I'm freaking myself out -.-

Options
It might be because I've just started this so I'm not used to these kinds of problems. Yesterday, I was invited to a cookout to celebrate the end of the semester. At the mention of smores, I was sold. This morning, I pushed myself really hard, walking 8 miles in 2 hours, burning around 700 calories. I go, and for the most part I was able to watch myself. There were chicken sausages I could eat instead of hot dogs, and I read the packages on the smores ingredients to know how much I could do.

But there were also things I couldn't count. I had a small amount of pasta with pesto, potato salad that was more like a curry rubbed potatoes than the traditional mayo base, and a rice krispie treat. I've counted what I can, and even when I played the numbers in my head, I stopped by the park on the way home and did another 2 miles of walking.

The thing that gets me is that I have no idea on accuracy. I've heard complaints about the exercise calculations here, but when I try other sites they give me higher numbers. On the scale, I'm 3 pounds more than this morning, but in the morning it was first thing when I got up when I'm "emptiest", and I've had A LOT of water today; way more than 8 cups. And the chicken sausage I had was high in sodium so it could just be water retention, right? I keep telling myself these things but I'm still really anxious over it. I have no idea if you can gain a lot of weight in one day.

I guess I need reassurance, or cold, hard reality XD I just don't want to have this spinning in my head by myself. Did I do the right thing to exercise a lot so I can treat myself to a cookout? Or should I have just not eaten what I wanted? My legs are screaming I did the right thing and my scale is saying otherwise.

Replies

• Josephina57
    Josephina57 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It is not possible to gain 3 pounds in one day. Relax, and stay off the scale for a week. You'll be fine.
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I was lost after the second sentence, huh? I have a headache, getting some tylenol, LOL
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    It's water retention. Nothing else. Unless you ate 10,000 calories yesterday.

If you can't handle normal daily fluctuations then you need to stop weighing daily. It will only discourage you.
  • cpettigrew
    cpettigrew Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day. Don't sweat what has already been.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    . On the scale, I'm 3 pounds more than this morning, but in the morning it was first thing when I got up when I'm "emptiest", and I've had A LOT of water today; way more than 8 cups. And the chicken sausage I had was high in sodium so it could just be water retention, right? I keep telling myself these things but I'm still really anxious over it. I have no idea if you can gain a lot of weight in one day.

I guess I need reassurance, or cold, hard reality XD I just don't want to have this spinning in my head by myself. Did I do the right thing to exercise a lot so I can treat myself to a cookout? Or should I have just not eaten what I wanted? My legs are screaming I did the right thing and my scale is saying otherwise.
    Your body retains water when you work your muscles hard...give yourself a day or two and then try the scale again,,,your legs are right...your muscles are just swollen with disbelief at the torture you put them through!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Unless you eat everything out of a box, which would be horrible for you, there are going to be times when you won't be 100% accurate w/your calories. Do your best and don't sweat it. I just look for the closest thing I can find in the tracker and move on with life.

And some days the scale is just a lying jerk. Don't worry about it! Yesterday was my weigh in day and I was up a pound. Today I'm 2 pounds down from yesterday. The scale is crazy sometimes.

Sounds like you did just fine yesterday! You ate some delicious food, probably had a lot of fun, and got a good work out.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    On the days where you can't be 100% accurate, close is close enough. I never weigh myself a day after I've splurged. I know I'll always weigh more because of water retention, etc. Try to limit yourself to weighing in only once a week anyway.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    One pound of fat is approximately 3500 calories. Unless you ate an excess of 10,000 cals (that's in addition to your regular allowance, whatever that is), it's not mathmatically possible to gain that weight in a bad way in a day. Chalk it up to extra water.
  • fancycupcake
    fancycupcake Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself daily! It's okay to have a day like that every now and again, especially if you do your best to record calories and work out a bit. if you're that worried, go a bit lighter the next day or two. Weigh yourself once a week (I like weigh-in Wednesday!) and make sure you have a deficit of around 3,500 PER WEEK...don't worry so much about day to day if you have one bad day here or there! Sounds like you did your absolute best (and then some, considering that second walk!)....It's the habits that matter!
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I was lost after the second sentence, huh? I have a headache, getting some tylenol, LOL
    Omg, lol, that reply was funny!
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot. I think you're right about weighing myself. Our scale is brand new, but the only room we can keep it where my nephew won't break it is my bedroom. It's staring at me all the time and I end up stepping on it our of curiosity. I think I'll find a blanket or something to cover it with so I don't have to look at it all the time. Thanks for the support.