coffee withaw

Options
I have had a few people tell me caffene is bad for you and cutting it out helps with weight loss. My question is does anyone have suggestions as to what to drink instead, I am having bad headaches with out it. I found myself driving to Tim Hortons at 10 pm just to get rid of a headache I ha for hours. I already drink lots of water an really prefer warm drinks. Any suggestions please.

Replies

• wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options
    Stop asking random people for advice, and stop listening to random people's advice. They are always misinformed.

Caffeine is fine. You are probably like a lot of us who drink a ton of coffee/diet cola every day and our bodies are adapted to daily caffeine intake, so whatever problems they were talking about -- probably some type of cortisol-related issue -- is mostly irrelevant.
  • tarnbop
    tarnbop Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Also, if you did make the choice to cut it out, then cold turkey may not be the way to go....
    If you're worried about content; don't be. Coffee has next to nothing calories and fat. Just be careful of any milk/cream/sugar you add in, but at least you get your caffeine hit even with just black coffee!
  • sarahmy3
    sarahmy3 Posts: 9
    Options
    You go girl. If you want to do your body a hydration favour then go the caffeine reduction and be happy that your body will soon function without headaches from caffeine withdrawal. The headaches are screaming ouch - addicted to caffeine. A few days and they will pass.

it is your choice though. maybe reduce rather than stop - but well done for having a go!!
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I have had a few people tell me caffene is bad for you and cutting it out helps with weight loss. My question is does anyone have suggestions as to what to drink instead, I am having bad headaches with out it. I found myself driving to Tim Hortons at 10 pm just to get rid of a headache I ha for hours. I already drink lots of water an really prefer warm drinks. Any suggestions please.

If you want to cut it out, I'd say tea. Caffeine isn't really bad for weight loss, though. It can make you retain slightly more water, but it gives a slight boost to the metabolism. If you enjoy the coffee, there isn't a reason to cut it unless you have high blood pressure.
  • angelmeanttofly
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I think maybe I'll try to go down to one or two a day and drink it black. I just had a friend say herbal teas as well.
  • ladypenelopemk2
    Options
    I was advised to cut down on my caffine intake so i start the day with a few regular mugs then move onto decaf
  • scorpiomfs
    scorpiomfs Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Im not giving up my coffee. Its a part of my life that im not changing. I log it count the calories and go on the rest of the day. Diffrence is like someone said : what you put in it. I found some flavors that are zero calorie. cafe elfresco. I got vanilla and hazelnut. Im willing to expend 100 calories for a good hot cup of coffee.. In the end its up to you and what:drinker: works for you.. Its your journey.:drinker:
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with a moderate amount of coffee, it only gets bad when you add fat and sugar to it.
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I gave up caffeine in January and feel great and won't be going back. Instead I drink Rooibos (Redbush) tea: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooibos

You can have it with milk/sugar, or plain. I have it with a slice of lemon. No caffeine and a nice hot drink to have throughout the day.

When I fancy a latte I have decaf.
  • Wizardress
    Wizardress Posts: 1
    Options
    I haven't read the other comments, but I do believe that coffee gets a bad wrap- Like anything- doing it all day every day is not a good thing, but 2-4 cups a day are not bad.. (of course it goes without saying that you should watch what you're putting in your coffee because it can add up calories quickly) I've seen Dr. Oz and other doctors talking about how a little is actually good for you- and based on my own personal experience I can attest that it definitely helps boost my morning work outs. (Which has also been cited by trainers and doctors)

I drink usually 2 cups a day- 3 max and also green tea, iced with no sugar in the summer- plus water.. that's it..

I say go with what works for your body and how you feel- and while obviously having Caramel Macchiao from Starbucks every day can be a calorie derailer- having a cup with a little fat-free milk, sugar free syrups (I drink mine with fat-free milk only- no sweetners/ artificial or other) etc I don't believe is a bad thing.
  • ahawks98
    ahawks98 Posts: 19
    Options
    I've been drinking coffee since I can remember and I don't think is that bad for you. If you do decide to cut down on your intake I would start mixing it up with decaf 50/50 so that you don't get the bad headaches. What to drink instead? Green and white tea are suposed to be good for you. Also, you can't beat just plain, good, old water--your system will thank you and it actually helps you losing weight. Hope this helps....
  • naiils
    naiils Posts: 20
    Options
    Due to health reasons I was forced to give up my beloved coffee. (8-10 cups per day). I started with a 50/50 mix of my favourite brand with the decaf version- effectively cutting my caffeine consumption by half. After a week it was easy to just drink 100% decaf. I started sleeping better but my energy levels plummeted. 4wks on & my body is adjusting to functioning without caffeine.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Caffeine extends life. Caffeine expands consciousness. Caffeine is vital for space travel.