Calories burnt at work should these be counted

Options
As part of my working day I can walk on the lowest 8000 steps and and my busiest has been 24000 steps..... should I calculate these as burnt calories or just the over and above calories e.g. gym, swimming etc

Replies

• Byn73
    Byn73 Posts: 20
    Options
    24000 steps..... that is fantastic! How do you do it? I struggle to get to my 10000.

I would count all calories burnt. Energy used, is energy used, whether you are at work or the gym.
    :)
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    No, if you're paid for the calories burnt that automatically negates them.
    Seriously though, it depends on if you figured your work into your lifestyle (sedentary, active, etc). If you've set yourself as active then I think the calories from work are already kind of factored in.
  • ProjectTina
    ProjectTina Posts: 85
    Options
    I would change the daily activities in my fitness profile to say active rather than add the calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided
  • majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I would recommend setting your activity level (under Goals) to one of the following settings. That would take into account your normal daily activity and give you a few more calories to work with. Then you can add the extra workouts (unless, again, you've already figured those in under your goals setup). It doesn't do you any good to double-count your calories burned..your body is keeping a true count. ;-)

Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. nurse, salesman)

Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)

HTH!
  • mangojh2
    mangojh2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    According to my Doctor, the answer is no. she claims that a postal worker who walks 10 miles per day looses the benefit of that after a while because the body gets used to it and just expects it.

Her whole pointe in explaining this was of course that I need to vary my own workouts or my body will just expect them.
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    I still document the calories I burn from going for a 10 min walk down the road. Every calorie burned counts!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Since I went back to work I noticed that I can eat more without gaining (I'm currently in maintenance) so I upped my activity level to lightly active. I wouldn't try to calculate how many calories I burn every day at work-- it's too complicated/inaccurate and it changes from day to day. Changing my lifestyle setting was the best thing for me.
  • LFiestan
    LFiestan Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have a deskjob, but there are times (not too often) when im required to go to other departments or buildings which are a bit far from ours so i add that as calories burned.
  • medlicott68
    medlicott68 Posts: 35
    Options
    I also spend most of my work day walking, but don't add that as calories burnt, I factored it into my daily activity level (set to active), so it's already taken into account. If I take a few days off, I change my activity level in my settings.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    As part of my working day I can walk on the lowest 8000 steps and and my busiest has been 24000 steps..... should I calculate these as burnt calories or just the over and above calories e.g. gym, swimming etc

Might be an idea to change your activity goal to more active

Classification of pedometer-determined physical activity in healthy adults:
    1) Under 5000 steps/day may be used as a "sedentary lifestyle index"
    2) 5,000-7,499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered "low active."
    3) 7,500-9,999 likely includes some exercise or walking (and/or a job that requires more walking) and might be considered "somewhat active."
    4) 10,000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as "active".
    5) Individuals who take more than 12,500 steps/day are likely to be classified as "highly active".
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    According to my Doctor, the answer is no. she claims that a postal worker who walks 10 miles per day looses the benefit of that after a while because the body gets used to it and just expects it.

Her whole pointe in explaining this was of course that I need to vary my own workouts or my body will just expect them.

I dont see how this could be true. because it isnt. The postal worker's body will continue to receive benefit from the 10 mile walk every day. The total benefit will become less as the body becomes accustomed to the walking but not all benefit is lost. Those calories are still being burned (to a lesser degree sure) and the muscles still being used.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

No offense but you need to find a new Doctor.

There is a reason why you get a higher calorie goal if you work in a more physically active job. Your body doesn't just stop burning calories because it gets 'used' to it. What a load of crock, lol.
  • Jacsalex
    Jacsalex Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your replies, I have factored myself as active and sort of thought that as i was walking this daily I am only recording exercise over and above, but if I have an odd day of office work I really watch my food intake,
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

A postal worker who is walking 10 miles per day is still burning a lot of calories. There may no longer be a fitness benefit, because the body has adapted to that level of effort, but the body doesn't stop burning calories during the activity. What happens over time most often is that we adapt our overall lifestyle to bring daily energy expenditure into balance. Trust me, if that postal worker retires and maintains the same calorie intake, the extra pounds will pile on quickly.

You need to vary your training stimulus (not necessarily the workout activity) in order to continue making fitness progress. Without variety, the calories burned will stay roughly the same, but fitness improvement will plateau.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I would change the daily activities in my fitness profile to say active rather than add the calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

^^this^^