Your opinions on this article and fat hatred in America

Options
Fit_Mama84
Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
I read this article today and was interested what others thought about it. I think it made some very interesting points. So check it out and let me know what you think.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47388588/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/

Replies

• catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    In my particular circle, being overweight has always been considered healthy and attractive. Only when I get out in the world, so to speak, do I see the whole fat hatred.
    For me, having been ridiculed my whole life for being thin, I can relate in a way to how overweight people feel in the "thin" world. I remember when I was younger my best friend was significantly overweight and I was very underweight and well....you all can imagine the horrid jokes we both were subjected to.
    In our society, anything that sets us apart from the crowd opens it up for ridicule. Even if one is thin and "pretty", if what you're into isn't "accepted", one is made fun of.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    good job Michigan:

i didn't know ANY state had a size non-discrimination law. i like that. weight/height should be included in the employment laws that do not allow jobs to discriminate against disabilities. if your size doesn't prevent you from doing the job, then it shouldn't prevent you from GETTING the job.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    good job Michigan:

i didn't know ANY state had a size non-discrimination law. i like that. weight/height should be included in the employment laws that do not allow jobs to discriminate against disabilities. if your size doesn't prevent you from doing the job, then it shouldn't prevent you from GETTING the job.

Love this! When I'm looking for a job I have to go through so many interviews. Takes me months to get an offer. When I walk into an interview I can see the look on their face and know they are not going to hire me. Thankfully almost 6 years ago I was given a chance and I am one of their best employees and they appreciate me.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    This article does not seem to be well reported. It says:

"One effect of the obesity stigma is that discrimination on the basis of weight is legal. Michigan is the only state that prohibits it, along with a few towns and cities. *** Everywhere else, it is legal to deny people jobs or refuse to rent them an apartment if they are obese.***...."

I'm sure that in other states you can't just deny people employment, etc. because they're obese. You almost certainly have to show a reason (inability to do the job, insurance requirements). I've previously read articles about challenges when people are turned down for an allegedly discriminatory reason. Michigan's new law may make sanctions for discrimination more explicit, but that's not the same thing as anything goes in every other state.

There also is a difference between being fatphobic and thinking that obesity is undesirable for health and other reasons. That article had links which, when hovered over, showed ads proclaiming that active children were more successful.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Most antidiscrimination law in America is based on things you can't or should not be required to change: race, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, religion. Apart from people who are obese because of a genetic disorder, medical treatment, or accident, obesity is not an "immutable characteristic."

So I don't know what to think about this law. Discrimination is bad (obviously), but it may send the unintended message that trying to lose weight and get fit are pointless.

It also raises the issue of what kind of accommodations are appropriate. Is obesity a "disability" that needs to be accommodated by law? Say you're want to be a bus driver, but you don't fit in the standard driver's seat. Should your employer be required install a special seat for you?

Many questions.
  • Greensherbert
    Greensherbert Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think they should just watch this and learn to love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciYk-UwqFKA

People are overweight sometimes for more than just 'being lazy, or over-eating.'
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I'm from Michigan. It still does happen anyway. There's a company on the same floor as my company that doesn't hire obese people and they hire people who's personal views reflect the views of the company, if you know what I mean. A personal anecdote: One guy that worked there was in the elevator with me, waited for the door to open, then called me a fat @ss as he walked out. I ran into him again just a little while ago and he held the door open for me and said, "after you".
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    It's an interesting article.

I'm a little conflicted whether body size discrimination should be considered something protected under state or federal law. I certainly don't think that anyone should be made to feel as though they are a sub-standard person because of their weight, but unlike race or nationality, it is something that is controllable. You could also make the same argument for religion (also a choice), but it is protected. I just don't know where I stand on this one yet.

FWIW, the comments about fat shaming coming from other people who are overweight/obese is true in my experience. Most of the people who made me feel bad about my size were severely overweight or obese themselves. They are also the same people who have been very negative about me losing weight and getting healthier/fitter.
  • jg627
    Options
    I can't say that I've been subject to the obese on obese hate, personally, but then again, I didn't gain my weight until later in life and already became reclusive before I gained the weight for other reasons, which actually contributed to my weight gain, so I just didn't get out much.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Oh please. This is just so much BS PC crap it isn't even a good joke. Gag me with a paddle full of Ben and Jerry's. This was obviously written by some idiot with an agenda. What garbage. Sorry, I am not trying to be rude but I can't belive anyone is actually discussing this seriously.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Just before speaking to Reuters, McAfee had exercised for an hour in her Florida pool and had a salad for lunch.
    "I work out, I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, and I'm still not thin," she said. "So please stop beating the crap out of me: It's completely counterproductive."

I think she needs to start using MFP:bigsmile:
  • Bevigal
    Bevigal Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    FAT HATRED has always been with us but its much more prevalent now that so many people are becoming obese. Employers have always found ways around not hiring us. Life can be cruel...people can be cruel. It sometimes disturbs me that fat people are all labeled to be lazy, nasty, disgusting...no ambition....guess folks think we count cheeseburgers instead of sheep. We have caught the attention of the government...next thing you know we will have to pay higher insurance premiums simply because we are fat.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Quote :

""Patients are afraid of hearing, 'you're fat,' or 'just lose weight,' as if it were that easy," said Teixeira, a nurse practitioner specializing in diabetes. "

Too bad most people in America never listen. They (us) came to the point where we just don't give a damn anymore. I was one of them but luckily I'm working on it. Guess what it took a doctor check up and he told he straight up, "you're still young and about to be in the high blood pressure category, lose weight". It was a sad day but I took his word for it but took me months to even act upon it.

But in my opinion, yes fat is always joked around with. Just go on youtube right now and type "fat kid" and the results will either be a documentary or something hilariously F@#$ up.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Quote :

""Patients are afraid of hearing, 'you're fat,' or 'just lose weight,' as if it were that easy," said Teixeira, a nurse practitioner specializing in diabetes. "

Too bad most people in America never listen. They (us) came to the point where we just don't give a damn anymore. I was one of them but luckily I'm working on it. Guess what it took a doctor check up and he told he straight up, "you're still young and about to be in the high blood pressure category, lose weight". It was a sad day but I took his word for it but took me months to even act upon it.

But in my opinion, yes fat is always joked around with. Just go on youtube right now and type "fat kid" and the results will either be a documentary or something hilariously F@#$ up.

Same thing happened to me. Doc told me my BMI was 34, which comfortably put me into the "obese" category. That was one helluva wakeup call for me. I never want to be obese again. I don't even want to be overweight again once I'm out of there.

I'm glad my doctor was frank and honest about my weight.
  • jg627
    Options
    Look at it from a survival perspective. Say it's the middle of the big ice age and you are a member of a tribe of hunter-gatherers. You notice that Mongo is getting really fat, while you and everyone else are lean and hungry. Mongo better sleep with one eye open.