For long days, when do you work out?

Would you get up earlier or work out after the long day?
For me getting up earlier would probably be 3:30/3:00 am and working out after work directly would be 6:30pm or eat a bit then workout at 7pm. I am away from home for 12-14 hours with the commute. Right now I don't work out because I'm tired most days. I do try to "work out" at work by walking places or going up ladders & stairs, but it's not a cardio, heart-rate up, type work out. And technically we aren't supposed to get are heart rates up during work because of having to worry about heat exhaustion, heat sickness, and heat stroke...

Any advice would be helpful. I know I should try to work out some too and I would like to get some cardio in.

Replies

• tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Personally, I would work out at the end of the day. I just don't have it in me to get out of bed super early to work out. I like my sleep way too much. :)
  • wesellee
    wesellee Posts: 23 Member
    def,after the long day,just take me a preworkout and on to the gym
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    I wake up every day between 3:10-4am anyway, so I always work out first thing in the morning. On the days the gym is open 24hrs I get in about 5am and then head to work after my work out. On the weekends, when the gym doesn't open until 7am I drive out to the Wildlife Preserve which is about ten miles from my house and hike for an hour to two hours and then hit the gym.

Morning workouts work best for me, but I realize that other people are NOT morning people and do better getting their exercise in after work. I believe that the important thing is finding out what works for you and going with that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    If I don't work out in the morning it doesn't happen.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    I work out after work. I usually don't finish my workout until 8:30-9:00 PM. I don't do early. Ever.
  • DAMNCHARLIE
    DAMNCHARLIE Posts: 569
    I have plenty of time, but for those that are busy, health pedaler, stationary bikes, lite weights, things you can keep at home are good to have if you dont feel like leaving the house. You can get in like 20-30 min in.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Most days, I'm not done until 11 PM. I'm just not a morning person.
  • scrappy25
    scrappy25 Posts: 77 Member
    Late... After 10 pm usually. Afterwards, I plan and prep for the next days dinner, pack lunches, tidy the house. After I am no longer actively sweating I take a shower. By that time the adrenaline has worn off and I am ready to sleep well. It's important to stretch really well after a late workout or you can wake up with cramps in your muscles.
  • dmf80
    dmf80 Posts: 60
    Always workout in the AM. It kick starts your body and you get a multiplier effect of calorie burn throughout the day. Working out at night is better than not working out but most people will go right home after the PM workout, eat, then go to bed. Not beneficial to calorie burning.
  • nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    Thanks for the responses everyone! 3am is a little early for me, especially with how I've been sleeping lately - but I'll try to workout tonight and see how it goes. Hopefully it will even help with my inconsistent sleep! :-)