strength training calories

Options
I just joined the site and hope to loose 20 pounds. I am very active and include strength training. Are there calorie credits for my lifting workouts? I don't usually see a change when I enter my data. Thanks

Replies

• Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Have to make an additional "cardiovascular" entry to get back calories.

Good luck!
  • glenn2u
    glenn2u Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Is there a source for the caloric burn rates for different strength exercises? I lift twice a week and have no idea about burn rates. My goal is to loose inches not so concerned with weight because I am building muscle.
  • osutuba
    osutuba Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It varies depending on fitness and heavy vs light weights I think. I've seen people use heart rate monitors to measure their burn while lifting weights.
  • talamer
    talamer Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    calories burned in strength training is varies from one exercise to other. In addition, it is different from one person to the other, it is better to have HRM to assist u count the calories burned during exercising, in somehow ppl said it is in accurate! but it ill show u approx. calories burned during ur training :)

Hopefully this helps u..

Good luck
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough I just left the gym after my morning strength training. I move immediately from one machine or exercise to the next working different muscle groups - this creates a cardio workout as well as lifting. My research has led me to beleive that I can cound this as a 5 MET exercise so my 55 minutes of training works out to approx. 526 calories.
  • bstall1976
    bstall1976 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    According to my bodymedia fit i usually burn between 350-400 cals during my hour long workouts. I do a full body workout now with squats, bench, rows, deads, overhead presses, barbell curls, and calf raises. When i was doing a 3 day split chest/tri, back/bi, shoulder/legs i was burning about the same as the full body. I am 5-10 and 250 lbs right now. Hope this gives you some insight into how much you burn. I usually rest 30 seconds after the warm up set and 1-1.5 minutes between working sets. I walk around during my rest time unless it is the squat or calf.
  • seraphinaglitter
    seraphinaglitter Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use calorieperhour.com - when I've compared it to the (digital, so counts calories) equipment I use, rather than my standard equipment, it's generally correct so I trust it as a good estimate.
  • glenn2u
    glenn2u Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks. I usually do lifting for 30-40 minutes and then finish something cardio. I play golf a couple of times a week so I have to watch which days I lift so I am not trying to recover and swing at the same time. I think 300-400 calories/hour is a good guesss for my burn rate while lifting. Glenn