Feel like crying

Options
I have doing this for 12 days now. Joined gym May 1, no fast food. No delivery. Was very proud of myself. Working out 5x a week.

I had only one cheat meal when my cousin came to town this weekend.

I weigh myself after these 12 days and I haven't lost anything. I am so unhappy. I feel like its gonna take years to lose 30lbs. I asked for feedback from everyone, they said my diary looks fine. I thought that I was able to eat a cheat meal once and a while and still lose weight.

I really hate my body. and how it works. I feel like I have been forcing myself to eat Greek yogurt for nothing.

Replies

• westdove
    westdove Posts: 174
    Options
    Nutrition is more important than exercise. Hopefully you have your food diary open to your friends on your list, they may be able to see a pattern. If the changes you made didnt work, try something else. Bad food doesnt just come in the form of "delivery". Hang in there!
  • Dozrzz
    Dozrzz Posts: 245
    Options
    I was struggling with something similar the last couple days as well. I have always been able to diet and lose a little weight but it always comes right back. This time around I finally decided I needed to exercise to lose weight and keep it off. So I join a gym, get a personal trainer, everything. After a week of working out 4-5 days a week I actually GAINED 2 pounds! I was so upset!!! Here I was doing things the "right" way and I still gained weight.

But after talking to some friends on here I started to realize the number on the scale means very little as far as how helthy I am. Starting to work out regularly is still the best thing I could have done for my health. Eating healthy is great for my body regardless of whether it shows on the scale right away. Stick with it because you KNOW that it is making a difference in your health even if the numbers don't show it yet. And eventual the numbers will start to drop the way they are supposed to. Keep going! You can do it!!!

:happy:
  • 20diane
    20diane Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Get to know your body, I know that I very rarely loose weight for the first 3 weeks, but once it starts going it keeps on going, very slowly, but i get there. chin up
  • SanDFit
    SanDFit Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hey, don't lose hope. When I first joined the gym I actually put on weight. People told me it was cause my muscles were retaining water. But after a couple of weeks the pounds did come off. Just have a little patience and if you continue working towards losing weight I'm sure you will. Besides you're lucky you did'nt put on any weight like I did.
  • Shajadea
    Shajadea Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Easier said then done, don't look at the scale. Do your clothes fit any different? Do you feel healthier, more energy or more fit? I think most of us have had moments like this. We work so hard and think if we do certain things then we will get specific rewards. It's frustrating but don't give up- that won't help either.
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Starting to work out regularly is still the best thing I could have done for my health. Eating healthy is great for my body regardless of whether it shows on the scale right away.

:happy:

I love this. Need to remember...
  • kb_CG_wife
    kb_CG_wife Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. I very rarely ever lose weight, even when I eat perfectly. I'm not saying that great abs don't start in the kitchen! What may be happening is weight loss isn't being seen because your gym membership is causing you to gain muscle. It's hard to accept the number on the scale not budging... take measurements and these numbers will please you. You might see the measurement numbers decrease but the number on the scale increase. You WANT this! It means your body is getting more fit and much stronger.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    It's not going to drop off over night. It took me 3 months to lose 17 of my pounds. To do this right, you have to be patient. It's a lifestyle here, not a crash diet. I hope you took your measurements to start, because you'll find (if you doing things right - meaning don't leave a bazillion calories on the books everyday thinking that's going to make the weight come off faster) if you're not losing weight sometimes you've still lost inches. Chin up and keep going - you'll see results - give it more time. Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • breakthecycle
    breakthecycle Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are having to go through this. It truly happens to a lot of people and has happened to me many times also. I've hit plateaus that lasted for over a month and during that month I was eating exactly what I was suppose to and going to the gym 5x a week. Our bodies are very strange and the scale is not always a good guide for our hard work at times. I keep a pair of pants that do not fit at the top of my closet and try them on every few weeks because normally when the scale is being an *kitten* the pants show me progress. Keep pushing forward the results WILL come!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    It is also very important to take measurements. Even though the scale may not change, your body will be changing and you may be losing inches instead of pounds. :) There are some before and afters on here that show the scale isn't much different, but the pictures are amazing at the difference.
  • jcomley1
    jcomley1 Posts: 133
    Options
    Hey hun,
    I feel your pain. We have all been in your exact position. In fact this morning, as I planned my gym session, I thought, "Whats the freaking point!! I am working so hard but not seeing any more changes!!"
    But I needed to remind myself that weightloss and muscle building isnt easy. Dont have unrealistic expectations of your body
    12 Days is not a long time at all.
    Focus on all the good eating health is doing for you, not just outwardly, but also inwardly. It takes 21 days to "retrain" your tastebuds and your body. Until that point your body will still crave the unclean food it knows. As time progresses eating healthy food will become a pleasure and you will hate the unhealthy food you used to love.
    Losing weight isnt easy, otherwise everyone would be thin. They say it still takes 4 weeks to even notice a difference in yourself! and 8 weeks for family!
    Have patience. If you persevere and show commitment the weight WILL come off. it has too!!!!!! giving up and binging on junk food will not make you feel any better. So just stick with it!!!! Dont over analyse it and let your body adjust to your new lifestyle.

Good luck!
  • emmamcblain
    emmamcblain Posts: 342
    Options
    You really need to cut yourself some slack. 12 days isn't really anything. You didn't gain the weight overnight and you won't lose it overnight either. Just keep on doing what you're doing. Don't cut things out, just moderate them. Get a regular, DOABLE exercise routine in everyday, or most days, and build a higher intensity as you go along. And I recommend not using the scale and taking measurements instead, as weight fluctuates huge amounts, whereas measurements you can get an accurate reading despite things such as water weight, any swelling, "time of the month" and so on. Also, losing inches is MUCH more satisfying than losing pounds, so give it a go. Drink plenty of water and keep an eye on things like your sodium and fat levels. If you have to use the scale, I suggest using it monthly - on the same date/day and the same time, i.e. either before or after you workout and eat.

Nobody has the same body, so it's all about finding something that works for you. Good luck. :)
  • betsy329
    betsy329 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am kinda in the same boat. I have been at this for 6 weeks now, lost 8lbs at the end of week 4 and haven't lost again since. I've been working out 6 days a week and keeping the calories under 1200. HOWEVER, I am also taking measurements, and am loosing slowly but surely. I am thinking that it could be a combination of water weight and muscle gain. I believe that the scale will eventually move, but right now your body adapting to the new changes. Even if the scale isn't moving, you are doing better than not doing anything at all. It will happen, just not within a couple weeks.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    12 days is no time at all. Ignore the scale - do your clothes fit differently? Are you feeling better about yourself and your lifestyle? Do you have increased energy? Do you understand your cycle and the impact that has on your weight? Are you drinking enough water?

Check the forums and you'll see trillions of reasons you shouldn't rely on the scale alone.

And if you give up now, after only 12 days, you'll be disappointing yourself. I'm going to give you some tough love here. Pull yourself up by the bootstraps and get on with it. You didn't put the weight on overnight, and it won't come off overnight.

There are so many of us on here who have struggled through plateau's, grief, ****ty days at work, injury, illness (the list goes on) but we keep going because our goal is better health. Is that your goal?

Best of luck.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Look, I know it sucks. I started strength training last month and PUT ON 3 pounds. I was eating below my maintenance calories by 300-ish and working out regularly. I very seriously considered smashing my scale with a hammer. Luckily, I had taken measurements and found that I lost 1 inch in my waist and .5 inch in my hips. I freaking hate being patient. Sometimes, it pays off though. My clothes are fitting better and I am so much stronger. Unfortunately, no one here can make you keep working out. You've got to do that for yourself. Just try to remember that this is about the bigger picture, not one week or one month or one workout. Not even one little treat day.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up!!!! You are definetly on the right track. Are you compensating for your exercise in your daily food intake. I find if I don't eat more on the days I exercise I acutally end up stagnant or gaining weight.

Also, it sounds silly but make sure you are drinking plenty of water. That is how your body flushes out the fat you lose. I have the bad habit of not watching how much salt i cinsume and I find that if I keep my water intake up I don't retain as much water. I know that sounds backwards, but I swear my body hoards water if I don't drink enough during the day.
  • LFiestan
    LFiestan Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    sometimes its not about the scale. try to check your clothes if they are lose, or notice if you are gettting stronger and more fit. Our body adjusts so in 12 days you really dont get to see alot of changes physically. Also if youve been doing strength trainings then those are probably muscles gained. There can be lots of reasons why your scale isnt moving down but look on the bright side and be more patient, you will see physical results sometimes in 1 month even if the scale doesnt go down.
  • marcoscu
    marcoscu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, you will get there. It does seem depressing when you work hard and don't see any results but it will work in the end. You have lots of friends here, friends that you don't yet know, that have been through the same struggle. You can do it.
  • retunks
    retunks Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Stay patient, once the weight starts to come off, you will be amazed. Don't get discouraged, stay positive. Other comments are right, it's a number on a scale, there are other benefits to what you are doing.