'm probably not much help lol. I remember being in pain just after surgery but that's about it.... but then again, this was 15 years ago so my memory is probably sucking right now. I just remember eating lots of freeze pops and apple juice. Although, my parents let me eat things like ice cream and pudding and I healed up just fine! Maybe I had healed up a little before being able to eat them, but honestly, I don't remember. Back then I couldn't be happier about the fact that I got to eat freeze pops and ice cream for breakfast! hehe. :) What about something like scrambled eggs? They're pretty soft and would be fairly easy to swallow. You can also make soup! You can make it beforehand and throw it in the freezer in individual portions so you can just heat it up when you want it.

I wouldn't stress about having a perfect diet while you're healing though. In my personal opinion, it's more important that you heal up than making sure to eat a well balanced diet. So if your doc said smoothies, freeze pops, and jello, enjoy them!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    @Jen - I have had sinus problems my entire life. Had tubes in my ears when I was a baby, and within the past 5-6 years I get strep anywhere between 6-10 times a year. It's ridiculous. I'm immune to about 5 antibiotics because I am on them all the time, and recently i have developed tonsil stones. They are about as pleasant as they sound. I finally caved to see an ENT and they want them out... I have a feeling they're pretty bad because I know doctors don't like taking tonsils out anymore. Just BE PREPARED when you go for your ENT appointment. They take a "nose scope" with a device that goes through your entire sinus cavity. I wish someone would have warned me. It does not hurt AT ALL. It was just the shock of the procedure.
    Interesting...my ENT had me do a CAT scan to see my sinuses. I will have surgery on them in June. It is elective surgery so I have put it off to pray and think about it.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i had my tonsils removed last august and am so happy that i did! my adenoids were removed when i was a child, why they didnt take the tonsils then, will always be a mystery to me.. anyhow.. as an adult, who has dealt with strep on a monthly basis, i can honestly say this surgery is so very worth it but that its not going to be fun, yet the pain killers help and so does sleeping. make sure to take your meds on time, don't wait until you're in pain...

anyhow, i lived off of gatoraid and luke warm apple juice for 4 days, on day 5 i added chicken and rice soup, cream of wheat and sorbets.. on day 7 my doc cleared me for all foods, so i ate what i felt like eating, but it took me a while to be willing to eat anything crispy/crunchy.. i lost 9lbs in a week, but gained it all back during the following weeks. i had to take a month off of working out, which was very hard to do.. ask your doctor before you resume any exercise program you typically do.

my tonsil removal shopping list:
    trashy tabloids
    trashy movies (especially romantic comedies)
    gatoraid, all flavors
    apple juice
    chicken bouillon and/or chix broth
    white rice
    jello
    cream of wheat
    honey

you're going to do fine! since mine were removed i have not had one throat infection.

+your body will let you know what you need, and you will know right away whether or not you are ready for a certain type of food... +
  • ashleygx26
    ashleygx26 Posts: 140
    Options
    I had mine out when I was a kid. Obviously the recovery is different for child vs adult but mine was horrible. I was told I'd get to eat all the ice cream I wanted, but they left out the fact that I wouldn't want to eat anything. And yea I lost about 20lbs.

Just out of curiosity, why can't you have dairy?

Well first off, I am lactose intolerant. haha I normally take lactaid pills, but I don't think they want me taking them with the pain meds. And on top of that, the doctor said that dairy would create mucus in the throat and due to a cyst they're removing he doesn't want me creating excess mucus.
  • txcraftr
    txcraftr Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of bad sore throats all my life with high fevers, etc. When I was 18 they told me I was too old to have them out but they attacked me when I was 29 and I had a sore throat for 3 months so they had to come out. It was no fun. I had lots of stitches in my throat (the dissolving kind) and the first few days all I ate was 3 rocket popsicles. Then I had Turkey Hill Vanilla Bean ice cream and to this day I won't touch that kind of ice cream.. I had problems. The scabs in my throat broke off too early and since I was still infected when they took my tonsils out I got an infection afterwards and had to go get liquid pain med (tylenol.Codeine) and of course more antibiotics, also liquid. I laid low for about a week and then started getting better. I probably lost weight but I did not even care.

I don't get throat infections any more but have had a lot of sinus problems and sinus surgery. Don't worry about the scope they use at the ENT they have you sniff a numbing spray and it does not hurt at all. Once when I had it done I kept feeling like I was gonna sneeze cuz it tickled but never hurts.

I wouldn't want to go throught it again but I am much better now than I was before. Just take it 1 day at a time and rest a lot and drink as much as you can. You will get better soon. You sleep through the hardest part anyways.
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i had mine taken out when i was little i remember eating alot of popsicles what ever you do dont talk before your healed if u try too early it hurts and takes longer to heal
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Wow. I hope you feel better soon! And thanks for the warning! lol
  • Cindygutie
    Cindygutie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had mine out as a 24 year old. make sure to keep the area wet... when it dries out... that's where you get the pain. Keep a lot of applesauce, soft breads and foods around. nothing too hot... send me a message if you need any ideas.
  • chi18
    chi18 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yuck! I had my tonsils out when I was 8, but here is what I remember:
    - I lost 7 pounds during my recovery week after surgery
    - I drank a lot of warm broth, so stock up on broth or bouillon cubes. The warmth felt so soothing on my throat, just be sure it's warm and not hot.
    - I don't know if anyone else experienced this but my tastebuds went haywire for a week or two. Anything with chocolate tasted like pure salt. Again, I was 8 and dreaming of a diet of ice cream so this was really disappointing. So I would say to stock up on a variety of things - sweet and savory, different flavors. Popsicles are nice as well, try buying some of the all fruit ones.
    - I was told not to eat any citrus because the acidity would burn so no orange juice, lemon in your tea, etc.
    - I was still pretty weak for about 2 weeks after that, so take your time and ease back into things.

I also had sinus surgery this past December (so, as an adult this time) and I lost weight because I just didn't have any appetite for about a week afterwards. So I would just make myself have a little cup of soup or eat a bit of pudding a few times a day. I also felt so tired for about a month afterwards. So I'd just say give yourself permission to be tired and remember that general anesthesia takes a lot out of you. Rest and let your body recover. When I got clearance to exercise again I took it slow, I started by just going to the gym a couple of times and walking on the treadmill for as long as I could. If you're tired or feeling weak, stop. Just remember your body has been through a lot and it's OK to take time to allow it to recover and get your strength back.