Serving Size Question

Nutty4Health
Nutty4Health Posts: 3 Member
I believe I have been miscalculating serving sizes for the recipes I have creatied. I wish feedback on the following example.

Can someone tell me what is the correct serving size for the following recipe:

One cup of Quinoa is noted on the container as a serving size for 4
One packet of Soybean also is a serving size for 4

When i combined both into a recipe, is the serving size 4 or 8?

Thanks,
Ken

Replies

• redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    If you add the cup of quinoa (serves 4) to the packet of soybean (serves 4), then it'll serve 8.

Do you have digital scales?
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    I would enter it into your recipes and see what the calorie, carb,.... is in the recipe. Make the decision how many servings you want it to be and only eat that which fits into your diary. Don't always believe what the package tells you a serving size is.
  • Nutty4Health
    Now that is what I was thinking... both serving sizes of 4 would increase the actual total quantity of food to 8 servings.

I think I have been penalizing myself by recording higher calorie counts.

As you see the first responder had a contrary view. Which still leaves me confused regarding what is correct.

You asked about a digital scale. I do own one. How might I use it to calculate serving sizes?
  • Nutty4Health
    I would enter it into your recipes and see what the calorie, carb,.... is in the recipe. Make the decision how many servings you want it to be and only eat that which fits into your diary. Don't always believe what the package tells you a serving size is.

Good point!
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    When making my own recipes I total the entire recipe then divide by how many serving I want it to be. If it's still too high, then I go from 4 servings to 6 or whatever.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Nutty4Health wrote:
    You asked about a digital scale. I do own one. How might I use it to calculate serving sizes?

Firstly, for solid foods, weight is more accurate than volume. There's a youtube video somewhere that shows that.

Secondly, you can adjust by smaller amounts if you use weight (e.g. single grams). If you use cups, you have to adjust by standard fractions of cups.

Here's the process:
    1. Create the recipe the way you want. Record the weights as you go.
    2. See how many servings you get
    3. Adjust and improve the recipe each time you make it. Record the new weights each time.

That's it.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    When I use the recepie builder, I look at is as how many people are going to be eating this?

And then try to give everyone equal servings so I know the calories for me are accurate
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 289 Member
    like previous people have saidput in all the ingredents and devide it by what ever you want but most things will tell you the serving size in oz as well as cups so if you calculate it that way it might be easier to measure how much a serving sise is after your done cooking but with rice and pastas expect the weight to atleast tripple i looked it up once and thats what i found if u doubt me feel free to double check