Those who are over halfway to your goal...

Options
Elizabeth_C34
Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
Post one tip here that you wish you knew when you got started.

My tip: You are going to screw up along the way. Just dust yourself off and keep moving forward. Don't give up.

Replies

• seeeekret
    seeeekret Posts: 19
    Options
    It's OKAY to have "bad" food every once in a while. Cutting out entire food groups only leads to black and white thinking and binging.
  • Mase3000
    Mase3000 Posts: 4
    Options
    TAKE A CHILL PILL!!! LOL! Going to the gym everyday is not a great idea! Your body needs rest so give it some R&R.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    TAKE A CHILL PILL!!! LOL! Going to the gym everyday is not a great idea! Your body needs rest so give it some R&R.

That's a really good one!

One more: Don't forget to celebrate the non-scale victories. Those are the ones that keep you going when the going gets tough.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    Bump for reference and motivation.

Thanks for the tips!
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    It helps to think about your weight loss goals in small increments. When I thought of losing 85 lbs, it felt....overwhelming and insurmountable.

Small goals, reward yourself, and honour the little victories. You'll get there. :)
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    If you are managing your intake & exercising but the scale number isn't going down, that doesn't mean nothing's happening. Exercise changes your body more than you would expect...yes, even if you're still very large! It took me 10 months to lose 7 lbs but I worked out faithfully the entire time, & was rewarded with a noticeably smaller midsection & a full size decrease in pants size. My arms even got smaller.

My tip: Keep persevering even if you don't think you're getting any results! We also have a way of seeing ourselves differently than others see us...sometimes you can't trust what you see in the mirror every day. :)

progress-2012-05.jpg

ETA: Ditto what Allie said. Solid advice. Lose over 100 lbs? No one can do that. But lose 5 lbs? I can handle that. I take it 2-5 lbs at a time to get me to my next milestone (85 lbs lost is my next one). Start with the first 5 & worry about the next 5 when you get there. Approaching it this way gives you a bunch of small, achievable goals that can be reached in a relatively short period of time so you have opportunities to feel successful!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    If you are managing your intake & exercising but the scale number isn't going down, that doesn't mean nothing's happening. Exercise changes your body more than you would expect...yes, even if you're still very large! It took me 10 months to lose 7 lbs but I worked out faithfully the entire time, & was rewarded with a noticeably smaller midsection & a full size decrease in pants size. My arms even got smaller.

My tip: Keep persevering even if you don't think you're getting any results! We also have a way of seeing ourselves differently than others see us...sometimes you can't trust what you see in the mirror every day. :)

progress-2012-05.jpg

ETA: Ditto what Allie said. Solid advice. Lose over 100 lbs? No one can do that. But lose 5 lbs? I can handle that. I take it 2-5 lbs at a time to get me to my next milestone (85 lbs lost is my next one). Start with the first 5 & worry about the next 5 when you get there. Approaching it this way gives you a bunch of small, achievable goals that can be reached in a relatively short period of time so you have opportunities to feel successful!

You look so great! I'm so proud to have watched your progress over the last year! Congrats hon!
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I consider myself kind of lucky, because my doctor gave me a ton of reading material to kickstart my journey as well as handing me over to a good physical therapist and sports med doc to help out as well. I also have a lot friends in the medical community including an MRI technition who has the uncanny ability to consume inhuman quantities of beer.
    What I can say is, if you have a long journey ahead of you (translation: you are pretty darn big when you start) you WILL get ridiculed a lot. Do not let it stop you. Just keep looking forward. It won't last forever.
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    When you think you're not running fast enough, or reaching your goal fast enough or you don't think you look as good as you think you should, remember how far you've come since you started.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    It's okay to eat more calories lol and exercise more.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    IGNORE THE SCALE, IGNORE THE SCALE, IGNORE THE SCALE, IGNORE THE SCALE, IGNORE THE SCALE, IGNORE THE SCALE. Since I've gone back to work, I've only lost 2 pounds in 5 weeks but lost 3 inches from my waist. The scale means nothing and nobody knows that number but you. Focus on how you look, not some arbitrary number.
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Some awesome advise from everyone.
    Constantly change things around to see what works the best for you. Don't get used to one workout routine, or one type of diet. Try it all and keep the mind and body in constant confusion. And exercise can be fun (if you do the workouts that makes your happy). And know that there will be bad days ahead of you, but don't give up b/c it will get better :-)
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Screw the scale. Be more active. Experiment, but in healthy ways. Love your lifestyle :-)
  • PHS7
    PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Be patient. You didn't get your current body shape overnight so don't expect to change it overnight. Also, NSV are more important than being obsessed with the scale.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Don't be nervous about trying new classes. Group exercise helps challenge you to keep working hard and keeps you from getting bored. Nobody's judging you negatively for sweating and panting and struggling. Keep it up! It pays off and gets easier.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Take measurements. They are much more telling than the scale, especially once you get down to those last few pounds.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,041 Member
    Options
    Always count how much you've done rather than how far you have still got to go.

Push your limits -- they will MOVE!
  • Michelleypoo82
    Options
    Think of this as a lifestyle change. Allow yourself some treats once in a while and don't be hard on yourself. Just keep persevering, and know that every healthy bite you eat and each minute of exercise is adding on to your quality of life. You will get there! Think positively! I'd also second what others have said about not always relying on the scale and switching your food and workout routines. You are in a good place. Stick with us! :)
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Strength training is much more important than you may think. Even if you're starting out in the obese category, lift weights!
  • missmelissavpk
    missmelissavpk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    TAKE PICTURES EVERY 4 WEEKS: front view and side view without a shirt on. No body needs to see them but you. This way, when the number on the scale isn't going anywhere, or your feeling unmotivated, you can compare pics and SEE how much of a difference you have made. No matter what the scale said, my pictures were my biggest motivator.