how I couldve put on weight, what am I doing wrong?

Options
So Ive been really good the past two weeks and I somehow gained 3 lbs this week, I understand some of it could be water weight but I exercised a lot and you can even view my diary. My trainer told me I eat better than he does. I am eating my recommended calories for 1 pound a week and eating back my exercise calories. I realize its only a few weeks but the first weeks is when you tend to shed at least a few pounds. Can anyone help me out?

Replies

• CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Personally I think you are doing a perfect job, firstly how much do you weigh?
    It might be your body, how much do you exercise a day? Whats your activity level set on here.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    There is always cyclic weight related issues.

When did you weigh yourself? There are a few days that have no exercise logged, there is nothing wrong with this, but I have found my weight goes up if I do not exercise for a couple of days (and then drops back down after the exercise days).

Eating back exercise calories is ok so long as you are very accurate with logging your food in and your exercise burn.

When you say you exercised a lot what have you been doing, I ask because I do not see big numbers for calories burnt.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I usually do interval training running, 3 times a week and then calisthenics/weight lifting exercise twice week. I try to get 6 days a week in but sometimes my body doesn't let me after weight lifting days. I usually burn around 300-400 calories per exercise session. I weight currently 191.5 lbs at 5'3. Even with water weight, Im not really understanding whats happened. This is just very frustrating. :-(
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. If you've been eating at a calorie deficit (which it sounds like you have) then it's not 3 lbs of fat. Our weight fluctuates all the time, and if you've been exercising more than you did in the past, then it's very likely that your muscles are retaining water. Give it more time, and that will come off. A lot of people do have a big loss in the first week or too, but not everyone.

Your diary looks pretty good to me, so just keep doing what you're doing and you'll start to see results on the scale. Are you taking measurements of your body too? You might see inch loss, even if the scale isn't behaving.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thank you, that does make me feel better. I did a really hard workout yesterday with lifting and am very sore. I didnt know muscles retained water after lifting so it probably wasn't a good weigh in day to choose. Ill keep doing what Im doing and maybe try to up my cardio a little bit and hopefully it works out next week or within the month. :-)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Even with water weight, Im not really understanding whats happened. This is just very frustrating. :-(

Please don't get frustrated. Honestly, unless you've over eaten by about 3,500 calories (to wipe out your deficit) and then eaten about another 10,500 calories on top of that... it's not a gain of 3 lbs of fat!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all your food and not estimating it.

195 calories for 15 minutes jogging does sound quite a bit, though not impossible by any means (can't guess whether it's correct or not without knowing your weight which your profile doesn't give) but it makes me wonder how are estimating the exercise calories that you're eating.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    So Ive been really good the past two weeks and I somehow gained 3 lbs this week, I understand some of it could be water weight but I exercised a lot and you can even view my diary. My trainer told me I eat better than he does. I am eating my recommended calories for 1 pound a week and eating back my exercise calories. I realize its only a few weeks but the first weeks is when you tend to shed at least a few pounds. Can anyone help me out?

Your body is comprised of a lot of water. Water fluctuations can make your weight vary up to 10lbs.

If it ain't TDEE+3500 calories then it ain't 1lb of fat.
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options

Are you sore from exercising? If you muscles are inflamed, you could be holding water. Some people have this problem but not everyone.

Also I want to share my story. Years ago when I began exercising, after six weeks I would stop because I always gained 14 to 15 pounds. Folks would comment about my weight loss and I would :noway: do one of these because my scales said otherwise. I would stop working out because it seemed futile. I asked the doc and I was told to cut down on my calories. But I had and I still gained weight. Feb of 2006 I began working out not to lose weight but to get control over my blood glucose numbers. Again I gained weight, again I got compliments and questions about my weight loss :huh: . I didn't see it but I continued because my blood glucose numbers began coming down. My motivation became not going blind, losing my toes and feet so I ignored the weight gain.

I worked my way up to 10,000 steps a day and within six months I dropped the extra 15 pounds and I continued on. I then picked up some exercise DVDs, Leslie Sanson, and soldered on with my numbers dropping even further, still no weight loss but I dropped three dress sizes and people wanted to know how I lost all that weight :yawn: I continued on and then I hit 3.5 years of daily walking, DVDing and then ... A two piece summer dress I had purchased one year before got pulled out of the closest because it was a hot day (mid-July). I put the skirt on over my head and the darn thing fell to the floor :noway: I ran to the scales and I had lost 35 pounds and I don't know when. It was somewhere between year 3 and year 3.5.

By the way I changed endocrinologists and found out I have Metabolic Syndrome. One of the "syndromes," one's body holds on to the fat cells for dear life. I was gaining muscle, which caused me to look thinner, but the fat was hanging on. Then one day the fat couldn't hold on anymore.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale. Something our estimating on food is higher than it should be.
  • stephaniekneld
    Options
    Also... how close to your period are you? Many women hold more water about 3 days before their period, and it will come off about 3 days after you begin the menses. It pays to keep this in mind when weighiing in, and you will notice it every month.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing and add in a little patience. =)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

^ Yup. Read that.

And don't sweat it! 3lb gain is normal especially for women. Sadly our weight will fluctuate quite a bit throughout the month. Just keep doing your thing. The long-term trend is the only thing that really matters.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Throw away the scale and rely only on measuring tapes and the mirror.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Probably water weight. BUT

You may be underestimating how much you eat.

You may be overestimating your calorie burn during workouts.
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! Sometimes this just does not make sense!!
  • peppermintpatty66
    Options
    By the looks of your diary I think you are doing great. If you exercised a lot you could be building muscle which weighs more than fat so that could be your gain which is not a bad thing. It is good to build muscle. Don't give up. You may have a big loss shortly.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^this^^^^^ without fail, the best indicator of my impending period is a gain of 2-3 pounds. Last week I had gained 2 pounds over the weekend, but by friday I had lost 3.5!
  • colonial96
    colonial96 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a marathon - the last time I lost a lot of weight I would notice it in my clothes before the scale caught up. Keep working hard - we're here to support you!