Look and feel fatter and weigh more 1 wk of P90?

Options
tenpets
tenpets Posts: 423 Member
Okay, So after eating well (1500 calories) and doing P90 for 6 days I look and feel bigger and I gained 4 lb! Really stops enthusiasm!

Replies

• nathanas85
    nathanas85 Posts: 19
    Options
    Perhaps I can help. You need to trust the science of the program, and b) are you using the P90 nutrition plan?
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Carbs? could be what you are eating....or perhaps you should give the system a little longer to see results. Don't get discouraged!!!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh yourself in the morning, after using the restroom, wearing the same (minimal) clothing?
    Did you drink enough water?

If the answer to any of these questions are no, then it's probably water/food weight.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Ok, 6 days is not long enough to gain 4 pounds of fat or muscle, so worry not. Lol. it's probably just water weight.
  • tailwhipn68
    tailwhipn68 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. I'm on Day 2 of Phase 2. I only lost 2 lbs the first 30 days BUT I lost 12 inches all over. 3 just off of my waist. I was retaining fluid and dropped 7 lbs over night (after the scale went up!!). Measure yourself and don't depend on the scale. Follow the portions suggestions for the meal plan. It works!
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Muscle repair holds on to water.
    Hence your "gain".

Throw away your scales people, they don't tell you anything about your body!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    This is something another MFP member posted just a few hours ago...It's Chalene Johnson on Why the scale goes up when we start a new workout program....HTH!! :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/595473-why-the-scale-goes-up-with-a-new-workout-program-must-read
  • tailwhipn68
    tailwhipn68 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you are drinking enough water!! You are only eating 1500 cals a day? Is that total?
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Every new workout routine creates inflammation and water retention in the muscles and other tissues.

This is temporary! The best time to weigh yourself is the morning after a rest day. You'll be happy with what you see!
  • nathanas85
    nathanas85 Posts: 19
    Options
    Some good points here, scales can be misleading. Check your body fat percentage with a caliper.
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Check this out too... don't give up!

www.turbokick.com/wblog/?p=709
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    This is precisely why I won't weigh or measure my clients until at least a month into a new program, preferably 6 weeks. When you first start a new program, especially a weight training program, the body adapts by increasing the glycogen storage in the muscles to fuel future workouts. This is actually the beginning step to being able to build more actual muscle in the future, so it is essential and a good thing. Unfortunately, when the muscles store glycogen, they store it in 3 times as much water. So, if you store an extra pound of glycogen, it's stored in 3 pounds of water, which means you gain 4 pounds. This is scary for people who are focused on the scale because they see the gain since it is so much easier to store glycogen and water then it is to lose fat. Eventually, though, the glycogen storage will max out (which is when you can actually start gaining muscle fiber size and density) and the fat loss will catch up. Just be consistent and ignore the scale for a few weeks.
  • insightdean
    insightdean Posts: 19
    Options
    Could it be water and muscle? Stay on it for a month and measure the difference in waist size and don't worry about the weight.
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Also, take before pics.....you will be glad you did so that you can compare. The scale is torture!
  • tenpets
    Options
    Did you weigh yourself in the morning, after using the restroom, wearing the same (minimal) clothing?
    Did you drink enough water?

If the answer to any of these questions are no, then it's probably water/food weight.

Yes, to all of the above.
  • tenpets
    Options
    Also, take before pics.....you will be glad you did so that you can compare. The scale is torture!

Thanks, I took pics and measurements last weekend.
  • tenpets
    Options
    This is precisely why I won't weigh or measure my clients until at least a month into a new program, preferably 6 weeks. When you first start a new program, especially a weight training program, the body adapts by increasing the glycogen storage in the muscles to fuel future workouts. This is actually the beginning step to being able to build more actual muscle in the future, so it is essential and a good thing. Unfortunately, when the muscles store glycogen, they store it in 3 times as much water. So, if you store an extra pound of glycogen, it's stored in 3 pounds of water, which means you gain 4 pounds. This is scary for people who are focused on the scale because they see the gain since it is so much easier to store glycogen and water then it is to lose fat. Eventually, though, the glycogen storage will max out (which is when you can actually start gaining muscle fiber size and density) and the fat loss will catch up. Just be consistent and ignore the scale for a few weeks.

Thanks for the information. It is very helpful. I would be afraid to not weigh each week fearing that at the end of the 6 weeks, I'd have gained a lot. I hate these head games!
  • tenpets
    Options
    Also make sure you are drinking enough water!! You are only eating 1500 cals a day? Is that total?

Drinking at least 9 8oz glasses of water (usually more).
    I'm 49 body fat 37.8% (UGH), 64" weight 171. I calculated my TDEE using a sedentary job with working out moderately 3-5d/wk. That came to around 2268. I subtracted 500 to lose weight and got 1768. My BMR is 1463. So, I eat between 1500-1700 staying closer to the 1500.

Here's a typical day:
    B
    fat free creamer & coffee
    2 eggs and (2) 40 calorie high fiber toast plain OR 3/4 c. (dry) oatmeal

L
    4-5 oz of protein (meat or cottage cheese)
    veggies (lower carb)
    High fiber high protein wrap (sometimes)
    piece of fruit

D
    4-5 oz protein
    veggies (lower carb)

S air popped popcorn with pam and a little butter spinkles (no fat or calories) OR 1 oz beef jerky (plain)

I have been enjoying a glass or two of red wine with dinner recently (included in my calories) and I just decided to cut that out.

I also think I need to incorporate a protein powder someplace, but am not sure where?

We work out at night after work before we fix supper. I feel pretty spent afterwards.

My goal is to lose weight, decrease BF, and get stronger!
  • tenpets
    Options
    Check this out too... don't give up!

www.turbokick.com/wblog/?p=709

Thanks for the link. I found it very helpful!:smile: