When is a calorie more than a calorie?

Options
furby1
furby1 Posts: 114 Member
I've been on MFP fo 5 weeks now. I lost 5lb the first week, half pound the second, 1lb the 3rd and one and a half pounds the 4th giving me a total of 8lb loss over 4 weeks which i'm happy with. I am on 1200 calories a day , weigh now 222lb and am 5ft 1in.

I have numerous health issues and so am unable to do much although i am not as yet in a wheelchair. It does mean though that I normally only go out once a week food shopping and one evening a week to watch my friends play skittles (I drink diet coke on these nights). I don't smoke or drink and I rarely have a sweet tooth. Unfortunately it also means that i am not able to do much exercise although I have been trying to spend short periods of time ( 5-10 mins max) on the wii playing tennis. I am also not able to use weights. So the only way for me to loose weight is by watching my calories.

This week I stayed the same weight ( but i didn't gain thank goodness!). I've looked at the food i've eaten over the last 5 weeks and the main difference this week was that my sweet tooth did strike and I allowed myself to have almost 300 cals of sugar food each day (lemon and lime pie...delicious!!!!) I still kept to my 1200 cals though. I don't eat very healthy as I usually have microwave meals for my main meal as I am usually unable to cook ( due to pain etc). They are normally around the 500 calorie range and I was actually very surprised to find that while they do have a large salt content, I am still very much under my daily allowed amount.

So am I at a plateau or are sugar calories more prone to stay around than carbs and protein!!!!.....LOL Any ideas would be helpful.

Replies

• deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie =] good job on the loss!

It is better to give your body proper nutrients in those 300 calories. One in awhile eating a cupcake or something won't kill you.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of different arguments over weather a calorie is a calorie.

I don't believe that all calories are the same. Our bodies do different things with different calories so how could they be the same?

Do you really think that a 150 calorie ding dong, is the same as eating 150 calories of fresh veggies?

I generally don't eat anything that I can't pronounce the ingredients for.

I do have "cheat" meals every here and there.
  • natashamcn
    natashamcn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you have only plateau'd for one week I wouldn't worry about it. Depending on how much you are exercising/ your sodium intake it could be water retention etc. Have you done measurements? If so, how did they look for the week? If not you should take some now for future comparison. You would be surprised at how you can lose inches some weeks without losing weight on the scale. Good luck :)
  • PShep17
    PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I think it's maybe more to do with what else is in what you're eating. A calorie is a calorie, no changing it. But its better to have 100 cal of veg/fruit, than 100 cal of chocolate etc because with chocolate your fat intake and sugar is increasing too.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    What type of calories you eat does make a difference, in my opinion. You can eat 1200 cals of junk, or 1200 cals of healthy whole food.....they're both 1200 cals. But the body will process and utilize the healthy food much better, more vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, etc. a calorie is not just a calorie, it's not just about the math.

I see people on here with all different eating plans with different goals. Sure, people can lose weight while eating junk. But I don't want to just lose weight, I want to also develop a healthier stronger body which means making the best food choices I can.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it is harder for humans to digest raw food than cooked (which is why female raw food adherents usually stop menstruating). In that case, maybe it would help to increase the amount of raw fruit and vegetables in your diet. Keep some carrot sticks around, Persian cucumbers, etc., and you don't need to worry about cooking plus you get your calories to go farther to keep you full and healthy.
  • furby1
    Options
    Thanks, I really appreciate the messages. I did think to measure myself in the second week after reading peoples topics on here. I also decided to only measure myself every 4 weeks and have just done that.
    I'm happy to say that I have lost 3 inches from my waist and 1 inch from my hips. ...the inch lost from the waist is probably down to my trying to spend 15 mins every day on pilates warm up exercises. I only know them, but at least its some form of exercise..again many thanks :)
  • narick
    narick Posts: 23
    Options
    I've been on MFP fo 5 weeks now. I lost 5lb the first week, half pound the second, 1lb the 3rd and one and a half pounds the 4th giving me a total of 8lb loss over 4 weeks which i'm happy with. I am on 1200 calories a day , weigh now 222lb and am 5ft 1in.

I have numerous health issues and so am unable to do much although i am not as yet in a wheelchair. It does mean though that I normally only go out once a week food shopping and one evening a week to watch my friends play skittles (I drink diet coke on these nights). I don't smoke or drink and I rarely have a sweet tooth. Unfortunately it also means that i am not able to do much exercise although I have been trying to spend short periods of time ( 5-10 mins max) on the wii playing tennis. I am also not able to use weights. So the only way for me to loose weight is by watching my calories.

This week I stayed the same weight ( but i didn't gain thank goodness!). I've looked at the food i've eaten over the last 5 weeks and the main difference this week was that my sweet tooth did strike and I allowed myself to have almost 300 cals of sugar food each day (lemon and lime pie...delicious!!!!) I still kept to my 1200 cals though. I don't eat very healthy as I usually have microwave meals for my main meal as I am usually unable to cook ( due to pain etc). They are normally around the 500 calorie range and I was actually very surprised to find that while they do have a large salt content, I am still very much under my daily allowed amount.

So am I at a plateau or are sugar calories more prone to stay around than carbs and protein!!!!.....LOL Any ideas would be helpful.

First off congrats on the weight loss! Keep it up! Its an amazing journey!
    A calorie is a calorie in the grand scheme of things. If you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight and if you are in a calorie surplus you will gain weight. it is a simple as that. You can get fat off of veggies and lose weight with ding dongs. That is not saying that a nutrient is a nutrient. There is a difference in how some people's body responds to different types of foods, for example those with celiac disease cannot digest gluten (which is a rare disease, most people are NOT gluten intolerant) but i digress.
    When people talk about clean or dirty foods, they are usually talking about how nutrient rich the food is, whether they know it or not. You're body only sees nutrients, so it only sees a protein carb or fat, and the micro nutrients that go along with the food you just ate,
    the proteins carbs and fats, are the macro nutrients that make up your calorie intake, the micro nutrients are the vitamins and minerals your body needs to keep flowing properly.
    So basically to answer your question. Never is a calorie more than a calorie. Your body may not react well to a certain nutrient in the food you eat i.e.. sodium making you retain more water, making you hold more weight. but as long as you are in a calorie deficit enjoy life. You should get your recommended daily servings of fruits and vegetables for your micro nutrients that will keep your body healthy and running smoothly. But have your cake...and eat it it too! Good luck with everything!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Eat 90% whole foods and 10% junk.

Case solved!
    =D
  • 0lightasair
    0lightasair Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. 150 calories of brownie is far smaller in portions than 150 calories of broccoli. The calorie is just a measure of how much energy you are getting from the food. What you eat is linked to your health while how many calories you eat is linked to your weight. Macros begin to play an important role once your body is in the athletic range for fat, muscle and water.

Junk foods encourage your body to retain water, while fresh foods encourage your body to flush water out (mainly because they have a high water content allowing your body to turnover its water more frequently). Usually, water can account for such plateaus or in some cases weight gains.
  • mlfowler
    mlfowler Posts: 15
    Options
    It's so hard not to get discouraged, but stick to it and you will see results! I have personally found that eating protein rich foods that are lower in fat has helped my weight loss efforts. One tip to share with you that may help due to your inability to cook a lot of your meals is to replace the 300 calories sweets with something high in protein and more satisfying. One of my favorites is the cereal Kashi. They make a high protein cereal. It's called GO Lean and you get 13 grams of protein in one cup for 140 calories. Add 1/2 cup of skim milk and 1/2 a banana and you have less than 300 calories but you are getting good nutrition and the protein your body needs to help you loose weight. I also ways go over the protein goal that MFP has set for the 1200 calorie diet but my body has responded well and I am loosing consistently! Good luck on your journey!!!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of different arguments over weather a calorie is a calorie.

I don't believe that all calories are the same. Our bodies do different things with different calories so how could they be the same?

Do you really think that a 150 calorie ding dong, is the same as eating 150 calories of fresh veggies?

I generally don't eat anything that I can't pronounce the ingredients for.

I do have "cheat" meals every here and there.

Agree whole heartedly
  • furby1
    Options
    ""It's so hard not to get discouraged, but stick to it and you will see results! I have personally found that eating protein rich foods that are lower in fat has helped my weight loss efforts. One tip to share with you that may help due to your inability to cook a lot of your meals is to replace the 300 calories sweets with something high in protein and more satisfying. One of my favorites is the cereal Kashi. They make a high protein cereal. It's called GO Lean and you get 13 grams of protein in one cup for 140 calories. Add 1/2 cup of skim milk and 1/2 a banana and you have less than 300 calories but you are getting good nutrition and the protein your body needs to help you loose weight. I also ways go over the protein goal that MFP has set for the 1200 calorie diet but my body has responded well and I am loosing consistently! Good luck on your journey!!!

Sorry didn't see how to do a quote until after i posted!!...LOL

I live in the Uk and they don't seem to sell Kashi here. I normally have muesli for breakfast or sometimes cornflakes with a small banana. I've only just been allowed to start trying fruit again having been banned from eating them for the last 3 years. It seems that I am still unable to eat citric fruit such as oranges, and apples are also a no go. One banana a day is ok and I am also able to eat plums, will be trying grapes this week to see how they go. I will look to see if i can find a high protein cereal.. thanks :)